A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
502 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric Storage  (Read 5170 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PassionFaerie
Certified PackRat

Um, yeah.

View Profile WWW
« on: October 01, 2005 08:33:17 AM »

My name is Valerie, and I am a Fabricholic.

My collection is currently creeping up from my basement into the dining room, soon it will take over the entire house.
I am lucky enough to have my own little crafting set up in the dining room, with a desk, shelves, etc. But I need some way to store all this fabric. It will be visible so it needs to be somewhat eye pleasing. Any ideas?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Radical Imperfection!
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005 08:54:38 AM »

Quilter's magazines sometimes show sewing rooms with bookcases or other wooden furniture with shelves stacked with folded fabric. The fabric has usually been organized by color. That's not very inventive, I know, but all the different colors and patterns of the quilting fabric makes a nice display.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005 08:56:22 AM »

I keep mine in one of those clear plastic storage bins. I pretty much know whats in it, but a good suggestion may be to make a fabric book. Put in a small sample, write down what bin it is in, and how much you have. My mom's workspace is in the baement and there is just fabric scattered everywhere around there. She is such a packrat, but never took time to containerize.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tofuttibreak
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005 09:08:04 AM »

I have the same problem. I can't really put shelves up in our house, because the studs are
very uneven. So, I was thinking I might build some plywood cubby type shelves that
could stack into a unit. I think I'll make some 2 ft long x 1 ft wide rectangles and some
1X1 cubes. That way if I decided to reorganize, I could move them.

I just came up with this a few days ago, so I haven't really thought it through.
Does anyone foresee any problems? I had a bookcase I thought about using, but it
really wasn't deep enough.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PassionFaerie
Certified PackRat

Um, yeah.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005 10:05:41 AM »

Thats my thing too, I have a couple trunks, but they are not deep enough. I'm thinking of just building a big square trunk and wrapping the fabric around carboard rolls or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Radical Imperfection!
LRS
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005 02:19:41 PM »

I've used a couple of different systems over the years. For decent sized pieces, I have a stack of milk crates in the corner of of closet.  Fold the pieces and lay them flat, with a folded edge at the front.  I sort by fabric type (knits, fleece, shirt weight, wool and corduroy, dressy) but I know that some people prefer color.  Really big or bulky pieces may be rolled and put on a deeper shelf.

Mid size pieces are folded and stood on end in a drawer.  I can open the drawer and see what I've got.

Little scraps are folded or rolled and put into a shoe box, on its side on a shelf. 

Don't store fabric where the sun will get at it - you can get faded edges.  If you have woolens, store them in a container that you can seal against moths. 

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy. com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.co m
spoilt_bitch
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005 03:38:47 AM »

hey
what about getting a clothes rack and hanging all the pieces of fabric on trouser hangers?
you could also do the same but install a clothes rail in an alcove
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jelly.
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005 04:04:39 AM »

I just reoragnised alll my fabric today and yesterday - before now it was shoved in a basket, and some in an old suitcase, and some in my sewing cabinet, and i couldnt get to it because everytime i opened it it all fell out. and some in drawers too.

now its all folded nicely and in clear plastic crates.  i tried to make it so that each piece of fabric was against at least one side so i could see them from the outside, and i organised mine by the size of the pieces, so all the huge bits of fabric are in one crate, all the teeeny bits in another, etc.
I was gonna make a fabric bbok, but i figured it would be more inspiring to just look through my fabric.  plus, i thought of it too late.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spoilt_bitch
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005 04:09:23 AM »

Another good idea is too sort your fabric in too different types such as colour, fibre, pattern etc and then store them in see through crates.

And so you know what you have already got ,you should make a fabric file which is basically a ring binder with small samples of your different fabrics stabled into it and underneath each one you could put a little info. You could then add and delete as you buy/use different fabrics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NessaGurl
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005 05:44:16 AM »

Wow...I have the exact same problem as PassionFaerie...too much fabric that is taking over my house (actually all my crafts are taking over the house)...but I have a mother in law that gives me lots of nice upholstry fabric so I have tons...these suggestions are great, and I think I'm going to make a swatch book or ring because half my problem is trying to find the material I know I have...but which container is it in?Huh 

Thanks for the good ideas ladies...I'll get my life organized some day Grin

NessaGurl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy Shop...
http://thislittlebird.etsy.com 

My Wist
http://www.wists.com/ThisLittleBird

I would love to do a personal swap for Quality, well made felt or crochet play foods for my daughter... contact me if you are interested. Check out my shop to see what I could make for you
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Props Can Enhance Auditions
How Memorizing Lines Affects Your Audition
The Importance of Creating a Personal Acting Website
How to Social Network as an Actor
How to Stay in Character for an Audition
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...