A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,399
Currently Running With Scissors:
819 Guests and 42 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone else on South Beach?  (Read 1383 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Goddess
« on: May 03, 2004 08:52:39 PM »

My fiance and I are on South Beach, and these first two weeks are a little killer with all the meat you have to eat. Anyone else on South Beach with some suggestions as to meatless recipes that are low carb and don't involve tofu? (he won't eat it)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ecinue88

0.5 second attention sp-

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004 09:10:16 PM »

Have you taken a look at the soy meat substitutes out there? They taste very different from tofu, and they are mostly protein as well. Take a visit to your local Asian/ethnic food store and you'll find tons of soy products that you could use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ForevrBee
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2004 04:33:55 AM »

How about Seitan (Praise Seitan!!!) Its a meat substitute made out of wheat gluten. There are various recipes for it Both that I've seen require wheat flour (or gluten itself)& water One recipe I found (The Incompleat Cheap Vegan Comp Zine) uses a seitan broth to cook it in. The other recipe (Garden Of Vegan) requires vegetable broth to cook it in. You can also find it in health food stores.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Damn the Man, Save the Empire!"
  ~Mark, Empire Records
Goddess
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2004 11:58:12 PM »

I shall try them both! thank you...this diet can be kinda brutal
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bluevivor
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2004 08:59:13 PM »

I saw a segment on discovery health channel....  they made lasagne, instead of using the lasagne noodles they used egg plant sliced really thin.  I wasn't sold on it at first, but.....the guy they made it for was from an Italian family, used to eating loads of pasta, he loved it!  Haven't tried it yet.... I plan on making it in the next week...I put on about 10 lbs between last summer and now  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Maripaz
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004 12:57:13 PM »

I've tried South Beach as well (although I only made it a few weeks before "falling off the wagon") and I agree the meat-intensive first couple of weeks are rather difficult.  As long as you're not vegan I'd recommend eggs (or egg-beaters) as an alternative to meat.  Although you may be getting sick of them if you're having eggs for breakfast as well, there are all sorts of omelette, frittata, and quiche (w/o crust)recipes out there to keep it interesting.

While I agree with FovevrBee that seitan is great, I'm not sure it's really south-beach friendly.  My guess would be that anything made primarily of wheat would be forbidden for Phase I and maybe even Phase II. 
Similar to bluevivor's recommendation, I've seen some "pasta" recipes where you create ribbon-like strips of zucchini using a vegetable peeler and just blanche them for 30 seconds or so in boiling water and serve with pasta sauce...maybe you could add some soy-crumbles to the sauce for added protein

One other suggestion - I've noticed they now have low-carb recipes on www.foodnetwork.com  You might be able to find some other ideas there.

Good luck!  I plan on giving it another try starting next week  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Demeter

Breaking Some Bad Habits

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004 12:41:52 PM »

I went on South Beach, but just for the first two weeks.  After that, I couldn't take it and just starting eating like I always do.  I lost eight pounds during those two weeks, but I've put it back on since then  Sad.  I'm going to try again really soon, though.

I agree that the first section of South Beach is brutal.  I like meat, but not that much.  I agree with Maripaz that eggs are a good source of protein that won't blow the diet.  The diet will allow you to eat them on a moderate level.  Also, consider eating a few nuts.  You're allowed to eat about a quarter cup of them per day.  That's good for snacking when the munchies really hit you.

There's quite a few vegeterians where I work and they all seem to enjoy soy-based products.  You could consider that.

Also, consider incorporating beans into your diet.  I think South Beach allows you to eat several types and those can fill you quickly without too many calories.

Good luck to you and your fiance.  South Beach is the best diet I've tried, but those first two weeks are killer!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tinydoom

*one of the ladies*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2005 12:49:00 PM »

I am currently on South Beach and am feeling pretty good about it, as well as having success.  One of the best side effects I have come across is that my usually acne prone skin looks great.  Someone told me it's the lack of sugar, but I digress......  One of the things I made is a stuffed eggplant with feta and additional veggies.
Cut and eggplant in half, scoop out and save the insides.  Put the two shells in the oven to bake.  Then take the eggplant insdes and sautee with other veggies of your choice and some chunks of feta.  Put the mixture back in your egglant boats and stick under the brolier to brown.  It's kinda like a twice baked potato that you can have on South beach!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LRS
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2005 01:10:52 PM »

My South Beach experience is very different.  I never ate better!  My husband and I did it over a year ago.  We used the recipes in the book and loved them.  We're maintaining now - I lost 35 lbs and have kept it off, but we're still using a lot of the recipes in that book because they're so good. 

We're not big meat eaters, but lots of meat and fish for two weeks wasn't bad.  Now we concentrate on veggies, eggs, and some meat. 

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy. com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.co m
beachbunny

"That's me on the beachside combing the sand"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2005 11:08:48 PM »

I know this isin't really what you asked but; I'm on Atkins and I lost 7lbs the first week and about 35 so far Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tie Dying Basics
Easy DIY Fabric iPhone Covers
How to Make a DIY Beach Cover-Up
Eco-Friendly Seed-Paper Stationery Wish Cards
How to Press Flowers and Display Them
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...