A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 300,908
Currently Running With Scissors:
527 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to use stitch markers  (Read 7593 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

poorlittlefish
« on: May 04, 2004 10:09:22 AM »

Hi Everyone,
I am knitting the Sophie Bag from Magknits and in my short knitting career, thsi is the first time I have needed to use Stitch Markers. So, after I picked up the stitches around the base, knit one round, then placed my 4 markers (I just used different color yarn). Now it says decrease 1 stitch on each side of the marker on rows 10, 20 , 30, etc. My markers are way down at the bottom, do I just need to follow the imagionary line up from the marker at the bottom to see where I should decrease or am I using these markers wrong?
I know this is kind of a silly question-I hope someone understands what I am asking..thanks in advance!
jen
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chris_wass
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2004 10:32:29 AM »

I think that the markers are supposed to float along with you to each row and not be knit in. That's how I use the little plastic ring style ones that I got. You do the stitch, then pick up the marker on to the other needle, then do the next stitch, and so forth. You should be able to use knotted loops of yarn the same way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop: http://chriswass.etsy.com
The Phoenix United Craft Society: http://www.phucs.com

"To make people free is the aim of art, therefore art for me is the science of freedom." -Joseph Beuys
Mojo
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2004 11:13:06 AM »

It sounds like you attached the markers to the yarn rather than let them hang out on the needle.  In my experience, they are meant to sit on the needle and get shuffled back and forth as you knit.  I suppose you could cut them out of your knitting?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2004 11:24:41 AM »

I think what you did is exactly what I always did before I got the Stitch n bitch book.  
You just used straight little pieces of yarn and put them between stitches where it said to place the marker, right?  so there's a little tail on either side of the knitted piece.  In this case, yes, just follow the line between stitches up from where you placed your marker.

Ideally you want a marker that moves up with you, so that it sits between stitches on your needle.  So like chris_wass said, you can use knotted loops of yarn (instead of straight pieces) or you can buy these little plastic rings that are actually intended to be stitch markers - they come in packs with assorted colors and sizes for about $1.  Either way, you just slip the marker from needle to needle when you get to it in your knitting, that way you always know at a glance exactly what stitch is marked.  It's very handy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004 04:41:10 AM »

I agree with everyone  Grin as far as a stitch marker is concerned, but sometimes a pattern will tell you to place a yarn marker which is kind of different (in my understanding). The two patterns that I have used which call for a yarn marker tell you to do so because you need to attach something to this spot later. The Sophie pattern (which I still have to knit) is a stitch marker pattern.

Jill
THIS ROCKS   Logged

poorlittlefish
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2004 06:17:28 AM »

thanks for your help! Now that I am doing it right I feel kind of foolish about how I was doing it before! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ednathewitch
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004 08:38:33 PM »

Definitely no need to feel foolish. Just remember that the first way you did it is a great method to use if you've got instructions that say to knit x" from a certain point.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ever feel that you *have* to use a signature?

nytefalle.com/blog | nytefalle.etsy.com
Lady_Macbeth
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005 09:05:50 PM »

Okay just a quick and probably stupid question. I've never used place markers before but I am attempting the one skien wonder and it calls for them. Do you just put the circle on the needle? Or do you put the place marker on the yarn? And another question, how do they come off? My row markers are just plain, thin plastic circles... will they come off?

Thank you in advance

Nicole
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xXcherrie-lynnXx
aka Pink Kittie

Just Let Me Craft!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005 09:12:37 PM »

u just put them on your needle, and when you come to it while knitting, slip it to ur other needle.  It's just to keep ur place, hope that helps.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starlings
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005 09:24:26 PM »

Usually you're just placing a marker to signal the beginning of a round or a point where some shaping takes place. If this is the case place it on the needle between two stitches, not on the yarn. You can use a ring marker - split or solid, a safety pin or a loop of yarn. When you come to it, just slip it from the left needle to the right.

Just remove the marker from the needles before you cast off.

Sometimes you will use a marker to mark a single stitch, or to provide a handle for a wrap, as in Japanese short rows. In these cases the marker is placed on the yarn so it is essential that you be able to remove it later - like a split ring or a safety pin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter L
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter K
What Is Graffiti Bubble Style
What Is Tagging in Graffiti
Types of Graffiti Spray Paint
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...