A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
636 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Privacy fence alternatives?  (Read 8707 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

archer*of*loaf
Lip them

Audiowhore, sucking on sound

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2005 07:41:00 AM »

I'm wondering if any of you crafty folk can help me come up with some ideas for an alternative to manufactured fencing.  My husband and I just bought our first home a few months ago and want to fence in the yard before the ground freezes.  Aside from our super nosey neighbors, we are planning to adopt a dog in the not-so-distant future and we need to block in the yard.  Besides, I've got gardening to plan and my great, great grandfather's heirloom morning glory seeds to plant.

Anyway, I'm adamantly opposed to chain link fence.  I really like the idea of wood fencing but after shopping around, I'm sick of looking at the same old boring options.  I'd be willing to work on building my own, but I don't even have the slightest idea of where to start.  Anyone do this themselves?  Can anyone suggest anything?

I would need the fence to be at a minimum of five feet tall and since the whole point is privacy (and keeping a squirrelly puppy in), it can't have large, open spaces.

Help!  Anyone? 

Thanks!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And hoping for an early death you swam so far you lost your breath, and struggling in the ebb and flow I took your hand, but you let go...
And now the ocean fills your lungs, and now you've got what you had come for, resting peaceful as you sink to drown under a sea of strangers.

-E. Bachmann
modpodge
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005 07:47:42 AM »

As far as privacy goes, years ago my mother planted these huge lilac bushes in a row (in lieu of a fence). I don't think that would keep in a puppy though! Have you considered an ornate iron fence?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
archer*of*loaf
Lip them

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005 07:49:55 AM »

I have thought about iron, yes, but for what I'm looking for we'd pay a fortune for a small piece.  I sooo wish I could afford that.  Thanks, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And hoping for an early death you swam so far you lost your breath, and struggling in the ebb and flow I took your hand, but you let go...
And now the ocean fills your lungs, and now you've got what you had come for, resting peaceful as you sink to drown under a sea of strangers.

-E. Bachmann
modpodge
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005 07:53:51 AM »

Don't know what your price range is, but a quick Google search turned up this site: http://www.calibamboo.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LivinEasy

Eat Cheese. Be Happy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005 08:01:31 AM »

I'm a huge fan of the bamboo and willow fencing options. http://www.mastergardenproducts.com/willowfencesandmore.htm
I like the way they blend into the rest of the yard and they aren't too hard on the wallet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fidget
You have my undivided atten...Look! A bunny!

la-da-dee la-da-daa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005 08:12:06 AM »

On the subject of puppies and fences, may I suggest laying landscaping timbers end to end along the bottom of the fence?  This will keep Phydeaux from digging or push his way out under the fence.  To anchor them in place, drill holes at each end and hammer in sections of rebar.

Good luck with your search.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I feed my soul with the stitches I sew.
My Wists
I practice random acts of kindness at random moments for random reasons.
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005 08:12:53 AM »

You picked the perfect time to put up a privacy fence.  The home improvement centers have their wood fencing on sale now.  Chain link fence will keep the puppy in, but it won't give you any privacy, and if you have a mean neighbor, they can throw things at the pup.  (I had that happen, a neighbor boy killed a dog of mine)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pedeka

I love being a girl.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005 08:19:07 AM »

Why don't you go with the same old cheap boring options and grow that heirloom morning glory over it to cover the boringness up? Or just put the cheap one up and paint it an unexpected color?( On the inside - you don't want to give the neighbors any more reasons to be nosey)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LivinEasy

Eat Cheese. Be Happy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005 08:20:44 AM »

Ooh, I like the idea of painting the wood an unexpected color. Nice idea, pedeka.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

archer*of*loaf
Lip them

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005 09:01:55 AM »

Wow, you guys are great.  I'm at work now and I posted my question before I left for lunch.  I'm back now and I had a bunch of options waiting for me! 

modpodge and LivinEasy:  I LOVE the idea of using bamboo!  How cool!  I haven't looked into pricing yet but I'm hoping that it's something affordable because this is beautiful!

Fidget:  Thanks for this idea!  This will be our first dog and I never would have thought to put something at the bottom of the fence to keep the dog from digging his/her way out.

GloryB:  I can't believe someone did that to your dog!  How terrible!  Luckily our neighborhood has lots of dogs so our neighbors are used to having them around.  The privacy portion of the fence is just to keep the old guys on both sides of us from looking in the yard when we have company over.  Besides, my husband has this weird thing about getting up in the morning and smoking a cigarette in the yard wearing just his undies.  His opinion is that the neighbors should be minding their own business anyway so they have no right to complain.  I can't help but think that we're the newest people on the block and I'd like to keep the peace.

Pedeka:  My mom did the same thing (chain link fence with morning glories) at her house.  It's really pretty and it might be our only option if I can't settle on something else.  We shall see, I guess.

Any other suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-E. Bachmann
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a 6 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 3/4
How to Crochet a 5 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 3/3
How to Crochet a 5 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 2/3
How to Crochet a 5 Stitch Ruffle Border
How to Crochet a 4 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 2/3
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...