A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
643 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sampler Afghan? Anyone?  (Read 1793 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AgnesB
« on: October 01, 2005 06:06:28 PM »

I have an obsession for sampler afghans ... I think they are beautiful and I can try out various stitch patterns on a small scale.  I've just finished my second sampler afghan and I am very very happy with the result:

You can read about the details of this project on my blog.
I already have a next target ... the Great American Aran Afghan.  Anyone else like knitting afghans here? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

subloke
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005 06:18:35 PM »

That is BEAUTIFUL!!  I love the blues (that reads kind of funny...  you know what I mean...) and the edging is beautiful! 

I have wanted to do a sampler afghan for a long time.  I may have to try one soonish.

(BTW I can post here but I can't leave you a comment on your blog!  wierd.  I wanted to tell you I really liked this when I saw it there, but stupid computer...  you know... Smiley  )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't be a good example then you'll just have to be a horrible warning.

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com
Shan
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005 06:20:14 PM »

I love it and I love the colors. I always wanted to knit an afghan, however it seems like so much work. I like this idea of smaller squares sewn together. I think perhaps I could manage that.

Did you hear that they won't let you bring knitting needles on an airplane anymore... they are scared you will knit a Afghan. (Ha ha  snort.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused. - annonymous
ttchica78

Left handed hooker

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005 06:23:58 PM »

wow!  I love that afghan.  It's beautiful in so many ways.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rhiandmoi
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005 06:25:33 PM »

I like the colors, AND even more I like your idea of knitting it up as strips instead of squares. Joining and finishing is my least favorite part of knitting. I wish you could use a sewing machine to do it. Blech.

I just started my first sampler afghan this week. I like trying new pattern stitches, but I used to just make a scarf or a baby sized blanket. I am going to make a king size afghan so I get to try at least 80 patterns. I bought the Leisure Arts pamplet called 60 Easy-To-Knit Pattern Stitches to Combine to create Sampler Afghans and I have a couple of stich dictionaries so I am pretty excited. Unfortunately the squares aren't all the same number of stiches across so I can't do it in strips.
 After this project is done I want to do an Aran Afghan. I like doing cables but never know what do make with them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jshires

Bye bye boys! Have fun storming the castle!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005 06:28:31 PM »

That is lovely! I'm just learning to crochet, and all i can make are pot holders. Now that I have, like, half a dozen potholders plus christmas gifts for all my family (hope they like to cook lol) I want to try something else, but don't think I have the patience/ enough yarn to do a full afghan...So maybe I will try this! Is it basically like sewing together a bunch of different "potholders"? How do you sew them together? Any other tips for a beginner? Thanks! And did I mention I love yours?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 Jessi~La

"People, even more than things, have to be restored, renewed, revived, reclaimed, and redeemed; Never throw out anyone." ~Audrey Hepburn
My Wists
My Blog
SparroWinter
Androgynous scarf-knitter

Always twirling twirling twirling towards freedom.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005 06:31:52 PM »

I love the colours in that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Projects in Progress - Branching Out scarf
 - Numerous knitted blanket squares

Just Finished - Midnight scarf
 - Falliage scarf
 - Basketweave Baby Blanket
poppysmum

Mei has arrived! Pic ASAP...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2005 06:42:32 PM »

THAT IS BEAUTIFUL! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ctgirl
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2005 06:56:05 PM »

That's lovely and cozy looking.  I recently finished my second sampler afgan for my new nephew.....but I don't have pictures of it.  The first one I made looks oddly similiar to yours (at least my memory of it)......I posted it here on craftster a year ago.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=9063.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Debzzzbee
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2005 11:31:58 PM »

I have an obsession for sampler afghans ... I think they are beautiful and I can try out various stitch patterns on a small scale.
I have not knitted an afghan yet, have crocheted a few. Im currently knitting up 7x9 squares in various patterns & colors for 'Warm up America' afghans...and they are turning out so nice I want to keep them for myself and make an afghan similiar to yours (but I wont do that with my donation squares!) I,ll just have to make extra for my own project.  I like knitting up individual squares using different stitches too because you dont get bored as easily as if working on a huge afghan in the same redundant pattern. I love the color scheme you used and it looks seamless, I cant even tell that its sewn together. Great Job!! Now I really want to make one for myself!

P.S. love your blog too.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005 11:43:07 PM by Debzzzbee » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Production Studio - Adjusting Panels and Saving a Custom Workspace
Adobe Production Studio - Looking at the Mixer Panel in the Multitrack View
Adobe Production Studio - Editing in the Spectral Frequency Display View
Adobe Production Studio - Introducing the Adobe Audition 2.0 Interface
Adobe Production Studio - Audition and the Multitrack Environment
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...