A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,109
Currently Running With Scissors:
597 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: futon mattress?  (Read 1290 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dee521

bear paws make me happy

View Profile
« on: September 30, 2005 11:51:01 AM »

we bought a futon a year ago and the mattress is so thin i can feel the wood when i sit on it....so i want to get a new mattress but they're so stinkin' expensive. i was thinking of just getting those foam mattress pads and sandwiching the old mattress then just sewing together a new cover for it. would that work? or would i just be making a big fire hazard? any other suggestions? we don't sleep on it much, just want to cushion my tush while i watch csi  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kewlchik
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005 06:16:17 AM »

It might work well as a mattress, but folding it to futon position might create some problems, and it might not hold the shape.You could use pillows to sit on, maybe? I will try to look up some other sites and see what I can come up with.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kmsmaverick
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005 09:12:54 AM »

i have a futon, too. here's what i din, though it might require some investment.

i got one of those egg crate things- you know the sort we all took one to college. then i pinned it on wth a couple of saftey pins directly to the mattress. you could also use a few quick stitches to accomplish this.

then i purchased a futon cover from wal-mart (no actually, my mom did as a housewarming gift) and i put the cover right over the mattress and egg crate. it really improves the futo quite a lot.

of course if you've already got a cover you don't need a new one. as for using sheets to make a new cover. i've considered it, but it just seems a bigger p.i.a. than it's reward.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crappiefisher
Crappiefisher

I just LOVE craftster!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005 01:39:54 PM »

WOW! that's an issue that i'm dealing with right now. i was thinking of using the egg crate foam. thanks for the info...even though i wasn't the one that asked!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Don't you let nobody tell you that you can't do nothin. You can do whatevah you put your mind to!" - wise words from my Granny when I was 5 years old.
dee521

bear paws make me happy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005 06:35:27 AM »

thanks all, i think i will do the eggcrate thing also. i was at joann's awhile back and they had large pieces of foam, seemed like it might be a little more firm also....plus supposedly fire retardant unlike the egg crates, so maybe the same concept would work for that....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twinmama
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2005 07:08:18 AM »

We, too, suffer from thin futon mattress syndrome...  We managed to alleviate most of the bar in the tush problme by purchasing and cutting pieces of that thin wood-like product pegboard (you know, the stuff that hangs in most workshops with tools hanging from it) is made from.  We put a piece under each side so when people do sleep on it, they don't wake up with grill marks up and down their bodies.  Hasn't helped the thin mattress but it became much more livable once the bars couldn't be felt.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kmsmaverick
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005 07:23:47 AM »

hey, that is a good idea. makes it into almost a platform bed.

mine became more tolerable with the egg crate, but not so comfy that my then 5 yo nephew was satisfied. "um auntie? your couch isn't really very comfortable." he informed me when he visited my place for the first time. it still makes me giggle.

i also put a collection of quilts and electric comforters on the bench part, and this helps a bit too. of course the electric comforter people specifically say don't use it this way, but lets face it, we live on the edge, and the heat bills this winter are going to be hair rasing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Art of Ebru
The Art of Turkish Calligraphy
The Art of Recycled African Culture Puppets
Learn about Recycled Art and Beadworks
The Art of Recycled Materials
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Marinara Sauce
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...