A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
655 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Supplies for Beginner Knitter  (Read 3429 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xtine821

I love Paris in the springtime....

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2005 10:27:40 PM »

I want to learn how to knit!  I'm in college and have friends who knit and who want to get together and knit, also I want to knit during lectures.  All you experienced knitters out there, what supplies do I buy if I want to learn?  Which needles and yarns should I buy when I'm just starting out, and what instruction books/websites did you find helpful when you first started? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The commonplace and everyday are the essence of experience." - Donald Pizer
Baigneuse
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005 11:18:43 PM »

The first knitting book I ever owned was the Debbie Stoller book "Stitch N' Bitch". It has an entire section on tools you would need in knitting: scissors, tape measure, point protectors and such. Even now I will still refer back to it when I want to remember how to do something. As for needles I would start off with a chunky sized needle rather than a small, it is easier to see your stitches and what you are doing. That way you can do projects that are fast and easy like a scarf made out of bulky yarn. When you are learning how to knit I'd recommend a fairly cheap yarn, you'll end up ripping it out and starting over a few times and there will probably be some mistakes so you'll want a yarn you won't regret using just for practice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fluffyhelen

<3 etsy&craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005 04:02:01 AM »

I started out with a pair of 4mm needles and a ball of wool and started knitting my own scarf.  Then I bought "Stitch N Bitch" and went from there.

Stitch N Bitch is a good reference book, but I've been knitting for 7 months and I couldn't manage to knit a lot of the patterns in there.   Huh

I used this website to teach myself a few of the stitches - http://www.knittinghelp.com/

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gleep
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005 04:04:53 AM »

I actually had a friend show me to knit and purl, then I used one of the Leisure Arts "I taught myself to knit" books as a reference and went knitting.

My first projects were the Knitty Feline Dim Sum (www.knitty.com) which were perfect because they quick (unlike a scarf, which takes a long time) and were easy to make.

I have the problem that I have no relatives to "inhereit" needles and such from, so I buy yarn infrequently, and almost always buy needles at the same time.

Don't be afraid to buy different types of things just to see what you like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ishy
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005 04:20:04 AM »

I happen to love both the knit and crochet versions of Ready, Set, Knit: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1589231856/ref=pd_sim_b_1/002-6165351-2925603?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

The explanations are excellent, great description of supplies, they used different shiny yarns to make the individual stitches stand out, and it's a trifold so you can stand it up and knit while looking at it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazycatladymel
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005 06:42:32 AM »

If you're going to knit in lectures, then bamboo or other wood needles are my recommendation. The clacking of metal needles might just drive the prof insane.

Just going through my bag...

What you "have" to have (besides the needles & yarn): scissors, tape measure, yarn needle (to weave in ends)  - ou can do this for $5 at a fabric store, if you don't already have it laying around - & a bag to put it all in (there's a cool thread on making bags out of felted thrift store sweaters, but any tote bag will do).

Nice to have: variety of needles (straights, DPN, circular), needle sizer/gauge ruler tool, needle case, stitch markers, stitch holders, crochet hook (helpful when picking up dropped stitches), row counters, row markers, knitter's lotion (I have "glove in a bottle"), no-inse wool wash, like Eucalan.

Stitch 'n Bitch has helpful and clearly-written instructions. Most of the patterns were of no use to me, but I'm an old fogey. I have a ton of books, but most of what I end up making are things I find online for free, or - lately - design myself. Other good books:

Sally Melville's The Knit Stitch & The Purl Stitch

Instant Expert: Knitting  - Cheap for a knitting book (I paid $19.95 for this big, full-color book), it covers just about everything.

Odd Ball Knitting : Creative Ideas for Leftover Yarn Cool, fun book!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005 06:51:51 AM by crazycatladymel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

grusinskaya
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005 09:52:11 AM »

I'm a big fan of the Vogue Ultimate Knitting Guide. In my opinion, it's more informative than Stitch 'n Bitch (not to say that I don't love SnB, but I think some of her instructions for more complicated techniques are hard to follow).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FluffyMonkey
i feel my fate in what i cannot fear

The creative mind plays with what it loves

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005 10:14:50 AM »

I want to knit or crochet in lecture, but I'm too scared! I've only done it once and it was in a class where we don't do anything; we just yammer on about the internet or tv. It's called Mass Communication and it sucks. So boring. Anywho, I would be scared that the prof would think it was rude or something, and it would have to be a class with no notes and my project would have to be something without a pattern.

That's not the point, though.

I'm a beginner, too, so what I've done is found an easy pattern I want to do and then buy the yarn and needles for it. Just do a google search for free beginner knitting pattern (unless you want to pay) and go from there. Of course scissors and tape measures are in order, too, but you probably have scissors and at least a ruler around the house.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are two kinds of strengths: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of power: the power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked."
~Yaldah Tovah

On Ravelry! Look me up; there I'm baela.
tofuttibreak
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005 10:20:36 AM »

You can check out tons of books from the public library.
It will help you get an idea of which ones you like and dislike
before you spend any money. I started out with a children's
knitting book from the library, a pair of clover bamboo 13s and
Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick and Quick. It cost about $12
and I love the bamboo needles. The Thick and Quick knits up
really quickly and I finished my first scarf that day, which was
encouraging.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xtine821

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005 01:08:24 PM »

Thank you all so much!  What a big help!  I am so excited to start!!!  Any first project suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazycatladymel
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2005 02:21:15 PM »

Fingerless mitts! You knit a rectangle, and then stitch up the sides, leaving an opening for your thumb.

http://www.ohmystars.net/craft/knitting/pgloves.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FluffyMonkey
i feel my fate in what i cannot fear

The creative mind plays with what it loves

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2005 02:26:36 PM »

heck, why not a scarf? i know they're trite and maybe too easy, but if you take your practice swatch and just keep going, you have one. That's what I did. Cast on 20, knit one row, turn, knit, turn, knit . . . . yada yada there's a scarf. Mine is delicious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are two kinds of strengths: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of power: the power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked."
~Yaldah Tovah

On Ravelry! Look me up; there I'm baela.
Baigneuse
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2005 08:42:50 PM »

An easy project to start with would be a scarf.

Here is a link to 5 free patterns for a beginner: http://alison.knitsmiths.us/pattern_beginners_scarves.html 

I'd recommend the garter scarf because you'll only need to know  cast on, the knit stitch, and bind off.

Good Luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xtine821

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2005 08:14:21 AM »

Thank you!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Pro Surfer Quincy Davis on the Best Sunscreen and Her Beauty Secrets
5 Most Unforgivable Style Mistakes
Dethroned Miss Delaware Files Lawsuit Against Pageant
The Perfect 5 Minute Brows
How to Fake a Full Eyebrow
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...