A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,058
Currently Running With Scissors:
581 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric Storage  (Read 5247 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cute_anarchy
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2008 11:26:56 AM »

I just wish they sold things like this that were made to go on a clothes hanger, so I could fill the closet with them!

Oh, but they do make them! http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?searchId=16263631&itemIndex=56&CATID=150&PRODID=10022388 And the fabric into shoe storage thing is a great idea.... hmmm!  Thanks for the pretty visual & great ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a medium aged procrastinator, with a room full of craft supplies! 

I've got a wist and a pinterest: http://www.wists.com/cute_anarchy 
FLooZySue
I Was gonna make a tomato sandwich... that is until the sand started pouring outta my pincushion 80)...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2008 02:26:02 PM »

Here's another closet hanging storage thingy that is pretty cool. I have three very similar to this that are OVER stuffed with fabric. I think they are quite nice, mine is natural colored (think canvas-ish muslin) and has a bamboo like bottom on each of the inside tiers, it just velcros around your closet bar. I'm thoroughly impressed with how much they will hold and handle the weight; if I had to guess I'd say they EASILY weigh over 70lbs each and this doesn't even make a dent in the FULL glory of ma Stash.... One day After I get organized enough I will post pics of "stashZilla"...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4888331

Yup, and I got mine at wallyworld too for about $12-13 bucks: these things are cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2008 03:36:04 PM »

I am in awe that those things can hold so much weight!  I am rethinking my shelves concept in the closet now!  I have 4 of those hanging clothes holders that I picked up at Ikea for 99cents each (score!) and now I am wondering if I should pull out one of the shelves and change to the hanging way.... hmmmm.... might need to consider it considering how badly I am in need of a restructuring/downsizing/reorganization.. Embarrassed

Now that I am slowly getting my craft room to where I want it to be I will move my eyes to the closet sometime in the not so distant future...!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
FLooZySue
I Was gonna make a tomato sandwich... that is until the sand started pouring outta my pincushion 80)...

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2008 03:14:02 PM »

This is what I'm currently working on.... Folding folding folding folding and yes, you guessed it MORE folding.... I have REAL fears (as in the more I fold the more I realize I need more room) that this Expedit (the BIG cube unit from Ikea) will not contain all of my UNBOLTED fabric... and so I continue to fold... I cut cardboard templates (just a tad smaller than the cube size) to help in keeping the pieces folded uniformly and tidy. Whatever doesn't fit I will continue to use the closet hanging compartment things for and work it into the big shelf as I use up fabrics.... I REALLY hope to organize the shelf fabrics by category & color (gotta make it pretty) ... African Wax & Batiks.... Cotton Prints... Cotton Solids.... Home Dec and heavy weights... and Delicates (silks chiffons satins, rayons). Because the only space I had large enough to accommodate the shelf was in front of  Windows I plan to make "roll up drapes" or covers on both sides to protect from sun fading and dust. I am also taking photos and collecting swatches of everything to keep a record just as an easy way to review all of the stuff I have... Nothing like forgetting you have a certain fabric and rediscovering it.. RIGHT? LOL

I'll post more pics as I get it filled in and organized nice and neat!

UpDATED PIC... Oh it's getting Full! and I still have LOTSA fabric left to go!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008 01:08:53 PM by FLooZySue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
AnoxiaSan
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2008 09:21:46 AM »

hey
what about getting a clothes rack and hanging all the pieces of fabric on trouser hangers?
you could also do the same but install a clothes rail in an alcove

I see you've observed the way Hancock hangs some of their fabrics.  It is a good idea, and it would be great if someone had an extra closet to spare in their home.

I live in a really small apartment. Seriously, my living room is 9x9 Feet.  My desk is 8 feet long, lol.  2/3 of the desk is for sewing, and the other third is for school work, lol.

I have those really long 41 quart "Under the bed" containers stacked up under the desk, halfway out.  The fabric inside is sorted by color, since I mainly sew three types of fabric, this system works well for me. They stack up 4 high, and I have two columns of em.  Maybe this will work out for you?

I had to figure out an efficient system, since I share the living space with the BF.  The fabric is important, because that's how I pay the bills, lol. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please see my Etsy:   www.anoxiasan.etsy.com  Help a College Student out! : )

*Currently Sewing tons of scarves*
southernstitcher

Proud citizen of the Who Dat Nation!

« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2008 07:10:07 PM »

Sue, OMG.  Your stash looks so perfect.  I assume you got the storage unit at Ikea?  Such a bummer that I have no Ikea nearby. 

I just rearranged my 10x10 sewing space, and have lots more room now after removing a dresser.  It held fabric and supplies, but something had to go.  No room to turn around. 
I sorta rolled the stash (hurriedly and sloppily) on shelves on a deep bookcase, and the rest is in sterilites.  I want to put all the fabric in my small closet.  This will mean removing the shelf and rod and waiting till the DH can help me install a closet organizer.  One with plenty of shelves.  Plenty. Of. Shelves. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008 07:21:18 PM by southernstitcher » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you are interested in making me some knitted dishcloths, contact me for a swap!  I'll sew you something or gift you with supplies!

When life hands you green velvet, make a green velvet dress.

My Wist:  http://www.wists.com/southernstitcher
oneyedsally

Fabric is taking over my house!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2008 12:56:24 PM »

FLooZySue...wow you have a lot of fabric! I'm quite jealous  Smiley

I love Ikea as well and buy all of my storage units there. All of my heavy duty fabric is stored on the Billy, which has adjustable shelves. I got it in white because it's half the price! I made the bottom shelf high enough to store bolts, and all the others are various heights. This is where I have my corduroy, canvas and vinyl, they're semi-color sorted. Also I have a really narrow shelf which holds this drawer sorter thing I bought to hold all my snaps and D-rings.

I also have two Traby units stacked on top of each other. I bought some really sturdy canvas boxes at Target ($10 each) for my quilting cotton. Red for reds/oranges, green for yellows/greens, blue for blue and white for interfacing scraps. Or you could get all one color and just make sure they stay in rainbow order or something like that. The cotton is folded and I have it stacked horizontally so I can see all the fabrics when I look inside, if that makes sense. Each box is full so the fabric holds itself up. On the other four shelves I have remnants (still in rolls), patterned canvas in a stack, notions, and sewing books/patterns. The boxes work for me because I bring my cotton with me to craft shows so people can look through it for custom bags, and not everyone is crowded around one plastic tub. I can just pull the boxes right off the shelf and take them to the show, and the most I have to do is some refolding afterwards.

For my knit fabric, I just have it folded in one of those hanging sweater organizers. It works really well and it's hidden in the closet which is great. I have it sorted by color (can you sense a theme???).

I'd really recommend those storage boxes if your shelves are the right size. Target, Wal-Mart and Ikea all have them, although the ones I got at Target are the sturdiest (and largest) by far. The Ikea ones are plastic and I'm afraid they'd snap under the weight. The boxes come in lots of colors to match your decor and even if you fold your fabric, it doesn't always look neat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you like handmade bags and purses, check out my etsy!

http://londonpurple.etsy.com

My blog http://londonpurple.blogspot.com
jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2008 07:17:56 AM »

FloozySue - I'm using an expedit for fabric, too!  Unfortunately, I use a lot of felt and fun fur and just not so neatly foldable fabric so it's not nearly as pretty as yours!  I also got the desk extension which is AWESOME.  I just need to get in there and organizer more! Like you I have more stuff than cubes...  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bowens Lighting
Printing Photographs
How to Buy a Bridge Camera
Photography Devices News
Photomart’s Summer Workshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...