A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,171
Currently Running With Scissors:
588 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric Storage  (Read 5290 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sewnutzz
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2008 06:18:04 PM »

My favorite storage idea is to consider my local fabric shop as my off-site storage facility!  If I didn't I would be drowning in fabric. 

The fabric I have at my house is stored in rubbermaid bins (they hold up better than sterlite) that are clear (so I can see in a glance what is stored there) and stored on shelves in a closet dedicated to the fabric stash I aquired before I joined Fabri-holics Anonymous.  I group fabric by use or type (Christmas, fleece, kiddie, linen, wool, costume/garb, etc). 

Home dec fabrics are stored on rolls, either corraled vertically in a moving wardrobe box (a new large garbage can can also do the trick) or hung horozontally on the wall from a system of hanging loops of upholstery webbing hung from a length of conduit that is placed on very large screw hooks that are screwed into studs. I have about 16 rolls of fabric hanging now on the wall next to the door (otherwise wasted space because the door opens against that wall...but just enough space for the horozontal fabric rolls.)

That said, I have more fabric than I will sew in my life time on hand.  Therefore, I now shop my stash first and do not buy fabric just because of its fabulousness...there is always fabulous fabric out there at the off site storage facilities.

SewNutzz/AnneWynne
Remember, she who dies with the most fabric is still dead....when is the estate sale!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jess115
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2008 05:06:22 PM »

I've been thinking about buying some of those hanging cloth shoe racks.  If you have enough room in your closet, the fabric can go unseen.  My fabric is in a dresser but I'm running out of room.

Here's a link to what I was talking about:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=6023221
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008 05:08:48 PM by jess115 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
quiquesmom

I love this show

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2008 09:03:54 PM »

I got a great idea from this blogger:
http://www.splityarn.com/split_yarn/2005/09/fabric_justice.html

I bought an inexpensive bookcase and some comic book boards and wrapped my fabric.  It's still a work in progress but my fabric is definitely a lot more organized now.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
kristianne88

Skulls & Leopard Print... How Could U Go Wrong?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2008 01:14:17 AM »

I am envious of your stash!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2008 05:37:32 AM »

quiquesmom - I was going to do this as well but am afraid my fabric is too large for wrapping around comic board (which I have an endless supply of since my husband is a comic book collector and buys them in bulk...)
What is the largest piece of material size you wrapped - before I go and raid the board stash that is...

Just curious to see before I undertake a total room overhaul.  I might need to separate out fabric that is smaller and then continue to keep the big pieces folded on shelves in the closet..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
quiquesmom

I love this show

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2008 08:00:13 AM »

I am envious of your stash!

I have more than that.  I'm so ashamed.  I'm such a fabric hoarder.  My yarn stash (I also knit) is even worse. Cheesy

Here's a picture of a little over 5yds of fabric that I wrapped.  It's the biggest one that I have.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2008 08:03:15 AM »

Thanks for the info.  I am definitely going to give it a try and see how it goes.  I'll definitely start with the smaller pieces since they tend to get swallowed up by the big pieces...

This will also give me reason to weed out a ton of fabric that I will probably never use for one reason or another.  Long overdue overhauling of the craft room sounds like a great project next week..

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
pinky_rocks
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2008 11:39:02 AM »

that fabric is supercool! i would use it for a knitting needle case with it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ciarac
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2008 03:12:41 PM »

Thanks for all the replies!  I think my favourite so far is winding them like sushi rolls...I have a few wine crates that might look pretty with them in!  Lots of good suggestions though.

Cheers,

Ciara
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hellga
Shiny and Cool!

^ Dumbo Octopus ^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2008 10:59:26 AM »

OMG i am so doing this! someone had suggested to me that i cut out cardboard sheets from the free ebay boxes i have, and use those, but i hate cutting corrugated cardboard so much, and that seemed like an awful lot of work just to wrap some fabric around...but wow! i'm buying about 3 sets of 100 boards as soon as i get my tax rebate check in may!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the unofficial craftster chat! Click Here! Alternatively, using IRC, join server irc.aniverse.com and then join the #craftster channel!
Personal Swaps: I am looking for wool yarn for crocheting and felting. Want to swap?
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
I Am Spam: Anthony Eats America Ep. 4 - Deleted Scene
Cherry Pie With Lattice Top Recipe
Wrigley Field Chef Shows How to Make Chicago Chopped Relish
Calorie Counting at the State Fair: Do You Even Want To?
Hot Dog Restaurant Keeps Customers Coming For More Than a Decade
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...