A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,382
Currently Running With Scissors:
676 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: REALLY COOL Scrabble bracelets  (Read 2817 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

redrose1028
Leanne

ciao~hola~salut~hello~

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2005 06:00:25 PM »

this is to inspire some crafsters:

my french teacher had this really cool bracelet that was made from scrabble tiles, where someone drilled little holes in the sides, and then used wire or string or something like that and strung it through. my teachers bracelet spelled out bonjour

i thought some ppl might want to make it and if u do make it please post it b/c i want to see how it comes out

if i make it (soon hopefully) i will try to post it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`'.(`'.**.').')
`..*Leanne*..`
(.'(.'**`'.)`'.)
Ayn
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005 09:21:29 AM »

Hi Redrose1028 -- love that idea!

Have you ever seen domino bracelets, or Mah Jong tile bracelets? 
They're strung pretty much the same way, usually on stretch cord, either by themselves  or with beads added in between the tiles.  They've been trendy or popular on&off periodically for quite a few decades (in fact I happen to still have one of each) -- particularly if the dominoes or the mah jong tiles are old or vintage.  Or, well, if the maker 'claims' they're old or vintage, but who really knows ...  I mean, *I'm* certainly no expert on antique game tiles, lol.

Of course neither of those game tiles have the alphabet, but truly-older dominoes -- which were seldom made of any type plastic as so many are today --  can be a really lovely cream-to-light-tan & soft-black combo, instead of the usual dead-white/hard-black.

And mah jong tiles can be extremely interesting, pretty, & colorful, with Asian style drawings & sometimes Asian writing too. Also, many dominoes or mah jong tiles are MUUUUCH bigger than Scrabble tiles -- great for anyone who likes a bracelet with 'A LOT' of visibility!

If you've never seen bracelets made from these larger tiles, try a websearch for domino bracelets & then for mah jong bracelets ... or mahjong bracelets ... or mahjongg bracelets (with two g's).  There may be  even more spellings or forms of that word but alas I have no idea which is correct.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2005 08:35:30 AM by Ayn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
redrose1028
Leanne

ciao~hola~salut~hello~

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2005 03:39:18 PM »

hi ayn!
thanks 4 ur reply.  i just have one question- What are Mah Jong tiles and where can u get them b/c they sound really cool!

the domino bracelets sound cool but i think it would be hard for me to wear without making noise. and the only dominos i kno are like ceramic............ ...........
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`'.(`'.**.').')
`..*Leanne*..`
(.'(.'**`'.)`'.)
Ayn
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2005 06:39:39 AM »

Hi again redrose1028...

Ceramic dominoes?? wow that's a new one on me. Sounds as if that would be reeeally tough to make holes for stringing, doesn't it.

Of course, I'm pretty sure it isn't exactly a snap to drill stringing holes straight through the edges of  ANY game thingies, old or new, unless maybe wood ones like Scrabble tiles.  In regard to drilling, I guess the only advantage other tiles (particularly older ones) might possibly have over Scrabble tiles is that they might be larger & thicker.

I'd hazard a guess that something like a drill press -- a true diy-workshop tool - was needed to make the stringing holes for the domino & mj tile bracelets I have. 
Btw I certainly didn't make my bracs, I purchased them pre-made.  Went & dug them out the other day, might as well wear them since wide cuffs & other big bracs are trendy again now.
The domino tiles & mj tiles really do seem quite old (if not technically-vintage or 'actually-antique') & I'd forgotten how large, interesting, and ... wellll... *totally eye-riveting* they are on the arm, lol.

>> Maybe an easier thing to do if you had just 1 fairly-large type of game tile would be to make a simple pendant, though.

For example, you could 'cage' it or 'frame' it by wire-wrapping, & finish off with the usual simple or wrapped loop on top to add cord/suede/leather/ribbon/chain/etc ...
or, securely glue on a pendant finding, which has a solid metal back for gluing to the back of anything plus an open ring that sticks up on the top, through which you can add a jumpring for stringing.

With smaller tiles, such as Scrabble, pendant findings could probably also be used to make bracelet charms (& of course they could actually spell out something if you wanted).     

>> As for where to find any type of game tiles or game pieces, either old or new, that might be suitable for jewelry --
I'd guess maybe yard sales, junque/vintage type shops, local auctions, game/toy stores?
and of course both websearching & ebay might be good possibilities.

>> As for what Maj Jong tiles ARE ... didn't you try a simple Google or other search...?!
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22mah+jong%22+bracelet&btnG=Search
[[Besides mj tiles, eclectic-elements.com also has stretch bracs made from dominoes & other game thingies -- and at one time they even had a charm brac made with those old round plastic bingo number coverers used by bingo players before the fat magic-marker type "daubers" of today.]]

>> OOPS ... EDITED to add this:

My bracelets -- and actually I discovered I have 3, not 2: 1 Maj Jong & 2 different dominoes -- make absolutely no 'noise' at all.  Also, considering their size, they're amazingly comfy to wear & surprisingly almost weightless.
The pieces are double-drilled & strung on some sort of stretch cord (black) with 1 bead at the top hole, 1 at the bottom hole between each piece.
Online you'll see that's pretty much the usual way game piece bracs are done.
For one thing, the beads help make the bracelets a more comfy size for a larger wrist, if needed -- for example, one could even add "4" beads, "2" apiece top & bottom, for someone with a quite-large size wrist.
 For another thing, if chosen to complement the tile colors properly, the beads are a pretty decorative element -- and, they help hide that black stretch cord.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2005 06:58:22 AM by Ayn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
slb2724
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005 09:25:32 AM »

ive actually seen at michaels and at target that there are scrabble pieces already drilled in the bead isle
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.beadsnthings.etsy.com

"I've ot a jar of dirt! And guess whats inside it!"-Jack Sparrow
Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005 02:38:47 PM »

awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 27, 2010 <3
redrose1028
Leanne

ciao~hola~salut~hello~

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2005 05:10:45 PM »

oh that's cool.............i actually just got a old scrabble game at a church rummage sale for 50 cents! yea for rummage sales! i never knew target/michaels had them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`'.(`'.**.').')
`..*Leanne*..`
(.'(.'**`'.)`'.)
sophi
sophi, wtf.

arbolus carnivorus

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005 05:21:09 PM »

the scrabble bracelet sounds like a terrific present for my sister who is a complete scrabble addict (actually my entire family is.)

but i was thinking "OH MY GOD I AM NOT DESTROYING SCRABBLE TILES."

so this whole bead business is most excellent. how much would you say they cost?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ninja_monkey

cake or death ?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005 10:58:24 AM »

hey if you want to buy srabble tiles, mah jong tiles, dominoes etc www.skybluepink.com is a good place to get them they have a whole range of puzzle pieces, counters etc for low prices aimed at srapbookers i think but cool for everyone.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Keepin It Kitsch
nyourdrms
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2005 07:53:48 PM »

I recently saw small replicas of scrable tiles at Walmart to use in scrapbooking. They're just like the real thing, only smaller. I was thinking they would be prefect for bracelets. Now I just have to talk my hubbie into drilling the holes in them.  Wink

T
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top 4 Fall Looks That Transition Day to Night
The Best Holiday Gift Ideas for Mom
Spring Trend Report: Loafers
Spring Trend Report: Styling Denim Jackets
Spring Trend Report: Camo Whammo
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...