A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,155
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric Storage  (Read 5285 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SpottedFrog
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2008 12:26:35 PM »

My fabric stash is epic Smiley I have six horizontal filing cabinet drawers full and more in boxes that don't fit in the drawers. I essentialy fold it like the others, but instead of open shelving the folded pieces then go in hanging file folders (plastic ones) in drawers. This is important where I live because our sun is harsh and the dust gets thick, I also have a lot of vintage fabric. I have some extra deep closed side hanging pockets for small pieces, if it's under a yard it gets tossed in these. These pockets are organized by color, it's a pretty rainbow drawer Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Piehole
so many ideas, so many children, so little time

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2008 02:03:10 PM »

I roll my fabric and just yesterday installed a new heavy duty metal shelving unit in a closet to hold all my crafting supplies. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

so many ideas, so many children, so little time
Burst
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2008 07:52:46 PM »

My mom does the hanging shoe bag thing, and it's great. I just don't have anywhere to hang something like that.
I have a cube thing. It's got 9 squares and I roll the fabrics and stack them in the cubes. Some cubes have little fabric drawers for scraps and purse handles. One open cube has my threads and one has other sewing-related junk.
It works really well for me.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Join a group blog for sewers, knitters and crocheters at http://www.mustmakemore.blogspot.com
kynd_haze
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2008 08:15:09 PM »

Burst. I like that. Very neat and organized and most importantly easily acessible and out of the way
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nothings for certain, it could always go wrong,
We could have us a high time, living the good life, well I know.
LoriS.
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2008 05:33:49 PM »

I fold mine flat (kind of like those that are using those boards, I'll have to go looking for them) and then insert it into a gallon size ziplock baggie since we have a dust issue. Then all the ziplock baggies go on end in storage boxes (like printer paper boxes) that I bought at the office store. The boxes are turned on their side and sit on a shelf. then I can just thumb through them. It looks a lot like the system that was posted with them on their side in that bookcase, except mine are in baggies. I also have mounted four 8foot long closet poles and have fabric folded and hung over hangers. Three of the poles are on one wall above eachother and the other one is on a different wall underneath where the shelves of baggie fabrics are. This is all in a huge basement room though. I have a lot of fabric lol. And I haven't even finished organizing all of it yet. I suspect there will end up being another hanging rack and another shelf of baggie fabric before I'm done. Smiley It sounds like I've been building my stash for a lot more years than the rest of you have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mom2blu
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2008 07:47:19 AM »

With the concept of us having more kids my current craft room must be sacraficed, and I'm on my way to the basement. After much cleaning, damp riding, a dehumidifer, and some painting and minor finishing it will be my 300+ square foot studio again. (I was done there before but the dampness was killing my stuff and my allergies)

I'm working on my plan of howvere will be done, what needs to be done, creating a budget etc, and cannot decide HOW to store all my fabric. It has concrete block walls, so wall shelves are out. And the budget needs to be as low as possible. I really like to be able to SEE everything, but how??

There are just so many options. The ceiling is beams, and will stay beams, so I can hang items. I was thinking of those hanging "sweater" bags for closets. Plus I could put bug scaring away sachets inside, and have a little extra protection. I could also use large bin/baskets, one for each color? I could try to get a cheap armoire, but really how long until that is outgrown?! The room has a large table already, so I could put shelves or something underneath.

Please everyone give me fabric storage ideas!

Also has anyone done something similar and if so any idea of a reasonable budget to set? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I want to fill my home and life with handcrafts! PM me if you want to do a personal swap!

I have brand new inkpads and stamps I need to get rid of. Good brands too. I want to swap for other supplies! PM me if you're interested!

HELPPPP I'm addicted to wists!!!!! www.wists.com/mom2blu
FLooZySue
I Was gonna make a tomato sandwich... that is until the sand started pouring outta my pincushion 80)...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2008 05:55:08 PM »

OH MAN I am sooo understanding what you are going through right now. Though I get to hang shelves and such I have a nearly micrscopic sized room to use.

I would go through the IKEA catalog and make a wish list for some of those GORM series adaptable shelving..... as seen here http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/hallway/10898/

They are all pretty cheap, but since things can add up, I would get my happy little butt on craigslist.org and look for them second hand and negotiate a proce for next to nothing, YAYE!

Then all you have to figure out is the type of bins you might like to put them in or someway to keep them covered, or not you may like them stacked up all pretty just by themselves...

I drool over the ikea catalog.... I think I must go buy a lottery ticket now....
Seriously though, if you come up with a cool plan I'd love to know what solution you come up with.

Best of luck to ya! Grin
« Last Edit: October 16, 2008 05:37:03 PM by FLooZySue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sassypriscilla
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2008 09:00:31 AM »

It is always an issue. I purchased an armoire and used a great tip for fabric folding using a quilting ruler. Results can be seen here:

http://sassypriscilla.typepad.com/sassy_priscillas_craft/2007/06/fabric_folding_.html

However, I realize an armoire might be a little pricey. It was a treat for us to get one. I recommend using an old dresser or perhaps getting some crates that you can set on their side. You could ask your liquor store if they have any wine crates you can have or purchase cheaply. Fabric folded in the manner mentioned above allows for creative storage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jessie_jane
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2008 12:03:52 PM »

I'm also working on my crafting space. So jealous of your 300sqft, i have a 5'x8' closet i'm working on so everything is being hung on the wall, including a drafting table on one wall, and a desk for my sewing machines on the opposite wall.

Anyways you could anchor shelves from the ceiling beams, we did this in our storage unit. We built everything ourselves, so it was all custom. If you have someone handy, makes it pretty easy. It wasn't to expensive mostly just lumber, screws and bolts. But i would suggest also using plastic bins if there is any more moisture. Good luck

would love to see pics
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hellga
Shiny and Cool!

^ Dumbo Octopus ^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2008 10:00:54 AM »

Here's mine so far:

For reference, the brown and teal polka dot fabrics are 2 yards and 1.5 yards, and there is still room left...The khaki near the bottom is 4.5 yards and the space is full. So, much more than just a yard each! The organizer was like $7 at walmart, cheaper than I could make it for, really.

Now I just need four more...the closet in that room has two big wide doors that swing out, so I could totally put one organizer on each side of each door. I just wish they sold things like this that were made to go on a clothes hanger, so I could fill the closet with them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the unofficial craftster chat! Click Here! Alternatively, using IRC, join server irc.aniverse.com and then join the #craftster channel!
Personal Swaps: I am looking for wool yarn for crocheting and felting. Want to swap?
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Easy Minecraft Pig Cupcakes
Strawberry Angel Food and Coffee and Donut Milkshake Recipes
How to Make a Pineapple Coconut Meringue Torte
Old-Fashioned Lemon Sugar Cookie Recipe
How to Make Rhubarb and Ginger Fro-Yo
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...