A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 300,935
Currently Running With Scissors:
646 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anyone know about any craft fairs upcoming in Saint John, NB?  (Read 6277 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

giggleycraft
I'm normal.... it's the rest of the world that's insane.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: September 30, 2005 05:29:20 AM »

I'm am getting to have quite a large stock of my jewelry, although I am getting some sales from my website, and from my grandmother selling my stuff at BINGO, I would really like to do a fair.  I've tried the flea market, but I find people are just looking for second hand junk there, and not wiling to pay the cash for handmade items.  So does anyone know of any upcoming events?  You can see my stuff on my websit to get an idea of what I sell.   
http://giggleycraft.tripod.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SparroWinter
Androgynous scarf-knitter

Always twirling twirling twirling towards freedom.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005 07:01:56 AM »

The only craft fair I know of is in Moncton, next summer. I plan to attend, if I can get the money, but I don't know how much it costs to actually sell your stuff there.

I've seen, once or twice, vendor stalls along the streets uptown, sometimes selling handmade stuff, but they seem to be sporadic, so I have no idea if they're doing one again in the coming year. I don't think they did one this year, but I may just be forgetting it if they did.

You could probably contact City Hall to find out if anything like that is planned. If it isn't, suggest that they plan it. I know some of the stuff at Rhoda's flea market (at least last time I went there) is handmade, like the woodcarvings and stuff, so I'm sure there's a market for it. It may be a small one, but anything's better than nothing.

Perhaps, if you have the money, you could always rent one of them empty places in City Market, too. I saw a yarn stall up there for a day, and I know someone was there a little while ago, selling handmade jewellery. It might be pricy, though . . . >_<
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Projects in Progress - Branching Out scarf
 - Numerous knitted blanket squares

Just Finished - Midnight scarf
 - Falliage scarf
 - Basketweave Baby Blanket
giggleycraft

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005 07:59:37 AM »

Do you know when the show in moncton will be, and any contact info?

As for setting up uptown, usually there are a few people set up when cruise ships come in, at some point in the summer, but I work so it's hard to get a specific day through the week, I'm usually free on sundays, and quite often on Saturdays.  The market would be great, but again I work so I couldn't be there every day.  Rhoda's is good for wooden stuff because people know it will be there and go for that purpose, but jewelry and tie dye stuff people aren't terribly interested in, I've gone a few times, and it really wasn't worth my time, I might have mad $20 after paying for the table, and I sat there from 8-3.  Thanks for the suggestions though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SparroWinter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005 10:02:36 AM »

The only thing I can find is this past year's info: http://www.xs-and-ohs.com/CNSS/index.html

I'd imagine that once next year comes around, they'll update it with better info.

I planned to sell a lot of my stuff at Rhoda's. I'd start around October or November next year, once I've had time to build up stock, and it'll be getting closer to Christmas, so people might be more into knitted stuff then, for gifts. I'd probably only end up going once a month, to minimize my losses.

I've checked out your online store, and am impressed by the quality of the stuff that you've made. Does it sell well online, out of curiosity? I've been contemplating setting up my own online store, but since I don't exactly make any real specialty items, I'm wondering if any of it would even sell.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Falliage scarf
giggleycraft

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005 10:23:32 AM »

I haven't done a lot of advertizing yet, I more or less set up the site so that people I know can see what I'm doing, and so that when I do a show or go to the flea market, I can give out a card with the website and people can keep in touch to buy more stuff.  So far I haven't sold a lot off the website directly, but I get a lot of orders from people that play bingo with my grandmother, she takes some of my stuff with her, a binder of pics and a bunch of my business cards.  I think I'll post it again on the e-bulletin board at work, I usually get a ton of hits after that.  Thanks for the compliments on the stuff too.

One tip with Rhodas, it's best right after the 1st or the 20th....Welfare and Child Tax Benefit days, that's when people in this city have money.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SparroWinter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2005 07:58:49 AM »

Oh, I found out last night that the Atlantic Bapstist College in Moncton is holding a craft fair in November, though in all likelyhood, you need to be part of the college to participate and sell stuff. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Falliage scarf
giggleycraft

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2005 03:42:04 AM »

I think I'm going to give Rhoda's another go soon, there seems to be more handcrafted things there the last few weeks, so people looking for that type of stuff will be going now.  Probably not till Novemer though; October's pretty filled up for me with work and Halloween is coming.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SparroWinter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2005 05:45:59 AM »

If I'm not working that Sunday, I might drop by and say hello, if I can find you. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Falliage scarf
scarletkittycat
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005 03:35:03 PM »

Its a bit of a trip from Saint John but the IODE annual Arts and Craft Fair is coming up here in Bathurst, its at the highschool on october 23rd. I've shared a table with my mother in law for the past couple of years its always fun, unfortunatly i can't take part this year though ( damn work Angry)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
giggleycraft

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005 03:39:32 PM »

Thanks, I work that day too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Formal Symmetry
How to Tell a Story Through a Photograph
How to Use a Slow Shutter Speed to Create Leading Light
How to Photograph with Storm Lighting
How to Create Beauty Lighting
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...