A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,469
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Trift Shop Yarn  (Read 2289 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Faerietail
Wing-Maker Extraordinaire

When force is gone, there's always Mom. Hi Mom!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 01, 2005 03:17:53 AM »

On a random trip to the Salvation Army thrift shop, I came across two bags of what suspiciously seemed to be wool. I fished out this note, and lo and behold it WAS wool!

I guess it's been sitting in some person's closet for 15 years, and they finally came to the conclusion that they just weren't gonna spin it! It's two whole fleeces (the other one is pinky colours), and I've started spinning up the bag of blue fleece:

This is only a fraction of the bag, spun up on my drop spindle. I reckon I've got enough wool here to spin up at least a sweater's worth of yarn. I think I'm going to get sick of pastel blue, green and pink REALLY quickly though!! I'll certainly overdye some of it.

Anyway, whaddaya think of my yarn? It's the most even that I've spun so far, with a lot less twist-back than my previous attempts. I still need to set the twist though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Buy some fairy wings! - www.faerietail.com
Buy hand spun yarn - fey.etsy.com
Amethyst
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005 03:30:53 AM »

I'd like to whack the person who bought that much wool just to let it sit in a closet for over a decade. Tongue Talk about wasteful.

But it looks like you did a nice job of spinning it! Maybe you can make it greener or bluer, or add purple?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Faerietail

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005 04:12:03 AM »

I know, if I'd met them, I would've given them a good kick in the butt! Even so, their silliness is my wonderful find! I have to admit though, I did check for spiders and other weirdness before I plunged my hand into the bag Shocked

Yeah, I think I'll make some of it brighter greens and blues. And I might do some with some added lavendar purples, like you suggested, and mix in some pinks, orange, etc and make it more rainbowy. We shall see! I'm actually waiting to spin more for the moment, because I'm going to go pick up my new spinning wheel in a a few weeks (yay yay yay yay!!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loves2experiment
Swap Moderator
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Irreverent. Indomitable. Incorrigible.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005 05:05:41 AM »

Wow...that's a terrific find!  The yarn you spun looks awesome.  I love the colors...they're serene Smiley  My recent experience with thrift shop yarn was less than fabulous.  I brought home a huge skein of turquoise yarn and was all excited to work with it...only to discover dead creepy crawlies embedded in the yarn (no, you couldn't tell until you opened the package!).  It freaked me out and I threw the whole lot out Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...loves to experiment...not a monogamous crafter...

STS Spring Market 2014
Faerietail

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005 05:12:21 AM »

Wow...that's a terrific find!  The yarn you spun looks awesome.  I love the colors...they're serene Smiley  My recent experience with thrift shop yarn was less than fabulous.  I brought home a huge skein of turquoise yarn and was all excited to work with it...only to discover dead creepy crawlies embedded in the yarn (no, you couldn't tell until you opened the package!).  It freaked me out and I threw the whole lot out Sad

Yeeeeegh, how icky! I am worried about finding similar things in this wool. The blue/green is ok, but I haven't touched the bag of pink yet. Still, I feel a bit squeamish about touching this wool - the lanolin has hardended a little and yellowed in some places, so it's not really very nice to handle. I am perservering though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hello.mango
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005 05:12:46 AM »

What a fantastic find, although how crazy to have that lying about the place unused!  Some people are just mad!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handspun yarn and Crochet!
www.hellomango.co.uk
http://www.livejournal.com/users/hello_mango/
UK Crafters - GO HERE: http://www.craftermath.co.uk/index.html
Join in and help start a PROPER UK CRAFT SCENE.
liquorice
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005 05:33:35 AM »

Oh my, that's horrible! I bought a lot of yarn from a thrift store a week ago, but since I haven't seen it moving, I think it'll be fine. I actually have a question about it, it's probably a bit of topic, but I'll give it a try. The yarn I bought is Patons Turkey Rug Wool. I'm planning to knit bags from it, that I want to felt. It doesn't say whether it is a hundred percent wool, but I do think it will felt nicely. The yarn doesn't smell very nice and since I have no idea where it came from I really want to wash it. Should I wash it before I knit, or would it be easier just to knit and then put it in the washingmachine to wash and felt at the same time. Does wool felt better when it's clean or doesn't it make a difference to the felting process wether it is clean or not?
It would be great if one of you could help me. I'm still really new to felting and to knitting as well actually. Thanks!

Faerietail - In all my eagerness to ask my question I completely forgot to congratulate you on your fabulous find! The yarn has come out beautiful. I agree with making the colours a bit brighter and adding purple is allways a good thing! And good luck with the pinkish wool!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005 05:45:16 AM by liquorice » THIS ROCKS   Logged

You do it to yourself, you do, and that's why it really hurts.
You do it to yourself, just you, you and no one else.

Radiohead
Faerietail

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2005 06:19:43 AM »

liquorice - if it's really smelly and icky, I'd wash it first (cause who wants to knit smelly wool?). I'd wash it in a sink in warm water (with no detergent, as this could help to felt it) - just soak it for a while, take it out of the water, give it a rinse in warm water, soak again if needed, and then gently squeeze out as much water as you can without wringing and roll up in a towel to get the excess water out. Then hang it over a doorknob/hanger/etc until it's dry and knit it up! If it's still smelly after that, you can soak it again, or just knit it and felt/wash it in the machine with a good bit of soap.

ETA: you'd probably find it MUCH easier to wash if you make it into a skein first (you can do that by wrapping it around the top of a straight backed chair, and then tying it off in 3-4 places to secure it). It'll also be easier to hang/dry if you do that. Of course, you would have to knit it from a skein or roll it back up in to a ball if you did that - not sure how you feel about that! Other knitters here might say that it's fine to wash in ball form, though? Or might tell you not to wash it at all? Eh? Eh?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005 06:22:40 AM by Faerietail » THIS ROCKS   Logged

puppymomma

matches? we don't need no stinkin' matches

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2005 08:19:33 AM »

just

so

jealous
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every day may not be a good day to die, but every day is a good day to eat pancakes.

http://funkyjewtopia.com
apixiegrl
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2005 11:41:43 AM »

What a wonderful find!!! The yarn looks really nice too.. has a nice shine to it. I bet it was a real good deal at the thrift store ... Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Rid of Foundation Flashback in Photos
Designers in the Beauty Business at NYFW
Fresh DIY Beauty Scrub Recipe from LUSH
Lipstick Does More Than You Think
Easy Nail Art Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #102-MissingWillow
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...