A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,491
Currently Running With Scissors:
547 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yarn Girl's Guide sizes...  (Read 844 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knittinkitten
50's housewife with a tongue piercing

A girl can never have too many scarves...

View Profile WWW
« on: May 04, 2004 09:45:44 AM »

So I just got The Yarn Girl's Guide to Simple Knits this past week for my birthday (yeah 18!) and I want to make sooooo many of the sweaters in there.  But where are the measurments for the sizes?  I don't want to end up making a medium and having it too big.  Is there a guide to the sizes in the book somewhere?  I couldn't find any.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2004 12:45:06 PM by knittinkitten » THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittykat
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2004 10:04:38 AM »

Be very careful with the patterns in this book re: sizing.

First of all, you will be able to tell the general measurements by looking at the schematics.  The drawings of the pieces of the sweaters.  In general, slim fitting garments are 0-2 inches bigger around than your measurements, standard fitting are about 4, and baggy are bigger than 4.  So, if you have a 36 inch bust and you want a garment that fits snugly, you'd want to make the garment about 38 inches around.  Measure a favorite garment to figure out the amount of ease you like.

Now, for my warning.  I'm not trying to turn you off of these patterns, as they are great patterns written simply so that you can customize them as you like.  In the interest of making them simple to knit, however, they have incorporated very minimal shaping.  Those form-fitting shapes they show on the models (like Daniele's sweater, the football widow sweater, and the belly button sweater) are PINNED.  So the finished product will not necessarily look just like the one on the model because they have pinned more shaping into the sweaters.

Measure very carefully and pay attention to the measurements on those schematics.  I didn't.  I thought it was me--I kept knitting this one sweater over and over and wondering why it turned out so shapeless and baggy.  When I looked at the schematic I realized it had way more ease than I wanted, and way more ease than what it appeared to have in the picture.  

In some cases, I go down a size.  Sometimes, however, especially if you are petite, even the small will be too big.  If that's the case, simply figure out an XS.  If the directions say cast on 30 (32, 34) then simply cast on 28.  These sizes vary by a factor of 2 and you can make a smaller or bigger size by adding in your own factor of 2.  (You could, incidentally, go bigger as well if you are larger than the 'large').

Good luck on those patterns, hopefully this gives you a lot of information and a heads up as well.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinygoatstacker

Why can't puffins eat pancakes instead?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2004 06:11:12 PM »

Wow! I'm so glad I read this. I've just begun the "craving to knit" cardigan.  After about 5 inches I realized that my gauge was off... but  the sweater still looks like it will fit.  Now I can relax Smiley  
I'd been wondering also if things had been pinned.  (just look at the comparison between the turtleneck tank top hanging up, and the one on the mannequin. Yikes!) When I move on to something besides the cardigan, I'm going to add some helpful shaping.
I love the patterns in this book, too. I just wish the pictures were more clear and actually of the entire garment rather than from the top, side, or other weird angle (grr!)
Good luck with your projects!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bumblebees, bumblebees... tiny and small, tiny and small....
Sarah
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004 01:59:25 PM »

Be very careful with the patterns in this book re: sizing.

Those form-fitting shapes they show on the models (like Daniele's sweater, the football widow sweater, and the belly button sweater) are PINNED.  So the finished product will not necessarily look just like the one on the model because they have pinned more shaping into the sweaters.

... I thought it was me--I kept knitting this one sweater over and over and wondering why it turned out so shapeless and baggy.  

KnittyKat you RULE! I thought I was going insane, too -- I knit one of the tank tops and couldn't believe how straight and, well, unfitted it was.  But I was determined to get it right, so I found a smaller yarn and knit it single instead of double on larger needles (um, no method to the madness, just swatch and check, repeat) and I'm much happier with it so far. Of course I say that now, let's see what happens when I'm finished.

Anyway thank you very much for the info about the sizes and the fact that they pinned them back, everything makes more sense now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to color Skin on hands in Photoshop
How to Use Photoshop effects
How to create a DVD cover in Photoshop
How to understand Photoshop
How to touch up a baby portrait in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...