A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,087
Currently Running With Scissors:
501 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Funny present, or sick? (Birthaids!)  (Read 1523 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MADness323
« on: October 01, 2005 12:15:07 PM »

Alright, so, my sister was talking about how one of her new friends, whom she barely knows, came along one day and said, "My birthday is Friday! Get me something, k?" and that got her thinking, what would be a good present for people you don't really know? Or who are hard to shop for? Something really origonal and funny...

and of course, she asked me what I think. Which was a bad idea, because I tend to have a sick mind. my idea,
Birthaids. A vial of fake... bodily fluids.. with a label saying 'AIDS'

I KNOW. Its sick. and wrong. But me and my friends think its a good idea for those like us who are rather strange and outgoing. You could give it to just about anyone other than your grandmother, and we're hoping people find it funny.... lets just hope we don't offend people.

So, I'm starting my own online shop of things I make and am thinking about selling them.

Good idea? Bad idea?
And anyone know of a good website were I can buy wholesale vials and such?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And the earth was without form or glory.

MissGobby.etsy.com
smarmyclothes
lex fiend

i can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005 12:48:52 PM »

hmmmm... i'm going to say that this is not funny.  i don't mean to rain on your parade or anything, but i just don't think that aids is something people will find funny and i don't think it's something to treat as a joke.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Era Vera
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005 12:51:59 PM »

Ha, I think it's funny. And I wouldn't be offended. But personally, I don't think there is anything that should not be treated as a joke.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://eravera.blogspot.com/ <-rarely updated crafting blog
http://modaveloce.blogspot.com/ <-fashion-y blog with some diy and photography/art stuff
MADness323
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005 01:26:53 PM »

ok, thank you both very much. I know it affects a lot of people and lots of people would really think its awful, but origonally I was talking about it with my teenage friends, and we're all pretty.. vulgar.

my sister actually just told my mom about this idea and mentioned that I was gonna post this asking first before I sold it, and my mom thought it was so rude that she told me to delete this.

Sorry to offend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissGobby.etsy.com
Era Vera
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005 01:36:36 PM »

Oh, I was wondering, what were you going to use for the 'bodily fluids'? Are you still going to do this?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://eravera.blogspot.com/ <-rarely updated crafting blog
http://modaveloce.blogspot.com/ <-fashion-y blog with some diy and photography/art stuff
BlueJeanBaby

Hello, lover!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005 01:44:02 PM »

I'm going to have to agree that it isn't that funny. I especially think that it's not a good gift for someone you barely know. A nice purse always makes me happy....maybe the girl needs a new purse.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MADness323
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005 01:52:27 PM »

we were going to use soap or something for fluids... but I doubt it will happen now (mother is rather furious)

It seemed like a good in-group thing because we're all very strange. No one has ever had a purse. We are all metal heads who are poor and don't have anything to carry in the purse in the first place... 'sept maybe cigarettes.

It sort of goes along with this joke in our group the guys have been doing lately, called 'alfa-male'. They... hump each other to proclaim dominance. (Just to give you an idea of what I'm working with here, heh)

so.. that was just an idea. Again, sorry to offend people. We're really... openminded? and aren't easliy offended, so its hard for those of us who care to figure out were we cross the line..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissGobby.etsy.com
smarmyclothes
lex fiend

i can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2005 02:14:12 PM »

i wouldn't say i was necessarily offended, i just don't think it's funny.  and i don't really think it has much to do with open-mindedness.  i understand that different people have different senses of humor.

i guess what i mean to say is, i don't think you're a horrible person for having this idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

purplepooh

Ha cha cha cha chaaaaa! Delicious!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2005 05:23:37 PM »

It's not funny to me, but regardless of that, I think this idea could get you in trouble.  Someone outside your group could see you walking around with something that looks like blood labeled "AIDS" and not be so amused.  They could call the police, health department, all kinds of government people.  People would be afraid because they wouldn't know what was in the vial.  It's like a smaller version of "don't yell FIRE in a crowded theatre".  Don't carry around vials of blood that appear to have a contagious disease in them, people will panic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rhiandmoi
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2005 05:44:39 PM »

I think this is something that would be funny in group.

Out of group this is something that could get you in real trouble. This could be interpreted as a hostile gesture and have you suspended from school. I don't know what your school's policy is towards hostile but not violent acts, but many schools take it very seriously.

I don't think you are sick for having this idea, but I don't really see the humor in it. It is probably one of those things that is a really good in-joke, but I would leave the rest of the world out of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Leather Toggle
Creating Designs with The Bernina Cutwork Accessory
How to Make a Flower Card for Special Occasions
How to Create Posh Seam Finishes
How to Knit Red Heart Sashay Scarves
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...