A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fan!!  (Read 899 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hubbyoed

I don't like the Cyclops

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2005 08:47:39 PM »

I realize this doesn't entirely belong here, but I can't find anywhere else it would go. I'm interested in making a fan that looks something like this:

Any ideas on how I could do that? (more just how to attach them, what materials to use & such.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005 08:54:47 PM »

hmmm, I'm thinking you could use popsicle sticks, and hole them together with......Huh....I'm not sure, maybe just some kind of screw with a nut on it?? a nice looking one, if possible. then you could glue the feathers on....and, yeah, maybe attach a string or something onto the sticks or feathers when it is spread into a fan so that they aren't just idividual feather things that look weird.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
Ayn
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005 06:53:03 AM »

Hi hubbyoed ...

Unfortunately all I can offer are the following suggestions:

~~ Have you already tried asking at a few large local crafts supply or sewing/fabric stores for the fanned-out sticks part?
Could be there's an actual folding-fan 'kit' that contains the ribbing & connector -- and with luck it might even have tips or directions for making a feather fan as well as fabric, paper etc.

~~ Another possibility is to buy one or more hopefully-inexpensive ready-made folding fans, cut off or otherwise remove the part you don't want, & experiment with attaching feathers to the remainder.

Below are a few places that have really low prices for groups or 'lots' of folding fans, from 6 to 12 to many more. Seems cheap enough for a bunch of experimenting [tho I guess you'd still have to find the 'feathers'?  I didn't look to see if these places have any]  :

>>Oriental Trading Company may be better known for its annual series of print catalogs (just chockful of great lil stockingstuffers, odd trinkets, inexpensive seasonal decorations,etc etc) than for its website.  But, you could always phone or email & ask by chance they sell 'just' that bottom folding part or the individual sticks for making ones own fan  :
http://www.orientaltrading.com/otcweb/application?namespace=search&origin=searchMain.jsp&event=button.search&Ntt=fans&Ntk=all&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&N=0&x=11&y=10

>> Here's another place, tho I'm not personally familiar with it at all :
http://store.yahoo.com/asianideas/handfans.html
[[most of the pricesfor the fans shown on that page are for 6 or 12, not just one]]
phone questions: 1.888.38.IDEAS (43327) , 9~5 EST, Monday to Friday.
Location: Asian Ideas, Inc./ 412 W Applegate Ave, Suite A / Pen Argyl, PA 18072

>>You could also try asking Craft King, in Wisconsin.  Be aware that NOT everything they have has ever been online, as they too have long been primarily a print-catalog place. I didn't notice anything on the website related to folding fan parts or kits or whatever, but you could call or email & ask ... for contact info, hrs, etc scroll down at
http://www.craftking.com/

>> and/or you might try calling Sunshine Discount Crafts (in Florida) to ask about the fan sticks or maybe some sort of kit.  Sunshine is also primarily a print-catalog place so again it's very probable that NOT everything they actually have is on the website
http://www.sunshinecrafts.com/ 
Their customer service folks are really nice; I've called a few times before asking about the weirrrdest stuff & quite often they did have it.

~~ Last but not least ... ... How 'bout the uh 'non-crafty' [!horrors!] but maybe easiest way out, lol : just BUY a ready-made feather fan for $14.99, at (for just one of possibly many other places)  http://www.greatparasolz.com/c=f8HIHZnl8qGyBmIDHauB2XzcQ/s=greatparasolz.com/category/z.parasols.fans/

[btw, Sunshine Discount Crafts above has a 6"x9" marabou fan with the folding-sticks part made of plastic; comes 'only' in The Red Hat Society colors red+purple, but it's only $3.99... So again, if you don't have any luck making the folding part from scratch, or the feathers keep falling off, or whatever, perhaps seeing at least one finished item, even if it's el-cheapo, would help]
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005 06:58:05 AM by Ayn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ayn
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005 07:48:10 AM »

Btw... Just ran into this on the web at http://www.lace.lacefairy.com/ -- but that's not really an instruction site, mainly a 'gallery' type site :

"""To attach sticks together at the pivot hole, I usually use plated wire, brass or silvered, whichever looks best with the particular fan.
I sometimes use a small wooden dowel for really big fans. It is important that the wire or dowel be the correct size for the holes in the sticks. If they are too small for the holes, no amount of tightening will make the fan secure, it will always be "sleazy" and slide around.
If the sticks are made of bone, then I use superglue to glue tiny bone beads onto the ends of the wire after they are trimmed.
For wooden fans I use wood glue to glue the beads on. I don't like suspending loops so I usually dont bother with them unless Im restoring.

For some fans, the smaller ones particularly, I have several options.
Either use a large pin complete with head and glue a small bead on the other end after trimming the pin, or buy the eye pins from jewelry findings supply places.
The latter can be either curled into an eye on the trimmed side or finished off with a crimp bead and crimper (jewelry makers know what these are). ... ...

AN IMPORTANT TRICK that I believe I have "invented" is to use sequins -- flat, not cupped, obviously -- as spacers between sticks. ...  I found that the sequins provide a sort of lubrication to the movement of the sticks and provide additional space to accommodate [[fabrics, lace, etc]] of varying thickness. This has allowed me to actually close some rather bulky fans ..."""

{{{{ Annnd if you plan to actually use your fan, perhaps you should be familiar with "The LANGUAGE of The Fan" at the link below --- lest you communicate to anyone around you something entirely unintentional by some teensy unthinking motion of your fan ... I guess this is something like reaching up to scratch your neck at a serious auction, whoooops you're takin it home with ya ... or in the case of the idle fan-movement, maybe takin 'him' home with ya ... lol }}}}
http://www.ladanza.com/language.htm

« Last Edit: October 06, 2005 08:30:42 AM by Ayn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
hubbyoed

I don't like the Cyclops

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005 10:38:47 AM »

wow Ayn thanks for all your help! A lot of these links are really helpful! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ayn
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005 08:23:54 AM »

You're very welcome, hubbyoed -- and if you do make one or more of the feathered fans, please let us know, ok? [[ Oh and a pic of your fan(s) would be great too! Under this Trinkets/Jewelry heading and also all the other headings at Crafster, there are always one or two forums *specifically for* posting pics of finished items. ]]

btw ... er ... are you really married to the Oxford English Dictionary?! (perhaps as in you or your spouse working on a Ph.D, i.e., studying/using the OED for life plus 50 years, lol)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
exene
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006 07:46:52 PM »

If you don't mind it not being a folding fan, I can offer up this site that I found with an easy tutorial: http://www.vertetsable.com/demos_fans.htm Still very pretty:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ayn
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006 08:43:54 AM »

Hi exene -- thanks for that link!
Besides its historical interest (& despite its apparent lack of good-breeze-making ability, lol) -- I think the decorative wood-handled feather fan would make a gorgeous wall decoration.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair Trend: Edgy Slick Up-Do
The Monday Makeover - 1940s Hollywood Waves With Eugene Souleiman
6 Ways to Look Great While Going Gray
How to Do a Fishtail Braid
How to Wear Your Favorite Summer Braids in Fall
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...