A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,746
Currently Running With Scissors:
569 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Artistic-y jobs, anyone?  (Read 1859 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Spoongirl
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2005 02:44:12 PM »

Oooh, thank you so much for putting so much effort into the replies. I really appreciate it. And I suppose your guidence will probably help others as well as me. So, yey! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ayisha

my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2005 07:22:04 AM »

I'm trying to figure this out too, but I figured I'd throw my two cents in Smiley  Note that I've got no degree tho, just several incompleted years as a fine arts major...

I worked for a while at a production company, that did work for retail stores.  There was a department that painted huge murals, a department that did digital work, a department that did faux finishing (that's me), etc.  It sounded like a dream when I was hired, but after a while it became apparent that it was very, um, sweatshoppy. Smiley  That being said, it looks great on a resume, I may not have gotten the experience I thought that I would but I still learned a lot.  And most importantly, I made tons of friends there and met people who all made art on their off time and had similar goals as me, and it's great to have a circle of people like that to look to both for inspiration and a cheer squad (why can't I think of a better phrase than "cheer squad"...).  AKA - "networking"  Lips sealed

I've also worked at a theater research library, it wasn't a terribly artsy job but libraries and museums are always a good place to go.  I tend to look for the non-standard creative jobs anymore... in college (and still, really) my dream was to work for the Jim Henson Company, making puppets and props.  There's a costume company in my city that makes really great stuff, I applied there too but no luck. Cheesy  Trader Joe's (delicious groceries) is a great company to work for and they hire sign painters for their stores.  Right now I work at a huge antique mall - there's a bit of art and creativity there, too.  If you're not someone who loves office work, but loves to learn about, talk about, and handle artwork, you could be an art dealer vs. working specifically at a museum or library.  There's art preservation, too.  If you're in school, there's always art supply stores, galleries and museums of various sizes, creatively-minded shops, and production studios that you can try to get a little part-time job at while you're there for some good experience and great contacts.  Or, make things and sell them online!  Your own successful business would be the most rewarding.  And what I hope I can do someday.  Because I don't want to go back to school.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

etsy shop = http://ayisha.etsy.com/  . . .  ebay id = ayishaj  . . .  LJ = http://ayishaj.livejournal.com/
lissalush
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2005 11:15:31 PM »

I have a different sort of artsy job- I'm a landscape designer.

I'm 31 now, and I have been in the field since I was 16. I started out being an assistant to the other designers, just inking, coloring, and labelling landscape designs.

I went off to college under the guise of getting an teaching degree, but planned to switch to majoring in art once I got my parents off my back. I didn't even get that far- I missed my job, thought long and hard about my options, and came back home, went to school for horticulture, and have pretty much stuck with that ever since.

The thing I like best about landscape design is that it combines art with nature. I hand render all of my designs, so I get to get somewhat artsy with it, but since rendering other's designs is what I did for 10 years, it's not as exciting now.

And now, what I really want to do is be a full time professional artist/crafter. I work very part time with a landscape company right now. I have my office set up at home so I can work on designs at 3 am if I want to. Depending on where you live, it's also a very seasonal job, but it works out great for crafting since I have Christmas time free for craft shows, and I also have weekends off for fairs in the summer. Actually, I totally make my own schedule.

I could go on for hours and hours about my job, schooling, the plants I like to use, projects I've done, etc...but I won't do that here! If you want to know more though, I'd love to help you (or anyone else) out. I take a lot of pride in being able to drive past places I have designed and see them thriving (or not thriving!) years later, and seeing how they change, it's very fulfilling.

What's NOT good about my job is that I hate it when someone wants to rip up something that's fine as it is just to keep up with the neighbors. Sometimes the customer wants to do things to their property that make me ashamed! My ideal customer is one who wants to add color to attract wildlife, or in some way enhance what they have. Luckily, I get a lot of that. I also have major issues with sprawl, and my environmental ethics have started getting in the way of my job enough to the point that I just won't do that type of thing anymore.

See, look how I continue to go on. Smiley

In  closing, I just want to say that if something like this appeals to you, also look into landscape architecture. That's more of a city planning/commercial type of thing, and requires much more schooling than I had. Different companies specialize in different things, so if you wanted to be more of an environmental artist you could do that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Panik
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2006 04:00:35 AM »

batgirl, I just wanted to say your first post was very inspiring and informative. it's made me really excited for some reason, thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2006 06:32:52 AM »

Aww, thanks! I just figured it took me so long to get my act together that I might be able to spare someone else some of the "exploring"!  Cheesy As a sidenote, I recently moved to a new city and I'm trying to figure out how to meet people (I work in a tiny department and have "outgrown" the bar scene, don't go to church...) so I just took a part time job as a museum security guard! Apparently a lot of local artists, musicians, writers, etc work there so I am looking forward to new friends and connections. The extra money won't hurt either!  Wink
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006 06:38:29 AM by batgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sort and Rotate Images in Adobe Bridge CS3
How to Use Bridge Slideshow in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Analyze and Group Images in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Build Your Own Bridge in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Enable Color Management in Adobe Bridge CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...