A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 299,135
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wedding UNtraditions?  (Read 10252 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

arrmatie
congenital pirate

not the sort of moth you might enjoy in a sandwich

View Profile WWW
« on: October 01, 2005 10:33:37 AM »

My sweetie and I are planning on getting married in either August or December 2006.  We're not religious and our families barely celebrate any holidays.  However, I'd love to have a ceremony as a celebration of our relationship and a party for our friends and families.  In that vein I've been trying to come up with anti-traditional (and tongue-in-cheek) wedding ideas.  Here are some:

1.  We're not religious and both of our mothers have god-shaped chips on their shoulders, so getting married by a minister is out of the question.  Nor do we want to be married by some random bureaucrat.  My solution:  hire an amateur actor, rent a costume and have BATMAN officiate.

2.  Flowers are overpriced and way too clich, so I'm going to have a bouquet consisting of fresh dill, fennel, and maybe a few bulbs of garlic.

3.  Instead of rose petals, our flower girl is going to strew snappers (the tiny fireworks) down the aisle.

4.  One of my fianc's nephews will carry my train, and by train I mean MODEL train.  As in choo-choo.

5.  Renting a tandem bicycle to get to the reception.  If I could convince the entire wedding party to ride their bikes I might tip off the local paper.

What do you think?  Any other ideas?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005 10:39:40 AM by arrmatie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ishy
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005 10:43:20 AM »

this is so random i'm not sure it's worth posting, but kinda in the punny vein of the train, i thought instead of a bouquet  a stuffed skunk - as in "Flower" from Bambi...I'm not sure a skunk would bode well, but it just struck me as funny...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arrmatie
congenital pirate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005 10:45:12 AM »

Hmmm.  If my neice weren't so in to frilly dresses I'd consider dressing her up as "Flower."  Maybe skunk centerpieces?  Great suggestion!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

erikau
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005 12:04:30 PM »

What about a costume wedding, by which I mean you can give your guests the option of coming dressed up. Maybe suggest they come dressed as whatever they wanted to be when they grew up? Or what they secretly wish they could be now that they are grown.  That should be good for a fair number of firemen, pirates and ballerinas in the audience.

Even if your niece likes foofy dresses, she could carry a stuffed skunk instead of a basket of flowers.

What are you guys wearing, or have you gotten that far in the decisionmaking?

erika
THIS ROCKS   Logged
arrmatie
congenital pirate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005 01:41:29 PM »

I like the costume idea, but I doubt many of my guests would go for it.  I generally figure most people have too many clothes issues to enjoy being required to dress any particular way.  When my sister graduated from high school she was required to wear a skirt shorter than her graduation gown, with pumps.  Doesn't sound too bad, until you consider that my sister has size 14 feet and (thanks to our mother putting us in Birkenstocks when our feet were growing) broad toes.  After going to every shoe store in our town, she ended up squeezing her feet into some cheap plastic size 12s from Payless.  Not very comfortable or pretty.  I told her that, as my bridesmaid, she can wear combat boots. 

As for my fianc and me, all we've decided is that he's going to wear either a brand new Utilikilt, or a nice formal tuxedo kilt.  My Mom keeps telling me I can't wear white, but I think she's just bitter because HER mom wouldn't let her wear white.  I'm torn between wanting to look like a bride and being worried about having a dress I can't wear again.  Clever ideas are definitely needed in this department.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LRS
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005 02:08:19 PM »

Here in Massachusetts, anyone can get a one day license to officiate at a wedding.  In Colorado, you don't even need a license - anyone can do it.  You might want to check out the law in your state.  My son had his aunt, my sister, perform the ceremony.  It was very personal to have a family member do it. 

Another un-tradition in their wedding:  they said that no one likes wedding cake, so they had wedding pie.  They bought a bunch of pies and most of the guests had two or three varieties. 

Have a blast.  Weddings should be more fun!

Go ahead and wear white.  It's been many years since anyone thought it's only for virgins. It's your wedding, not your mother's.  If you get married in warm weather, you could get a white sundress that you would definitely wear again, maybe with a knot or crocheted shawl.  As for the kilt, I want to come to your wedding.  Men in kilts are hot!

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy.com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.com
dee521

bear paws make me happy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005 07:54:50 AM »

i hope i'm not being a party-pooper, but.....my suggestion would be to tie in your un-traditions somehow, like in a certain theme. i'm only saying that picturing myself as a guest i think i would wonder why you're carrying garlic up to batman with a train behind you and a skunk in front. see what i mean? it's creative once you explain each of them, but it might be a little bewildering to your third cousin and her date....maybe if you tip off your plays on traditions in the program or something it could be fun for guests to notice all the twists. or maybe there's another non-traditional theme that fits you and your fiance's personalities and ties everything together... and about the white dress, that can mean so many other things for a bride besides virginity--joy or just that this day is so special so why not wear something only this once? i hope my advice doesn't offend and good luck planning!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005 08:27:14 AM »

I always liked the idea of giving my guests a challenge - I wouldn't want any gifts so I would tell guests that they can only spend 20 on their outfit and it must come from a charity shop - that way the charities get lots of money and I get a (hopefully) very strange array of guests!! I'd want some kins of fashion show and competition for the best outfit as well  Cheesy.

Also this helps in the 'I bet you made that or bought it from a charity shop' disparaging comments I get some times - hee hee - everyone in the same boat!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005 08:57:43 AM »

bah, why wear white? why not wear something REALLY bright and obnoxious? Like why not wear a magenta wedding gown?

aside from getting married in drag.. that's about as untraditional as I could see anyone getting
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The earth, stained with the blood of a thousand dying soldiers, weeps as she welcomes them home.

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/3wl9/1
arrmatie
congenital pirate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005 09:51:19 AM »

I suppose you have a point, but the whole idea is to parody/satire the traditional wedding.  If I went for the Bizarro World wedding, I'd wear ripped jeans, my groom would wear the magenta dress, we'd hold it in a graveyard, not invite anyone and instead of vows we'd throw crockery at each other and swear loudly.  Now, as much fun as that sounds like (I think I just planned my engagement/announcement party) it doesn't fulfill the stated purpose of formalizing our relationship and partying with friends and family.

Besides, I look awful in bright colors and loud prints.  And most of the colors I do like are the common oh-no-we're-living-together-I-can't-wear-white colors.  Screw that.

I am short on ideas for untraditional wedding attire.  All we've decided is that he's going to wear a kilt (he has sexy calves) and I'm going to wear a white dress with a full skirt (I like full skirts, and we ballroom dance so I'd be able to wear it again for formal dances) that I've made myself.  The problem is, I can't seem to come up with any sort of full-skirted design that doesn't look pretty much like the usual satin and tulle monstrosity.  I'd love something that made a statement, other than look-at-me-I'm-pretty.  I'd love something streamlined and futuristic. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Coconut Curry with Veggies
How to Prepare Broccoli Teriyaki
How to Make a Big Mac Sushi Roll
Shake It Up - Miso Dressing Recipe
Kitchen Kids: Making a Bento Lunch Box
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...