A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
391 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I paid a company to expose my screens and they're not square  (Read 2786 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lisascenic
« on: October 01, 2005 08:49:07 PM »

Hey Folks

I usually keep my Craftster conversations to my non-job-related activities, but I got myself into a bind in my professional world, and need some advice.

I'm in charge of painted scenery for the Berkeley Repertory Theatre.  I'm supposed to be silk screening miles of wallpaper, based on historic designs. The images all interlock to create a seamless expanse of pattern. 

I'm wondering if anyone can offer any bright ideas about my silk screen registration problem.... I paid a silk screen company to rent some screens, and expose my image on said screens. A full week after they said they would have the screens exposed, they finally got them back to me. I'm already terribly behind schedule, the set designer just flew in from NYC, and he's in a really cranky mood, and I've got tonight and tomorrow to print a ton of wallpaper.

AND THE IMAGES ARE NOT SQUARE TO THE FRAMES OF THE SCREENS.

THEY AREN'T EVEN CONSISTENTLY UN-SQUARE. NOPE. EACH OF THE THREE SCREENS IS WONKY IN A DIFFERENT WAY.

Since I need to "register" off of the frame, and since I'm repeating this image down a long run of paper, the only thing I can think to do is build some kind of jig and attach one to each of the screens to make them hit my registration points in the same way.

Any other bright ideas out there, or are you all at home enjoying your hard earned weekend free time like normal people?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smarmyclothes
lex fiend

i can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005 09:08:48 PM »

well geez.  sounds like you got dicked over!  i can't really think of a way to help... it's a little late and i'm a lot tired, so i can't quite even wrap my head around what you're actually doing completely.  i need sleep. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lisascenic
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005 09:24:16 PM »

Here's a link to a discussion of a similar project I did the summer before last.  You can see the type of layout we need to do in some of the photos.  (Ignore all the yack yack yack, and the exhausted looking photos of me!)

http://www.muralsplus.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smarmyclothes
lex fiend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005 09:36:50 PM »

wow... that all looks like so much fun.  i'm afraid i still don't have any ideas, though.  sorry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ph33lth3lov3

*when in doubt go duct*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2005 10:40:09 AM »

the only thing i can think of is having a different person use each of the screens, so they can adjust them appropriately each time. Like, person 1 would use the first screen, and then person 2 would adjust the second screen to the first screen etc. good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

let me see your gila
http://www.gilabuttons.com -your one stop button shop
lisascenic
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005 11:12:21 AM »

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying, ph33lth3lov3...

What we plan to do is build three "jigs" to counteract the wonkiness of the screens.  Each of these will be square with the image on one of the screens, and will fit on an outside corner of a frame.  Since all three screens are wrong in different ways, the jigs will each counteract the problems individually, so there will be a jig for the brown, light brown and yellow screens, and they'll all line up with the same registration points.

Wish me luck!

I'll post photos of it turns out well.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ph33lth3lov3

*when in doubt go duct*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2005 11:15:23 AM »

i'm glad you figured something out.
sorry mine didn't make sense... now that i'm re-reading it, i don't even understand it!  Wink
good luck! looking forward to pics! ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

let me see your gila
http://www.gilabuttons.com -your one stop button shop
scissorchic
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005 11:15:39 AM »

Well I would start by making myself feel better and bitching the company out who did the shitty job.  Might not get you anywhere but at least you can let some frustration out.   Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smarmyclothes
lex fiend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2005 01:58:00 PM »

i would try getting a refund.  you would assume a company that makes screens would have decent materials.  it'd be like having your house built by a professional and then having all the doors and windows turn out crooked.  it's just wrong.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lisascenic
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005 01:11:33 AM »

Thanks y'all! We ended up building three angle-correction jigs, and registered off of them.

Amazingly, when I spoke to the girlie at the screen printing company, she told me that they had no way to line the image up on the screen, and they just shot the screens as best they could. I was flabbergasted. I had to refrain from offering her a few snarky bits of advice....

I'm tired, but we got the first paper finished. We didn't end up installing tonight, because the designer thinks he wants to cut a foot and a half off the top off this wall, and there is no way any of us are going to install hand printed wallpaper until after the carpenters chop the wall apart.

Oh, and the screen printing company still hasn't exposed our second set of screens.

This is making me sprout grey hairs....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Schnauzer Pupcake Recipe
Poodle Pupcake Recipe
How to Pipe Grass Frosting on Cupcakes
How to Make Red, White and Blue Ice Pops
Boston Terrier Pupcake Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...