A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,649
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Itchy metal bra clasp  (Read 2457 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sacrdplce

Roadrunner ... the coyote's after you ...

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2005 07:33:25 AM »

I have very sensitive skin. The metal on my bra clasp makes me itch and get a rash. Angry Has anyone here heard of a way to cover bra clasp metal with a non-irritating coating (not sure what that might be)? Any other ideas? Thanks!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that the only tragedy is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our creativity, or our glorious uniqueness.           Gilda Radner
littlepierre
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2005 07:34:05 AM »

Maybe try coating it with nail polish..?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my portfolio and blog at www.creatureswitheyes.com

I'm in the mood for a personal swap, anyone want a hat?
rachel.in.rainbows
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2005 07:41:06 AM »

that's what i'd say... clear nailpolish...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IchBeisse
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2005 07:56:48 AM »

Maybe if the nailpolish doesn't work you could try covering it with either some moleskin or even a band-aid.  I guess you would have to change it each time to changed your bra, but it might help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FluffyMonkey
i feel my fate in what i cannot fear

The creative mind plays with what it loves

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005 08:05:37 AM »

I have very sensitive skin. The metal on my bra clasp makes me itch and get a rash. Angry Has anyone here heard of a way to cover bra clasp metal with a non-irritating coating (not sure what that might be)? Any other ideas? Thanks!  Smiley

huh . . . my belt makes me have a rash, too, but only if I get sweaty. i just put a salve on it and some benedryl (so i don't scratch it and make it worse) and it mostly stays away.

once, i found a bra at vicki's secret (in the sale bins because i am cheap) that had a plastic clasp. i loved it once i got the hand of opening and closing it, except that the bra was only one layer and i can't wear one layer bras. i wonder if you could get plastic clasps some place, though?

what about sewing an extra fabric flap under the metal clasp, long enough to reach both sides so you can put the bra over your head? it would bunch a little, but a little bunching is a small price to pay for no more rash, right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"There are two kinds of strengths: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of power: the power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked."
~Yaldah Tovah

On Ravelry! Look me up; there I'm baela.
mintbamboo
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005 08:08:20 AM »

perhaps you could get a thin piece of fabric and after clasping your bra, wrap it around the clasp area so the metal wouldnt be touching you. you could secure it somehow... a small piece of velcro maybe?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm your fool
nellum
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005 10:04:08 AM »

I had this problem with a bra before, and with my jeans.  Turns out I'm allergic to the metal in them.  The only thing I found that helped was to put medical tape over the metal bits.  It sticks really well, the adhesive doesn't come off on your skin, and you can leave it on until you wash it next.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sacrdplce

Roadrunner ... the coyote's after you ...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005 03:28:16 PM »

Thank you for all your quick and helpful replies. Grin Right now I'm off metal bra clasps altogether--just a plain sports bra and some hydrocortisone for the rash. Here's what I'll try first:

I had this problem with a bra before, and with my jeans.  Turns out I'm allergic to the metal in them.  The only thing I found that helped was to put medical tape over the metal bits.  It sticks really well, the adhesive doesn't come off on your skin, and you can leave it on until you wash it next.
This sounds nice and easy.

perhaps you could get a thin piece of fabric and after clasping your bra, wrap it around the clasp area so the metal wouldn't be touching you. you could secure it somehow... a small piece of velcro maybe?
This will require a consult with my sister who sews, but willing to try.

I'm a little leery of the clear nail polish only because my skin is so sensitive. I've never painted my nails much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

While we have the gift of life, it seems to me that the only tragedy is to allow part of us to die - whether it is our spirit, our creativity, or our glorious uniqueness.           Gilda Radner
karmic

They shoot heroin, don't they?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005 06:05:22 PM »

I'm a little leery of the clear nail polish only because my skin is so sensitive. I've never painted my nails much.

If you use clear nail polish, make sure the polish is completely dry when you put the bra on. I've had a bad experience with putting polish on a rip in pantyhose and the polish wasn't completely dry so when I took them off later that day...well, let's just say it hurt like a mother. >__<

I'm allergic to the metal in jeans and belts too. My doctor says it's because it's nickel and since nickel is such a cheap metal it's very irritating to people with sensitive skin. Too bad companies like using nickel so much.  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Happychick
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005 04:53:05 AM »

I've never had a problem with bra straps or belts, but i cant wear most watches because they have nickel backs and make my wrist get itchy and sore.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Using Control Palette Calculations
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Understanding Guides as Objects
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Setting up Rulers
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Understanding Master Pages
Adobe InDesign CS2 - Creating Margins and Columns
Latest Blog Articles
Get Lost in a Book
Meatless Monday: Banana-Pineberry Bread
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...