A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
868 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ruffly-collared blouse  (Read 2625 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kp
« on: October 04, 2005 06:09:13 PM »

so i've been knitting (but i promise this is a sewing question) a sweater from rowan's 'vintage style.'  several sweaters in the book are photographed with these chiffony-looking little collars peeking out from underneath.  'salina,' 'demi' and the purple cardigan with all the little buttons ('joy') on this page, for example...

http://www.theknittinggarden.com/ro-magvintagestyle.htm

i really like the idea of prettying up a sweater (and hopefully protecting my neck from scratchy wool) with something like this...so does anyone know of a pattern for a ruffly-collared blouse?  it would be nice to have something that looked good on its own, but maybe i should just try gathering a bit of fabric and sewing it to the neckline of a plain old shirt...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kp
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005 06:56:23 PM »

sorry if this isn't posted in *quite* the right place...it seemed like the best fit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mmd32
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005 04:35:23 AM »

Well, I don't knit, except straight up one or two stitch scarves, but I do sew Cheesy . I would do it exactly how you said; get the fabric and ruffle it, and apply to the underside of the collar. On the Salina one, it looks like it tapers a little, higher in back and narrower in front, so you would curve the fabric a little, like this (l Okay, that looks bad, but you know what I mean! and then ruffle as normal.

HTH!

Murali
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005 04:42:13 PM »

Interweave Knits magzine fall 05 has a pattern for a 'grek pullover' that has a little ribbon ruffle sewn to the cuffs/ neckline. Maybe that'd give you an idea of how to attach things?

I know you can get mock collars, i just cant think where one would get them these days.
(not quite helpful, but i have a vintage pattern book with a  pattern for a mock sweater-front. To go under business jackets. But it has no sleeves or back.... very, very odd. Someone pointed out to me it'd be a way of making an expensive yarn go 'further' (youd only need half as much, as you would for a sweater).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kp
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005 05:28:16 PM »

thank you so much for the help.  if i ever get around to it, i think i'm just going to try replacing the collar (and cuffs) of a regular button-up shirt pattern with little ruffles.  if it looks like poop, i'll do some more research.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Divinity Candy Recipe
Pineapple Upside Down Cake Recipe
Black Forest Cupcake Recipe
How to Make a Raspberry Torte
4 Recipe Ideas for Halloween Candy
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...