A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,321
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My finnished flapper wedding gown  (Read 4164 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sweet Bunny
« on: October 04, 2005 06:40:46 AM »

I got married in September.  I bought a 20's era silk gown and altered it keeping in the theme of the fashion of that time period.   

I made the veil and other decor with antique looking lace, ribbon, and silk flowers from a place in Seattle.  I can't remember the name of it, but it's on Queen Anne.
Enjoy!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012 09:33:06 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creation is the Opposite of Depression
lararum
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005 06:46:28 AM »

Great job!  That dress was a great find.  You look gorgeous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kristiface
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005 08:28:58 AM »

That came out fantastic!  And I love how the picture of you with your family members looks like you've done a time warp!  Completely awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Joy is but the sign that creative emotion is fulfilling its purpose.
-- Charles Du Bos
paradisecrane
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005 12:34:09 PM »

Oh wow! I love the whole look, the black and white photos, the lilies! it looks wonderful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Anyone want to swap ATCs?
Visit my shop!
http://applearabesque.etsy.com/
BlackMarketBaby
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005 01:03:05 PM »

Gorgeous, romantic, & lovely.
Congratulations!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littledoe
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005 01:36:34 PM »

Breathtaking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nebtraehi
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005 08:26:17 PM »

stellar. simply. stellar.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pixandpug
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005 06:42:57 AM »

You look absolutely beautiful!! I love it...

I am getting married in January and though not really having a 'theme' - My dress and my hair etc will be 30's/40's inspired. I have short hair like yours and I am still trying to figure out exactly how I will have it done. I love what you did with yours. Did you just show a pic to your hairdresser?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
philodendron5
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005 05:10:50 PM »

What a lovely wedding! Your pictures make it seem like you were sent back in time to the 20's.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Meatwad: I'm satan's onion... or scallion, something like that.

Frylock: I think you mean minion.

Meatwad: oh yeah, that's right.
Sweet Bunny
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005 08:40:14 AM »

Thank you all so much.  I love the 20's and my wedding was a perfect way to express it.  It was also a homage (sp?) to my late grandmother. Kiss

As for my hair, I simply used a curling iron and made ringlets since my hair is short.  Then I curled my bangs to make them more old fashioned.  I wanted to do fingerwaves, but I'm in a rural area with a lot of insects and I was too hot to experiment with a bunch of product in my hair. I would have had to do it myself. Though it would have looked even more authentic for the 20's.
Honestly, I didn't seek professionals for anything in the wedding b/c I'm an extreme d.i.y. kind of person and I think everything came out perfectly.
http://www.nocturne.com/swing/hair/hair.html   This is a good site for vintage hair ideas.  Good Luck and Congratulations!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Creation is the Opposite of Depression
pixandpug
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005 08:36:34 PM »

Thankyou!!

I can't believe you did your hair by yourself!! It looks amazing!

I am trying to do everything by myself - my mum and I are currently working on my dress and I will make invitations etc. Our wedding is only very small and untraditional. I would do my own hair but I am beyond hopeless when it comes to that stuff. It is usually very short for that very reason but I have been growing it for the wedding and it is driving me crazy! The day after I am going to have it all cut off! We are getting married in Paris (Pierre is French and I am Australian) in the Mairie in front of the Pantheon and then will have a small reception at the Luxembourg Palace before taking everyone on a grand tour of Paris in a 1940's bus! It is in January and it will be freezing....

Thanks again for your advice...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arimethia
The likes of you

Look out, Portland. I'm so indie.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2005 10:26:18 AM »

Your wedding is so pretty! I had planned to wear my Grandmother's wedding dress (She was married in 1924) but she didn't save it and I couldn't find a picture of it to make it in time.
You looked beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lady---luck

try to remember what sun feels like on your face

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2005 10:32:47 AM »

could the place have been "nancy's sewing basket?" my friend's mom owns the store (i'm from magnolia, myself, but i'm in college in southern california - i miss seattle terribly!). i love their ribbon room!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I read once that the ancient Egyptians had fifty words for sand and the Eskimos had a hundred words for snow. I wish I had a thousand words for love, but all that comes to mind is the way you move against me while you sleep and there are no words for that. "
- Brian Andreas
S.C.K.

Not everything is obvious, explore...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2006 11:06:01 AM »

your blog was really amazing, some of the pictures ahve inspired me into making some awesome things, thank you
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The 5 Pieces You Need to Transition Into Fall
How To Get Vanessa Hudgens Boho Look For Less
Worst Dressed of the 2013 MTV VMAs
Best Dressed of the MTV VMAs
United States in Style: Portland
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...