A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
697 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: THE BIG WINTER HOLIDAY GIFT THREAD!!!!  (Read 54989 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rocknroll

I've been away, but now I'm back!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: November 19, 2005 08:52:20 AM »

ilovepineapple: thanks for the great suggestion! I don't think I have time to order the book journal but I can just make my own version of it - i was thinking more like index cards so she can file what she thought of each book....oh and i've decided to decorated the mesh metal box with fridge poetry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sarahimpossible
« Reply #61 on: November 19, 2005 06:43:30 PM »

wow, it's been so long since I actually logged in and posted something here that my username no longer existed. dang. I'm too much of a lurker I guess!

Anyway, I'm wanting to make my husband a remote control holder -- the kind that goes over the couch arm since we don't have a coffee table to put a wooden type holder on. Does anyone have any tips on this? Do I need to weight one end, or just make it long enough to tuck into the couch between the side and the cushion?  Also, I'm going to make a seperate pocket for each of the three remotes, but what else could be included? Just a misc. pocket at the bottom for whatever? I would include the TV guide, but we don't use it really since we mostly watch dvds. He loses the remotes ALL the time, so this will be a good stocking stufer. In fact, just tonight he couldn't find the remote and finally called me in to help. I found it in about two minutes, and within the next two he managed to lose it AGAIN. Ridiculous.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
credible1

Paradise lies within

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 19, 2005 07:11:20 PM »

Anyway, I'm wanting to make my husband a remote control holder -- the kind that goes over the couch arm since we don't have a coffee table to put a wooden type holder on. Does anyone have any tips on this? Do I need to weight one end, or just make it long enough to tuck into the couch between the side and the cushion?  Also, I'm going to make a seperate pocket for each of the three remotes, but what else could be included? Just a misc. pocket at the bottom for whatever? I would include the TV guide, but we don't use it really since we mostly watch dvds. He loses the remotes ALL the time, so this will be a good stocking stufer. In fact, just tonight he couldn't find the remote and finally called me in to help. I found it in about two minutes, and within the next two he managed to lose it AGAIN. Ridiculous.  Grin

OOh.. I was just thinking of making one of these today, as my aunt & uncle just purchased a new DVD player & TV.  I figure between those and the stereo, they're probably having a difficult time managing all the remotes!

I have a remote holder for the sofa (Ikea, not handmade) with three pockets plus a TV Guide/Magazine loop thing.  I agree - I could do without the magazine holder.  What I do wish it had was a pen loop of some sort, since I can never find a pen while I'm in the living room.  Ours is weighted, but I don't think its necessary, depending on the type of sofa you have.  A dowel would have done nicely; the cushions on our sofa are very close to the arms, so it's a snug fit.  Besides, I think the combined remotes weigh more than the weight!  A magazine pocket behind the remotes might be nice, if only to stash items out of the way (scratch pad, computer magazines, the Maxim magazine that my boyfriend doesn't want anyone to know he reads). 

Good luck with your project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
surfergal
« Reply #63 on: November 19, 2005 08:45:35 PM »

We drew names for the holidays this year. Not my favorite.... :(But anyway....I got my brother-in-law. Any ideas what to make for him? He's into fantasy (particularly mermaids), he's married, he's in dental school, he loves to make movies, loved LOTR, loved apple pie and cream of wheat, very smart, lives in Philly, he's 26, walks a lot, just finished Army bootcamp, plays the keyboard, creative type, loves pirates, just got a new digital camera and video camera, is tight on money.....that's all I can think of. He's a super cool guy! I'd love to think of something awsome for him.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=63689.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goodstuffs46
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2005 09:18:56 PM »

Food gifts are typically crowd-pleasers and are usually fairly inexpensive to make.  I just found a bunch of easy, no-bake recipes on The Container Store website--hooray!  Here's the link: http://www.containerstore.com/browse/recipes.jhtml  Enjoy! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ilovepineapple

Its a girl thang

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2005 01:34:57 PM »

ilovepineapple: thanks for the great suggestion! I don't think I have time to order the book journal but I can just make my own version of it - i was thinking more like index cards so she can file what she thought of each book....oh and i've decided to decorated the mesh metal box with fridge poetry.

No problem! And thats better that you are making it because it is more personal.Good Luck!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005 01:48:32 PM by ilovepineapple » THIS ROCKS   Logged
LuckyLally
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2005 08:28:29 AM »

I wanted to make something cozy for my boyfriend who lives 3 hours away.(this picture is from PBteen) I think this blanket is warm yet more "manly" than a regular fleece one. Ill probably embroider our names in the side somewhere (LALLY+ZACH)

now I have a question of ethics...I made this same blanket for an ex when I was still in Highschool and he was going to college.....obvious ly we broke up...do you think this blanket has bad craft karma?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2005 08:31:26 AM by LuckyLally » THIS ROCKS   Logged
iampoison
Tutorial Contributor

Just a jersey girl without the acid wash.

"I believe you are in league with the butcher..."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2005 08:57:10 AM »

No, I don't think that it has "bad craft karma" at all, you made the blanket with him in mind, I think the only way it would have bad karma would be if it were the same blanket you had made before. Then you would have made it with the previous guy inmind, sorta  like a guy giving you a ring he intended to give to his ex-girlfriend. Seeing how you made it for this new guy, with him in mind, i think it is safe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just got flaked on for personal swaps so I am taking a break. ^_^; sorry everyone.
my shop: http://poisonandantidote.etsy.com/
eBay ID: rusty_buttons
My DA: http://chat-noir.deviantart.com/
My LJ: http://apatheticpoison.livejournal.com/
My wists: http://www.wists.com/iampoison
beatnik_chik
Lightly Effervescent

Helpless!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2005 08:58:18 AM »

OH MY GOD!  That is the most faboo blanket ever!  I WANT ONE!
I'd say it would only have craft karma if you don't tell him that it wasn't originally for him.
That would suck to findout on accident!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<{{{><
And like a downward smoke, the slender stream
Along the cliff to fall and pause and fall did seem.
yarncookie
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2005 09:33:37 AM »

this christms my mom is making a ox of all the fams fave recipes and givng itt to all the newly weds in the family.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look at me, I'm on TV, it makes up for the shortcomings of being poor. Now I'm in a million pieces picked up for deliberation by the people listening at home, by the people watching on the telly...
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 26 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jon Kolko on How Design Careers Are Changing
Jon Kolko on How Testing Improves Design Programs
Jon Kolko on Career Advice For Young Designers
What Gets Easier and What Gets Harder
What It Means to Be a Strategist
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...