A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,037
Currently Running With Scissors:
523 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: preserving bugs  (Read 5028 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

iLoVeCaReBeArS
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2004 05:08:14 PM »

Travis...you are the first guy that I have met (well not met, but you know what I mean) that has actually CARED about bugs! All my friends think I am a freak for telling them not to kill spiders and stuff. We will get along just fine  Wink .

Killing_christa, definetly go with the relaxer fluid idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

boo
jenharned

* (jin)1. the girl. 2. a trap or snare

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2004 05:26:11 PM »

actually I dont know I want one for a pendant. I'm scared of spiders (well mostly they just creep me out eww) but I want to go against the norm and make one to wear. Face my icky fears lol

awesome. i got necklace for my younger sister that had a beetle in it and she was not at all pleased at first because she can't stand bugs, (honestly--for once!-- i was trying to be thoughtful because i got myself one and usually she likes my taste in jewelry, i completely forgot that she hated bugs). but then, about a week later, she called me to tell me that she felt like a headhunter and that she felt empowered by the necklace! totally cracked me up-- i hope it works for you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ph33lth3lov3

*when in doubt go duct*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2004 08:45:08 PM »

i would have to say freeze them. Just make sure you leave them there for a week or something.... i took mine out after a few hours and they came back to life. Also, taking a few bugs for your jewelry sounds awesome and won't really effect the insect population at all- they outnumber us 25 million to one!  Wink good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

let me see your gila
http://www.gilabuttons.com -your one stop button shop
dyabolica

Gaze into my eyes and submit to my puppy dominion!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2004 08:50:08 AM »

even so 25 million to one ,or not killing anything for the sake of wearing it isn't very nice, and anywho spiders are very beneficial insects. I mean after reading Charlottes Web as a kid who could do anything to a spider. plus they are are symbolic in a lot of cultures. Deposits her 2 cents.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

R.I.P Jon 7.15.07 I will never get over losing you!
End the war in Iraq, we have lost enough our
Fathers, Mothers, Sons and Daughters! I won't be on Craftster for a while, I am just not feeling creative.
ph33lth3lov3

*when in doubt go duct*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2004 09:23:02 PM »

i agree on that one- killing something just for the sake of wearing it isn't nice...  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

let me see your gila
http://www.gilabuttons.com -your one stop button shop
atomiqt
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2004 06:56:30 PM »

I am not quite sure if this has to do with a spider necklace but that last post made me think about snake skin pants... not that most of them are acutually MADE out of snake skin... but still... it is the same idea.  And ivory... poor elephants... Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abssinth
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2008 10:43:45 PM »

I bought a keychain with a unicorn beetle in it about a year ago.  I loved it - despite my distaste for insects.  I couldn't bear the thought that this beautiful peice would get ruined with the scratching and banging of being on my keys.  So I put it on a cord and wear it as a pendant.

I did some research on it and found the type, origin, history (in culture) and natural habitat of the beetle.  When I wear it, I find that it's a chance to educate people about the beetle!  Fortunately, the ones used by this particular company are found dead and "relaxed" for positioning.  While I don't care for bugs, I don't see the sense in killing for 'art'.

The beauty of it, however, has encouraged me to start casting my own peices.  I have yet to do so - I'm waiting for some pressed flowers to dry out and on the hunt for already-deceased bugs of my own!!  The one I'm looking forward to most is casting the shed shell of one of my fidler crabs!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Top Celebrity Jet-Set Styles
Kristen Bell Brings Menswear to the Red Carpet
Jessica Chastain Puts a Flamenco Twist on Her Red-Carpet LBD
How to Choose a Soft Cup Bra
How to Choose a Softly Padded Bra
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...