A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,161
Currently Running With Scissors:
563 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to use stitch markers  (Read 7298 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

creepyhugger
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2006 01:44:07 PM »

i use stitch markers in between pattern repeats, especially in lace or similar things where you may not immediately notice an off stitch.  then, when you get to the marker and you don't have the right amount of stitches left, you only have to go back a few stitches, instead of the whole row (or rows!).  you just place them on the needle in between repeats, and then when you get to them, just move them to the other needle, so they keep their place. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
canarysanctuary
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2006 02:02:16 PM »

I have recently fallen head-over-heels in love with pretty stitch markers Smiley  So great for keeping track. 
You just slip them onto the needle, and they happily mark your place.  Just one thing:  I have some dangly stitch markers, and have made the mistake (several times) of not keeping the dangly bit on the side of the garment that I'm currently knitting.  Then, I somehow get it caught under the yarn, and have to remove the marker from between the rows :p
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I am because my little bird knows me."
http://canaryknits.blogspot.com/

"Gentlemen! We can't *all* be the Honey-Nut Cheerios honeybee!" -Crow
hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2006 02:14:36 PM »

I am a neophyte knitter and am mystified by stitch markers.
How do you use them? (I know what they're for, just not how)
Do you keep them on the needles, between the live stitches? Or do you knit them into the fabric and remove them later?
I only ask because I've seen both open and closed loop types (removable and unremovable) and I'd like to advance in my methods.
Thanks for any info!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
Knitty club
old is the new new

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2006 02:50:30 AM »

dear all, I received the most adorable stitch markers yesterday from a swap. But a stupid question since I don't know how to use them: what are they used for and HOW??
thankful if someone could explain this. They are closed circleswhich makes me wonder how to remove them once I have marked the yarn....

THIS ROCKS   Logged

the mermaids in the basement came out to look at me
crnaofca
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2006 04:24:37 AM »

you don't put them on yarn, you put them on your needles. let's say you want to mark middle of your work for some reason. you knit first half of stitches, then put your marker on right needle, then knit rest of the stitches. on the next row, when you come to marker, you just slip it on right needle, and so on. this way, when you need it, you precisely know where is middle of your work:) i use them all the time, for marking beginning ot the round, place where i should decrease/increase...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Candy doesn't have to have a point. That's why it's candy.
~~~~~~
Will knit for PJ pants:) PM me:)
~~~~~~
Anyone interested in swapping Steve Jackson's "Munchkin" custom cards?
Knitty club
old is the new new

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2006 04:32:14 AM »

Thank you! I'll have to try it. But don't they get stuck in the middle of whatever you're knitting? Do I shift them before I keep knitting so they don't stay inside the shirt/scarf/whatever?
....wait now I think I get it!
(or do I  Huh)

Seem like a very useful thing, I get crazy from having to count all the time!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006 04:34:18 AM by Knitty club » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2006 04:48:23 AM »

I'll take a crack at it. Wink

Stitch markers are great. They are used in the middle of a row, or if you're knitting in the round. Lots of patterns call for you to place a stitch marker at the end of the round, so that you can change stitches/yarns/stop knitting/whatever at the end of the round. You can also place them to keep track of repeats in a pattern (where a pattern will say something like "k3, *p2 k2, repeat from * to end of round", you can put them wherever you start a new section so you keep them lined up right), or if you just have massive numbers of stitches and want a shortcut to counting, you can put them every ten or twenty stitches and count between markers instead of counting the whole damn thing and having people run up behind you and start going "33, 4, 12, 21, 53, 56, 93, 34, 12... did I mess you up?," or you can use them to rule off sections of your knitting for evenly-spaced increases and decreases, or just to be sparkly.

The yarn never actually goes through the loop on your markers. If you were to pull out your needles, your stitch markers would fall to the ground too. To place a stitch marker, just stop in the middle of your knitting, slip a stitch marker onto your right needle, and continue knitting. As you knit, your yarn will just go behind, not through the loop. Just keep the dangly part out of the way of your working yarn and you'll be fine. When you get around to a stitch marker you placed before, pretend it's a stitch and slip it as if to purl.

If your stitch markers are too thick for your yarn, you might want to use extra tension to make sure it doesn't make your loop too big where the stitch marker is (blocking at the end could probably help with this too.) If you need more stitch markers, there are lots of DIY ways to do it, from tying off little loops of contrasting scrap yarn, to using old finger rings (sparkly!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitty club
old is the new new

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2006 04:57:18 AM »

wow, thanks for your advice! however:

When you get around to a stitch marker you placed before, pretend it's a stitch and slip it as if to purl.

I am not sure I get it, I never knit in English. Do I just slip it onto the other needle...?
I think this will be very useful, since I had to give up on a bolero simply because I couldn't keep track of the 144 (umm... I don't know what they are called) stitches! So this should be great. Thank you for your explanation.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006 04:59:35 AM by Knitty club » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2006 05:26:11 AM »

Oop, sorry. That's the easiest way of describing it if those are the terms you normally use. If not... yes, you just slip it onto the other needle. If you want to, you can pull it off of the left needle and stick it onto the right needle with your fingers, but that's a way to do it hands-free. Just stick your right needle into the marker and shift it over.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitty club
old is the new new

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2006 05:37:55 AM »

Cool, thanks! I love your knitting discussion about chenille!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Customize the Workspace in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Work With the Preferences in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Optimize the Settings in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Composite the Selections in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Use Refine Edge Command in Adobe Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...