A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,586
Currently Running With Scissors:
455 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: One Tiny Thing swap?  (Read 2129 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Writer78
« on: October 04, 2005 01:37:10 PM »

I've been feeling commitment-phobic after doing a bunch of swaps.  (I'm very blessed - I've had nothing but positive swap experiences - I've just done a lot in a short period and got tired out from having a constant "to do" list and lots of boxes/packets to ship.)  So I'm on the prowl for easy swaps.  I think I'm spoiled by the awesome Unconditional Swap, wherein I've been able to hand-pick my recipients and give them single, simple gifts.

My idea is along the lines of the Instant Swap, but perhaps even simpler - you just have to make and send one small gift.  Could be a pair of earrings, a decoupaged Altoid tin, a ball of hand-spun yarn, a tiny piece of artwork, a brooch/pin, a polymer clay figure, a felt stuffie, whatever you make that is small in size and relatively easy to make.

The rules would be simple - you can only send one small gift.  That way, it doesn't become a matter of, "I'm adding goodies to your package!" and then the other person feels obligated to add to theirs.  (Or you send off one thing, and you receive a "surprise" of five tiny gifts, and you feel like a jerk for not sending more.)  Also, it cuts down on the time that the swap will run, and hopefully it cuts down on flaking, as it's just one thing and not expensive to ship.  And since you only have one thing to make, you can put your attention into making it the best it can be.

The other rule would be that you have to make the gift - couldn't be a craft supply.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fidget
You have my undivided atten...Look! A bunny!

la-da-dee la-da-daa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005 02:05:28 PM »

Sounds like a good idea.  This fits my style, abilities and attention span.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I feed my soul with the stitches I sew.
My Wists
I practice random acts of kindness at random moments for random reasons.
decibel
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005 02:39:07 PM »

I like this idea! Cheesy Especially the idea of not having to feel obliged to add all the "extra surprises", which are nice to receive and to give, but also puts a lot of pressure on all involved. I'm not cheap, I just don't like peer pressure.

A cool alternative: Send as many items you want as long as it fits into *this* small box/bag/envelope!
Like an Altoids tin, a small zip-lock, the smallest Jiffy, a C5 envelope... or something of equally "universal" measures.
(That could actually be a fun challenge!?)

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Writer78
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005 04:47:23 PM »

I'm actually starting to get pretty revved up about this one!  It would be so simple, and it would have a short turn-around time, so it wouldn't drag on for weeks.

In mulling it over, I've thought of a few more things:

- I would list examples of "tiny."  The item would have to use skills that you have developed, so that you can send something very good.  A marble magnet would not be enough effort/skill.  A coin purse would be fine, but you would be encouraged to embellish it and make it the sort of coin purse that makes people stop and say, "Wow."

- I might rename is "Tiny Treasure Swap" so that people realize it's got to be something really well-made.

- I appreciate the "fill a small container idea," but since it's been done before, I would prefer to stick to "just send one thing" for this one.  I find myself wondering how I would take one tiny craft and make it extra fabulous; that would be the real challenge.

Let me continue kicking this around, and I may just start it as an official swap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nutritiongal
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005 06:34:39 PM »

I'm all for this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Back after a fews years of inactivity and looking forward to getting back into crafting!

Visit my blog: http://roaringtwentieskerri.blogspot.com/
Fidget
You have my undivided atten...Look! A bunny!

la-da-dee la-da-daa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005 06:37:29 PM »

- I might rename is "Tiny Treasure Swap" so that people realize it's got to be something really well-made.
Tiny sounds like the swap is for miniatures.  How about "small" instead?  Just a thought...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I feed my soul with the stitches I sew.
My Wists
I practice random acts of kindness at random moments for random reasons.
super geek
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

"She does it at mealtimes, in the loo..."

KnitWhore

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005 06:38:52 PM »

Well, would, say, a long, very skinny scarf count?  Or, ,say, a tiny clutch?  A mini notebook?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just  because you've got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn't mean we all have"

I'm back!  Older, wiser, and better at crafting Smiley.
loves2experiment
Swap Moderator
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Irreverent. Indomitable. Incorrigible.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005 06:43:25 PM »

This sounds like a terrific idea!  I'm a new swapper and I'd like to start off easy.  I'll have to keep an eye on this so that I can sign up! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...loves to experiment...not a monogamous crafter...

STS Spring Market 2014
KCGal
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005 07:27:51 PM »

Great idea...count me in.  Piglet ("a very small animal") would be proud.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sweet_Enemy
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005 07:31:53 PM »

I think this is a great idea.  Shipping costs would be easier too. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Spice Up Your Tailgating Recipes
How to Make the Perfect Tailgating Burger
How to Make Paleo Stuffed Peppers
Perfect Tailgate Foods: Healthy Sausage Options
Favorite Game Day Treats Under 300 Calories
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...