A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 304,877
Currently Running With Scissors:
739 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How to use stitch markers  (Read 7471 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

poorlittlefish
« on: May 04, 2004 10:09:22 AM »

Hi Everyone,
I am knitting the Sophie Bag from Magknits and in my short knitting career, thsi is the first time I have needed to use Stitch Markers. So, after I picked up the stitches around the base, knit one round, then placed my 4 markers (I just used different color yarn). Now it says decrease 1 stitch on each side of the marker on rows 10, 20 , 30, etc. My markers are way down at the bottom, do I just need to follow the imagionary line up from the marker at the bottom to see where I should decrease or am I using these markers wrong?
I know this is kind of a silly question-I hope someone understands what I am asking..thanks in advance!
jen
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chris_wass
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2004 10:32:29 AM »

I think that the markers are supposed to float along with you to each row and not be knit in. That's how I use the little plastic ring style ones that I got. You do the stitch, then pick up the marker on to the other needle, then do the next stitch, and so forth. You should be able to use knotted loops of yarn the same way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop: http://chriswass.etsy.com
The Phoenix United Craft Society: http://www.phucs.com

"To make people free is the aim of art, therefore art for me is the science of freedom." -Joseph Beuys
Mojo
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2004 11:13:06 AM »

It sounds like you attached the markers to the yarn rather than let them hang out on the needle.  In my experience, they are meant to sit on the needle and get shuffled back and forth as you knit.  I suppose you could cut them out of your knitting?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2004 11:24:41 AM »

I think what you did is exactly what I always did before I got the Stitch n bitch book.  
You just used straight little pieces of yarn and put them between stitches where it said to place the marker, right?  so there's a little tail on either side of the knitted piece.  In this case, yes, just follow the line between stitches up from where you placed your marker.

Ideally you want a marker that moves up with you, so that it sits between stitches on your needle.  So like chris_wass said, you can use knotted loops of yarn (instead of straight pieces) or you can buy these little plastic rings that are actually intended to be stitch markers - they come in packs with assorted colors and sizes for about $1.  Either way, you just slip the marker from needle to needle when you get to it in your knitting, that way you always know at a glance exactly what stitch is marked.  It's very handy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
greenchick

Enough to make a pearl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004 04:41:10 AM »

I agree with everyone  Grin as far as a stitch marker is concerned, but sometimes a pattern will tell you to place a yarn marker which is kind of different (in my understanding). The two patterns that I have used which call for a yarn marker tell you to do so because you need to attach something to this spot later. The Sophie pattern (which I still have to knit) is a stitch marker pattern.

Jill
THIS ROCKS   Logged

poorlittlefish
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2004 06:17:28 AM »

thanks for your help! Now that I am doing it right I feel kind of foolish about how I was doing it before! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ednathewitch
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004 08:38:33 PM »

Definitely no need to feel foolish. Just remember that the first way you did it is a great method to use if you've got instructions that say to knit x" from a certain point.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ever feel that you *have* to use a signature?

nytefalle.com/blog | nytefalle.etsy.com
Lady_Macbeth
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005 09:05:50 PM »

Okay just a quick and probably stupid question. I've never used place markers before but I am attempting the one skien wonder and it calls for them. Do you just put the circle on the needle? Or do you put the place marker on the yarn? And another question, how do they come off? My row markers are just plain, thin plastic circles... will they come off?

Thank you in advance

Nicole
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xXcherrie-lynnXx
aka Pink Kittie

Just Let Me Craft!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005 09:12:37 PM »

u just put them on your needle, and when you come to it while knitting, slip it to ur other needle.  It's just to keep ur place, hope that helps.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starlings
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005 09:24:26 PM »

Usually you're just placing a marker to signal the beginning of a round or a point where some shaping takes place. If this is the case place it on the needle between two stitches, not on the yarn. You can use a ring marker - split or solid, a safety pin or a loop of yarn. When you come to it, just slip it from the left needle to the right.

Just remove the marker from the needles before you cast off.

Sometimes you will use a marker to mark a single stitch, or to provide a handle for a wrap, as in Japanese short rows. In these cases the marker is placed on the yarn so it is essential that you be able to remove it later - like a split ring or a safety pin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lady_Macbeth
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005 09:36:32 PM »

*laughs* Oh man do I feel stupid. You know teachers lie to you, there are stupid questions! But now I know! You guys have helped me so much! Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ubercraftygal

and i swear, in that moment, we were infinite.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2005 09:38:46 PM »

there so aren't stupid questions! now you know something new! so everyone benefits, because i don't knit and i didn't know what a place marker was, and now i do. so thanks for saving me the trouble of asking what they are! Smiley

happy crafting
-lauren-
THIS ROCKS   Logged
subloke
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2005 08:24:47 AM »

Don't feel bad!  I spent a good chunk of time just staring at the markers trying to figure out what was supposed to happen.  Then, you find out or figure out and it seems so obvious, but I think we (the collective craftster knitters) have probably all had moments like that! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
ariane
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2005 09:50:16 AM »

I've too had the same problematic questions when I was once the novice knitter!  I didn't even know where to buy them much less know what or how they where used!  I finally figured it out and just used one of my daughters rubber bands instead!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://wicked_stitches.typepad.com/wicked_stitches/

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley
mols

The Holy Grail - of sorts . . . .

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2005 10:57:16 AM »

I also once somehow managed to knit through my place marker and permanently attach it into the project.

Luckily, however, it was plastic (unlike the metal rings I've been using lately - I cut apart an old bra for the connecting rings . . . hehe) and I could snip through it with a hefty pair of scissors to remove it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

An eye for and eye leaves the whole world blind.
alicelovester
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2006 07:20:55 PM »

I'm making Eunny Jang's Deep-V Argyle Vest, and as I'm casting on I realized that I have no idea how to use stitch markers! Do you put them on the needle and slip it around each row? Do I put it on a stitch and move it up each row? Do I throw them on the ground and pout?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kidcompassion

get down off your high horse and buy me a taco.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2006 07:25:56 PM »

i usually use them in between stitches. like if you're supposed to decrease every, say 12 stitches, i just put one after everything twelfth stitch and move it up row by row.

but i have no idea if that the correct way to do it.... so i'll be interested to hear what everybody else says.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
alicelovester
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2006 07:26:30 PM »

Appreciate both the advice and the Amy Sedaris icon  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jlyarnworks
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2006 08:07:25 PM »

Slip the stitch marker on your needle wherever you need to mark your place. When you come across the marker in your knitting, just slip it from one needle to the other and continue your pattern as if it's not there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rtrgrrl
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2006 04:53:06 AM »

If a pattern calls for markers, it will usually have the following abbreviations:

pm = place marker  = place the marker on the right hand needle when the pattern tells you to do so, then knit as usual.
sm = slip marker = transfer the marker from one needle to the other, knit as usual.

The pattern will then tell you what to do in reference to those markers. i.e., knit to marker, inc, knit to next marker, etc etc.

I hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
creepyhugger
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2006 01:44:07 PM »

i use stitch markers in between pattern repeats, especially in lace or similar things where you may not immediately notice an off stitch.  then, when you get to the marker and you don't have the right amount of stitches left, you only have to go back a few stitches, instead of the whole row (or rows!).  you just place them on the needle in between repeats, and then when you get to them, just move them to the other needle, so they keep their place. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
canarysanctuary
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2006 02:02:16 PM »

I have recently fallen head-over-heels in love with pretty stitch markers Smiley  So great for keeping track. 
You just slip them onto the needle, and they happily mark your place.  Just one thing:  I have some dangly stitch markers, and have made the mistake (several times) of not keeping the dangly bit on the side of the garment that I'm currently knitting.  Then, I somehow get it caught under the yarn, and have to remove the marker from between the rows :p
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I am because my little bird knows me."
http://canaryknits.blogspot.com/

"Gentlemen! We can't *all* be the Honey-Nut Cheerios honeybee!" -Crow
hawkeyes_girl

I'm not even supposed to be here today!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2006 02:14:36 PM »

I am a neophyte knitter and am mystified by stitch markers.
How do you use them? (I know what they're for, just not how)
Do you keep them on the needles, between the live stitches? Or do you knit them into the fabric and remove them later?
I only ask because I've seen both open and closed loop types (removable and unremovable) and I'd like to advance in my methods.
Thanks for any info!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One of the reasons I was attracted to you was because you were so damn cute, sitting there crocheting." -Art

Wist: http://www.wists.com/hawkeyes_girl
Knitty club
old is the new new

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2006 02:50:30 AM »

dear all, I received the most adorable stitch markers yesterday from a swap. But a stupid question since I don't know how to use them: what are they used for and HOW??
thankful if someone could explain this. They are closed circleswhich makes me wonder how to remove them once I have marked the yarn....

THIS ROCKS   Logged

the mermaids in the basement came out to look at me
crnaofca
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2006 04:24:37 AM »

you don't put them on yarn, you put them on your needles. let's say you want to mark middle of your work for some reason. you knit first half of stitches, then put your marker on right needle, then knit rest of the stitches. on the next row, when you come to marker, you just slip it on right needle, and so on. this way, when you need it, you precisely know where is middle of your work:) i use them all the time, for marking beginning ot the round, place where i should decrease/increase...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Candy doesn't have to have a point. That's why it's candy.
~~~~~~
Will knit for PJ pants:) PM me:)
~~~~~~
Anyone interested in swapping Steve Jackson's "Munchkin" custom cards?
Knitty club
old is the new new

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2006 04:32:14 AM »

Thank you! I'll have to try it. But don't they get stuck in the middle of whatever you're knitting? Do I shift them before I keep knitting so they don't stay inside the shirt/scarf/whatever?
....wait now I think I get it!
(or do I  Huh)

Seem like a very useful thing, I get crazy from having to count all the time!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006 04:34:18 AM by Knitty club » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2006 04:48:23 AM »

I'll take a crack at it. Wink

Stitch markers are great. They are used in the middle of a row, or if you're knitting in the round. Lots of patterns call for you to place a stitch marker at the end of the round, so that you can change stitches/yarns/stop knitting/whatever at the end of the round. You can also place them to keep track of repeats in a pattern (where a pattern will say something like "k3, *p2 k2, repeat from * to end of round", you can put them wherever you start a new section so you keep them lined up right), or if you just have massive numbers of stitches and want a shortcut to counting, you can put them every ten or twenty stitches and count between markers instead of counting the whole damn thing and having people run up behind you and start going "33, 4, 12, 21, 53, 56, 93, 34, 12... did I mess you up?," or you can use them to rule off sections of your knitting for evenly-spaced increases and decreases, or just to be sparkly.

The yarn never actually goes through the loop on your markers. If you were to pull out your needles, your stitch markers would fall to the ground too. To place a stitch marker, just stop in the middle of your knitting, slip a stitch marker onto your right needle, and continue knitting. As you knit, your yarn will just go behind, not through the loop. Just keep the dangly part out of the way of your working yarn and you'll be fine. When you get around to a stitch marker you placed before, pretend it's a stitch and slip it as if to purl.

If your stitch markers are too thick for your yarn, you might want to use extra tension to make sure it doesn't make your loop too big where the stitch marker is (blocking at the end could probably help with this too.) If you need more stitch markers, there are lots of DIY ways to do it, from tying off little loops of contrasting scrap yarn, to using old finger rings (sparkly!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitty club
old is the new new

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2006 04:57:18 AM »

wow, thanks for your advice! however:

When you get around to a stitch marker you placed before, pretend it's a stitch and slip it as if to purl.

I am not sure I get it, I never knit in English. Do I just slip it onto the other needle...?
I think this will be very useful, since I had to give up on a bolero simply because I couldn't keep track of the 144 (umm... I don't know what they are called) stitches! So this should be great. Thank you for your explanation.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006 04:59:35 AM by Knitty club » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2006 05:26:11 AM »

Oop, sorry. That's the easiest way of describing it if those are the terms you normally use. If not... yes, you just slip it onto the other needle. If you want to, you can pull it off of the left needle and stick it onto the right needle with your fingers, but that's a way to do it hands-free. Just stick your right needle into the marker and shift it over.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitty club
old is the new new

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2006 05:37:55 AM »

Cool, thanks! I love your knitting discussion about chenille!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ver0nika23
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2007 04:38:51 PM »

Um, so this is probably silly, but I can't seem to correctly use stitch markers.  I end up knitting them into my piece.  What is the proper procedure?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
april_cocaine
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2007 04:51:41 PM »

when you get to the point where you nee dthe marker, just slip it onto the needle, and then carry on knitting. it's simple!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bruneama
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2007 04:55:05 PM »

Exactly like april_cocaine said. The marker goes on the needle in between two stitches. When you reach a marker that has already been placed, just slip it onto the other needle and keep knitting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mamaphunk
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2007 08:47:34 AM »

First off, I don't know how to knit. At all. So I'm thanking you in advance for your patience.

I keep wondering what these stitch markers I keep seeing everywhere are for. Do they stay on your needles? How come one is usually different than the others?

Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I will be out of town June 11-20 with limited computer access. (Be patient with me, I'm on the beach!)
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2007 09:23:33 AM »

They stay on your needles to mark increments of stitches, both if you have a repeating pattern and to make it easier to count large numbers of stitches. One is different from the rest in case you want to knit in the round and need to mark the end of the row. The end of the row kind of disappears as you keep going around and around. It still matters, though, for patterns and such.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mamaphunk
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2007 09:53:58 AM »

Thank you so much! Makes perfect sense!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I will be out of town June 11-20 with limited computer access. (Be patient with me, I'm on the beach!)
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Beauty Test Lab: Nail Painting Will Never Be the Same
How to Create the Perfect Rose-Bronze Makeup for Summer
Are These Single-Use Polish Pods as Convenient as They Say?
Is This Color-Changing Lipstick the Real Deal?
Three Easy Outfits For Mid-Length Dresses
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...