A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 299,125
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fashion Silhouette of Myself  (Read 2633 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alisonwonderland
« on: October 01, 2005 12:38:44 AM »

When I am designing something that I think might be complicated I like to draw it first, and since I'm not really good at freehanding shapes I like to use those fashion silhouettes. The only problem is, I don't really look like this:

So I decided tonight (instead of going to bed like I should have) that I would make a fashion silhouette of myself. It was an interesting process...beginning with me feeling very silly standing in front of the mirror in only my undies and bra (and socks, but my feet weren't part of the final process anyway). I took a picture of myself because I don't really have anyone that I felt like I could say "hey, please take an almost-naked picture of me" to.

I opened up that picture and had a good look at myself and how I am really shaped. I started cutting away all of the things in the picture that weren't me (like my bedspread and the floor), using a freehand selection tool. When I had cut away everything I didn't want I saved the file as a .jpg and reopened it. I adjusted the threshhold so it was just a black shape of me. Then I made the blackness into a light grey so I could print it.

I printed out a copy of the light grey version, and a copy that I had saved of the semi-naked me cut out how I wanted it. I laid the grey one over the picture one and traced around my bra and underwear so that I would be able to tell where my boobs really end and all that good stuff. I also added some details like the fashion silhouettes sometimes have, my collarbones for example and also my breastbone so I could keep my center correct.

I took this picture and scanned it, and again adjusted the threshold so that it would be simply an outline of the things I wanted. I'm sure there would be some way to outline all this stuff directly in the computer, but it was hard and I'm tired.

Here is my final silhouette: now I can draw clothes and see how they will really turn look on my exact body type!

You'll notice that I have no head, I have nothing from my mid calves down, and one of my arms just ends. To avoid these problems I'd suggest these things: Put your hair up tightly so you can trace your neck/head more closely instead of guessing like I did, don't wear socks when you take the picture or your ankles look lumpy and again, you have to guess, and have someone else take the picture (you can wear a swimsuit or something if you don't like the underwear idea).

I guess that's about it.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005 12:40:35 AM by alisonwonderland » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't seem to be the same today as I was yesterday.
glasskatana
tamara, a glass katana

i like bright and shiny things.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005 12:49:14 AM »

i like that.

it's  a very good idea that was well explained!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Fish die belly upward, and rise to the surface. Its their way of falling."

Andre Gide
ragadyanne400

Am I a llama?!?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005 01:04:21 AM »

Fantastic idea. I'd been wanting to do something similar but couldn't quite figure out how. Thanks for the tips.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

poppysmum

Mei has arrived! Pic ASAP...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2005 03:39:56 AM »

Wish I looked like you! (But with a head. And some feet. And maybe a full arm...) This is a great idea but I reckon I'd scare myself into seclusion if I looked at myself naked for that long! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craft-matic
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2005 07:20:26 AM »

(I would run screaming if I ever crossed paths with the top woman in real life.  Proof again, as though we needed it, that fashion models aren't symbols of beauty so much as clothes hangers for designers not talented enough to sew clothes with curves).

Your silouhette is great, and its a great idea.  I am new to sewing but have little patience for patterns, so I'll be making liberal use of this idea!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2005 12:17:13 PM by craft-matic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005 08:59:41 AM »

Good idea. Barbara Deckert's book on sewing for plus-sizes had fashion silhouettes for four basic plus-size body types, but this idea is much more clever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
alisonwonderland
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2005 12:02:59 PM »

Wish I looked like you! (But with a head. And some feet. And maybe a full arm...) This is a great idea but I reckon I'd scare myself into seclusion if I looked at myself naked for that long! Wink

You know, I'm happy with my body but I do have to say that staring at my skin and shape super closely for a long time while I did the cutting out was a little disturbing. I wish I could freehand in some feet and a head and the rest of my arm, but I'm really bad at drawing stuff like that and I think I would end up looking really scary. Oh well Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't seem to be the same today as I was yesterday.
Sewlittletime

Pink frosting is wunnerful, dahlink!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2005 08:39:11 AM »

You are such a smart cookie!! What a fantastic idea! I'm bookmarking this page so I don't forget.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ClassyLassy
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2005 09:06:00 AM »

that's so clever, i'll definitely be trying it. and i'd much rather make clothes to your silhouette than the one above any day!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Everything is a miracle. It is a miracle that one does not dissolve in one's bath like a lump of sugar." -Pablo Picasso
humblestumble
Craftster enhances life.

Retro crafty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2005 11:19:30 AM »

Thats an awesome idea. I've been sketching clothes designs too, but I've been just redrawing the people the same way over and over again.

The first one has a close resemblance to Cher.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.amschwengler.com

http://craftster.ourtoolbar.com <-- I made a Craftster toolbar for us obsessed Craftster members

"Takes 2 steps to get up and one to fall down."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Marge Simpson - 13th Drawing
How to Draw Groundskeeper Willie - 32nd Drawing
Brush Mixing Leaf Green
How to Recognize Value and Temperature of Color When Brush Mixing
How to Brush Mix
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...