A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,491
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Problem with blue garlic, any advice??  (Read 694 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jzirinsky
« on: October 02, 2005 05:55:55 PM »

Hi-

I tried to make dill pickled green tomatoes yesterday. I found a recipe, and followed it exactly. They smelled great, but this morning the clove of garlic that I stuck in each jar had turned blue. Not like kinda blue, I'm talking turquoise blue! YIKES!

Any one know why this would have happened?
The ingredients in the pickles are green tomatoes, Heinz white vinegar, water, dill, garlic cloves. I didn't can them, I was hoping to serve them at a get-together this weekend, but I don't want to serve food poisioning!

Thanks in advance!
Jessie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

an object in motion tends to stay in motion
Amethyst
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005 06:25:36 PM »

It sounds like your garlic just absorbed the colours from the other foods, especially the green tomatoes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jsenungetuk
JennyNOTJennifer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005 06:30:38 PM »

Hey! That same thing has happened to me before exactly!  I always wondered what caused it, I thought it might have been because of contact with copper or something like that - it's some sort of little chemical reaction.  I have eaten turquoise garlic with no ill effects.  I'm pretty sure you can eat it, it just looks really weird.   Let me know if you ever actually find out what causes it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Pee on me once, shame on you.  Pee on me twice, shame on me."
 - my husband (but it wasn't me he was referring to).
jzirinsky
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005 05:14:27 AM »

It just dawned on me this morning (ha-ha- no pun intended!)- I used regular iodized table salt instead of canning salt! I bet it had a chemical reaction with the vinegar.  I wasn't going to can these pickles, since I only had about 2 jars worth, so I just dumped in regular salt!

Now I know not to do that in the future. I'm planning on just hiding the blue garlic and serving the pickled tomatoes anyway... Don't tell my friends!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

an object in motion tends to stay in motion
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005 06:43:56 AM »

It was probably caused by the chemical reaction between the vinegar and salt.  I'm not sure of what happens exactally, but(mixed with flour, to make a paste) it's the best copper cleaner I've ever used.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2005 06:46:39 AM by GloryB » THIS ROCKS   Logged
smelsmin
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005 06:58:55 AM »

Oh yeah, because iodine is purple!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fabfairhope
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005 07:08:24 AM »

That's exactly what happened....the iodized salt and the vinegar didn't like each other very much.  It happened to me too...I just removed the garlic before I took it to the gathering I was attending & no one was the wiser.  But my kids wanted to eat the garlic cloves just because the turquoise looked so cool!!  I didn't let them because (as a garlic lover myself) I didn't want them to end up with a garlic "complex"  lol  Pickled garlic wouldn't taste that great to a kid, but turquoise picked garlic???  They'd probably never eat garlic again!  lol 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"A compromise is the art of dividing a cake in such a way that everyone believes they have the biggest piece."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beyoncé’s Foolproof Makeup Tips That Will Last All Day
How You Should Wear Your Hair For Your Wedding
How to Create A Winged Eyeliner
How To Take A Perfect Selfie
Pixi Blush & Bronzer Review
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...