A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,045
Currently Running With Scissors:
582 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: trad. Mongolian wet-felting technique mixed with modern  (Read 33957 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lexis
dreamer

waist deep

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2005 11:10:42 AM »

Jane- Thanks so much for the wonderful tut on mongolian felting. Theres something about it being Mongolian that speaks to me. Call me a culture geek.  Smiley
Now - I have never done any of this before but I am thinking that this would be a great thing to do with my honey as a great weekend project.
I also happened to land some unidentified wool roving the other day and Teamwang suggested I check this out before i send it all away to her.  Wink
I am going to just wing it with what i've got i think. should be fun. Now to my questions.
You mentioned that you can felt onto another type of fabric or felt. What do you think would happen if i tried that acrylic craft felt as a base? or thick 100% wool felt? Or use it as a middle layer? I guess it wouldnt bind to the other stuff?
I think you also mentioned adding other small things like fabric scraps, etc. Whats the extent of this? Threads, fabric bits, glitters, n' stuff... ?(can you tell i like to push the limits in projects?  Smiley )
I also have lots of heavy duty wool felt and felted sweater scraps...any way i can incorporate these into the project??? what are good fabric types to bind to? I know thin silk was in a project somewhere on here..
I guess where i am going is that i like to try to incorporate as much of my pre-existing materials into a project rather than going out and buying all new. Call me the resourceful and thrifty crafter... I have a huge bag of scraps i cant throw away. lol!  Tongue
I also really want to combine felt and leather. I think there is a SUPER comfy slipper or bootie somewhere out there with those materials.....? Grin
Okay- enough questions outta me. Thanks in advance for indulging my curious side.  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005 11:18:12 AM by lexis » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lexis
dreamer

waist deep

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2005 02:37:04 PM »

Oh! Another question!  Grin
I looked harder at the roving I have and noticed that one of them is really natural. Beige coloured, and has quite a bit of that lanolin resin on it. Its also been half-assed spun,-eg)spun in sections, tufts in other sections... Can i still use this for wet felting? Or is the lanolin going to affect the process? Or is that good? lol.   Cheesy I know the lanolin is good for your skin.
What about dying it? I wonder if that would affect it? Or maybe not.
Ok i'll shut up now. thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jane Doe
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2005 05:49:20 AM »

Glad you found the tutorial useful!
This kind of felting is something I'd definitely recommend doing with close friends. It's a bunch of laughs, everyone gets to be creative, it's a bit of a workout, and you're left with a unique cuddly item  Smiley

What do you think would happen if i tried that acrylic craft felt as a base? or thick 100% wool felt? Or use it as a middle layer? I guess it wouldnt bind to the other stuff?

I haven't tried adding craft felt to wet felt as yet. My first instincts when reading your post, were that it wouldn't work.
 Felt shrinks a huge amount while being made, and when one includes fabric, it all 'bunches up' by the time you've got your final product.
Eg, the band on my hat was made from a loose weave material.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=51908.0
So I would have thought that if you tried to wet felt on to craft felt, it would also bunch up rather than shrink further.
 HoweverCaedara has made these wet felted items and from what I understand, she has said that she made the spots in the first items out of craft felt and incorporated them into her wet felt work.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=63055.0
So in closing, I'm not sure anymore!

I think you also mentioned adding other small things like fabric scraps, etc. Whats the extent of this? Threads, fabric bits, glitters, n' stuff... ?(can you tell i like to push the limits in projects?  Smiley )

As far as adding other media into felt, the only criteria is that there must be some way the wool can enmesh itself to the item. If the item doesn't have many places the wool can 'get into it', the harder it is to felt it in.
The more easy items include loose weave fabric + lace. The wool can work it's way through the tiny holes in the fabric and become solid. Threads are also easy. You can simply lay them onto of your work and the wool will hold onto them. It just takes a little more care that you don't pull the threads off during the felting process.
I have heard of someone felting a toy car into their work by working in one wheel into the fibres.
But something like that is not for the feint hearted! Wink
Leather doesn't really have any places that the wool could catch and take hold of. If you made yourself a kind of 'leather lace' by punching lots of holes into it, it might work, but I strongly doubt it.
You'll probably do better sewing finished felt to the leather.

I looked harder at the roving I have and noticed that one of them is really natural. Beige coloured, and has quite a bit of that lanolin resin on it. Its also been half-assed spun,-eg) spun in sections, tufts in other sections...

Stick to clean carded roving when you can. The lanolin will make it harder to felt with.
The fact that it's a little 'spun' shouldn't cause problem, just the lanolin.

It'll be interesting to see what you come up with for the felt swap!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lexis
dreamer

waist deep

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2005 10:26:50 AM »

Thanks Jane-
I am a sucker for experimentation, so if I see a project, I am always compelled to stretch the limits. Usually ends up being a learning experience in messiness.  Grin
I tried something simple last night- and used the lanolin coated wool for some felt beads. It worked pretty well for a first try, and even added a little frayed wool for added colour.
I plan on doing the big wet felting project this weekend with my man- he's totally game for it. I think he's more excited than i am. lol.
Will let you know how it works. Need to find a decent replacement for the bamboo screen..I have a few wee sushi mats.. haha.
Anyhoo- thanks again and am really excited for the felt swap. wee!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

caedara
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2005 12:21:19 PM »

Caedara has made these wet felted items and from what I understand, she has said that she made the spots in the first items out of craft felt and incorporated them into her wet felt work.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=63055.0

I have to correct that. I felted the dots first (out of normal wool roving). They are not just cut out of fuzzy felt. And then I used the prefelted dots in my feltscarf & bag. I dont think craft felt will work.

Have fun on the weekend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jane Doe

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2005 12:49:39 PM »

I have to correct that. I felted the dots first (out of normal wool roving). They are not just cut out of fuzzy felt. And then I used the prefelted dots in my feltscarf & bag. I dont think craft felt will work.

You sure rocked my felting world when I thought you had said the circles and shapes were made from craft felt!
I couldn't concieve how you could wet felt it so neatly and without any bumps
hehe, mystery solved  Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Verrito
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2006 09:01:38 PM »

today was my second class about wet felting...

I am so happy!!!!!  Grin  Grin  Grin Grin Grin Grin

i am so proud of me, and was so fun!! Tongue

check my pictures in my blog

http://conmismanos.blogspot.com

thanks for all your help... was so good, because i feel a support on you...  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hay un tiempo para cada cosa y un momento para hacerla bajo el cielo...♥♥

My shop Disueos http://disuegnos.etsy.com
Jane Doe

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2006 10:44:11 PM »

Thanks Verrito

This swatch looks great Smiley
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/6713/2068/1600/taller%2023.1.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GraceOblivious

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2006 12:56:00 AM »

Well done Vettito!  The pictures on your blog tell a wonderful tale of feltmaking.  Thanks.  So pleased  you found classes, you have had such a great desire to make felt.  Your persistance has been well rewarded.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy http://www.feltsewcrafty.etsy.com
Zibbet http://www.zibbet.com/aTranquilNook
Blog http://aTranquilNook.blogspot.com/
Oh how I love to Sew and Make felt
Verrito
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2006 10:03:23 AM »

Thanks you!....

I'm happy... veru happy...

That mat  is from Dagi, one of my classmate... it's beautiful her job.  Wink

thanks again...  Grin Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hay un tiempo para cada cosa y un momento para hacerla bajo el cielo...♥♥

My shop Disueos http://disuegnos.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Country Style Meatloaf
Ham, Tomato and Cheese Bake
Sauteed Noodles
Grilled Cheeseburgers
Eggs in a Nest Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...