A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,081
Currently Running With Scissors:
431 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what am i doing wrong?  (Read 636 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jershyLA
« on: September 29, 2005 02:09:48 PM »

Well to begin i have no camera to show my problem which probally would help.   Sad i did my first " jordy bags" this weekend. they came out almost good. (one a bit big like a diaper bag). my first problem is how do i make the bag have form. I used iron  in interfacing and it seemed to make the bag puffy, not solid with structure. also i have made 2 bags and both times the inner lineing is inside out. i tried pinning the linening 2 different ways, i even flipped inside out the second time ,but i still got the same results. what am i doing wrong? so if anyone has suggestion i would luv to read.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlueJeanBaby

Hello, lover!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005 03:46:43 PM »

What kind of interfacing did you use? I have never heard of it making bags 'puffy'.

As for the lining, I do mine differently than the Jordy tut says and it still comes out the same. I sew up the inside and outside. Then I fold the tops of both of them in about a half inch and iron it to make it stay better. Then I set the lining inside of the outside and pin it together. (I add straps now as well) Then sew it up, removing the pins as you go! (I hope that made sense. I have never tried the real way, I just think this is way easy.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jershyLA
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005 04:06:32 PM »

I don't know what kind of interfacing i am using. i just iron it to the lining that would be on theoutside. i figured it was the piece i was trying to get sturdy. this was my first time using interface and making purses. i will try your way with the lining. i thought it was possible to sew first but i was afraid to follow my first mind Roll Eyes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EmilyFlew
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

..sweets4ever is so rad..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005 04:53:28 PM »

I think it works better to iron the interfacing to the inside of the outer fabric, rather than the lining. Or both, but at least the inside of the outer fabric. And some interfacing comes off in bubbly-areas when you turn it inside out...maybe try a different brand, or make sure it's really well ironed on?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

technocutie, handmade iPod cases and felt accoutrements
thoughts and days.

I <3 the mod squad ladies!
rhiandmoi
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005 05:04:04 PM »

If you aren't ironing the interfacing to the outside fabric before you cut your pattern try that. I think that really works to stiffen up and give shape because the seams are really thick.
When you pin your lining to the bag it should be right sides together. When you pin the lining into the bag you should have the seams on the outside.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlueJeanBaby

Hello, lover!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005 03:14:54 PM »

I think it works better to iron the interfacing to the inside of the outer fabric, rather than the lining. Or both, but at least the inside of the outer fabric.

Yes  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dyabolica

Gaze into my eyes and submit to my puppy dominion!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005 06:38:17 AM »

it depends on what weight of interfacing you use, me personally I prefer using a very thin batting, it gives the purse nice structure...this bag in this post was made with battin instead of interfacing...http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=49435.0
it will stand on its own, the trick with batting is eliminating bulk, that means trimming the batting from your seam allowances..if you dont want to use batting a good weight interfacing is pellon craft fuse or fast fuse...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

R.I.P Jon 7.15.07 I will never get over losing you!
End the war in Iraq, we have lost enough our
Fathers, Mothers, Sons and Daughters! I won't be on Craftster for a while, I am just not feeling creative.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a 4 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 2/3
How to Crochet a 5 Chain Ruffle Border
Preston Bailey with Marlo Thomas
The Importance Of Having A Mentor
How To Make A Space Look Bigger
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet
Laundry Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...