A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 301,552
Currently Running With Scissors:
577 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Amazing Knicker Swap -- Signups CLOSED -- send by Nov 14th  (Read 4920 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rachelyra
Medium Reality

making stuff, taking names.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005 04:34:33 PM »

Well, it certainly doesn't say how they're made but i love dharma trading - at least some support would be going to a great company!  how many ones we send is kind of a factor of how many we want to recieve.  maybe ten is too many?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amyshrugged

ohhh...we could start over again

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2005 04:49:21 PM »

that's an interesting option too... might be more affordable for those of us who suck at sewing undies.  Sad  I really want to get better!!  the ones I made are comfy, but not up to par with what I'd want to send someone else.  Maybe I should just practice.  Ten pairs would be a lot of practice, haha..

how many have signed up so far?

---eta---just realized this thread is "The Amazing *Kicker* Swap... maybe that's a sign that we should get our butts in gear and sign up.   Smiley
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005 04:52:12 PM by amyshrugged » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now accepting orders for custom handmade books.. treat yourself to a new handbound journal or sketchbook! 
PM me for details.

etsy shop coming soon!
redpopsicles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2005 09:12:06 PM »

I understand the resistance to buying stuff that isn't "safe," but is there anyone who is truly offended by it?  If not, we can try to do our best to buy the good stuff, but we might have to resort to other stuff.  If I'm not making any sense, I apologize.  What I'm trying to say is, can't we just do our best to buy worker friendly products, but if we can't for our various reasons, can we just go with what we can afford?
Also, I'm confused as to how the swap will run.  I guess that hasn't been decided yet?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amyshrugged

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2005 08:46:29 AM »

I think that was exactly the plan, redpopsicles:

I'd love to complete this swap without buying sweatshop panties.  If you don't sew, though, don't worry - you can go ahead and buy them.  This swap is open to both methods.  If you can, try to find some that are made in a conscientious fashion - check out http://www.americanapparelstore.com as an example.  They are pretty pricey, though - and don't think i'm down on you if you buy normal ones.  i buy normal clothes all the time.  I just love the craftster revolution in the way it neatly sidesteps this issue, and want to encourage you guys!  Thinking globally, acting, well, sometimes.

I guess I'm just interested in finding a way to make it work for me personally... certainly it's an ideal, but I also think it's within our reach, or at least within my own reach.. that's what the discussion was about.

As to how the swap will run, I actually don't know.. but since sign-ups are low (if any?), rachelyra seems to be very open to suggestions and modifications.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now accepting orders for custom handmade books.. treat yourself to a new handbound journal or sketchbook! 
PM me for details.

etsy shop coming soon!
redpopsicles

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2005 10:38:12 AM »

Sounds good to me!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rachelyra
Medium Reality

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2005 09:30:26 AM »

I haven't decided how the swap will run yet.  it kind of depends on how many people sign up.  Do you have some specific ideas?

Too bad nobody has signed up yet.  Maybe I'll extend the deadline.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redpopsicles

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2005 10:59:35 AM »

I like the round robin idea, where you would send to everyone.  Or, if there are a lot of people, you could break it up into circle, where small groups would do a round robin.  You could also just do parnters and request that each partner send each other a set number of knicker (maybe 7 for each day of the week).  I don't know, those are a couple of ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bag_lady
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2005 11:22:09 AM »

I like the small group round robin idea.  that way there's not as much pressure, but you still get a few pairs.  i also think we should definately have the choice of buying and decorating or making the knickers.  i've only made a pair for myself without much luck. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amyshrugged

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2005 11:26:18 AM »

I like both those suggestions as well.  By the way, I love this swap idea and am on the verge of committing to it, but I have a week-long conference coming up, so I need to make sure I have the time to do it first. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PM me for details.

etsy shop coming soon!
rachelyra
Medium Reality

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2005 12:47:11 PM »

I was definitely thinking that each person would send to multiple other people - that way, we will all have such a lovely wide variety!  Also, if some particular tyle or pattern didn't fit you very well, you wouldn't be stuck with a million of them.

i'm also thinking that seven is definitely a better cap than ten.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Handprint American Flag
Combination of Color Dyes Produce Unusual Milk Art
Easy DIY Decorations For Your 4th of July Celebration
Pretty Savvy: Luxe Headband
How to Make Sharpie Tie-Dye T-Shirts
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Solar Light Garden Mushroom
Artsy Garden
Meatless Monday: Falafel without Frying

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...