A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,388
Currently Running With Scissors:
729 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Oh for the love of pinking shears or to pink is divine!  (Read 1056 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kellebelle

Second rule is, be nice to mommies!

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2005 08:41:41 AM »

I finally bought a pair of pinking shears.  I don't know why it took me so long.  I didn't realize how empty and sad my sewing supplies were until now!  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them!  Their size and weight in my hand.  The cute little zig-zag pattern they leave on the fabric.  I finally feel like I've arrived!  In a sewing kind of way, I mean.  Every time I sew now, I have to do a little pinking.

Did you know:

Webster's Collegiate Dictionary says that the term "pinking shears" was first noted ca. 1939. Pinking shears got their name from the verb " to pink" (origin 1598) - meaning to cut a saw-toothed edge on.

Also, I picked this up verbatim on the www.  Is it all true? I don't know.  Is it interesting? I, personally, think so.  Do you care?  Maybe not.  But as my 12-year-old son has been saying for about 2 years now, his mother is a dork.  (Just for the record, there was a time when he thougt I knew everything and anything...  Now, I think he finds it embarrassing that I know more about punk rock than he does.)

"You might be surprised to hear that using the word "pink" to mean a light red colour is the newest meaning of the word. Pink is the common name for the flower dianthus, a relative of the carnation. It was considered to be a perfect flower, so expressions like "in the pink" really mean you're as perfect as a dianthus, not that you're pink in colour. One common colour of this flower is light red, so the colour pink was named after the flower.

The flower is named after the serrated edges of its petals. The verb "pink" means to cut a serrated edge, or to cut a decorative serration. If you sew, then you might have pinking shears on hand that cut a zig-zag edge to keep fabrics from unravelling. To review, the verb "pinking" led to calling a flower a pink, which in turn named the colour pink and also became synonymous with perfection."

Thanks for listening.  I'd try to explain it to my husband but he'd probably just look at me and shake his head...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
bugink
bUg INk

they might be frying up a stalk of wheat...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005 08:46:28 AM »

thank you thank you...I totally appriciate your breif history of the word pink...I had no idea.  I LOVE this sort of information!

Congrats on your new pinking shears!  I have a really old black pair that weigh a million pounds and make my wrists ache when I use them, but they are old and cool and have such a long beautiful history I cannot put them out to pasture yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sammyb

Mmm... Bowie...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005 08:50:32 AM »

I may just be stupid here, but are there other uses for pinking shears than decorative?

I love them, and I really want a pair (although I can't justify spending money on them when I have perfectly good fabric scissors that weren't cheapie ones!).

Maybe someone can sway my thinking so I'll just NEED them?  Anyone?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every time Olive Oyl flails her noodle-like arms in the air and cries for Popeye's help, a feminist angel gets her wings ripped off her back.  (courtesy of mental_floss.)
loves2experiment
Swap Moderator
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Irreverent. Indomitable. Incorrigible.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005 08:53:10 AM »

Wow...that's a lot of information...and it's all good Smiley  I bought a new pair of pinking shears last week.  After moving to my new place, I couldn't find my old pair.  Perhaps it decided it had enough and went off to seek greener pastures Sad 
kellebelle, thanks for the explanation.  I'm always interested in the origins of words and I don't think you're a dork Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...loves to experiment...not a monogamous crafter...

STS Spring Market 2014
amyshrugged

ohhh...we could start over again

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005 08:53:54 AM »

thanks for the crafty etymology!  I think knowing the history of the language behind everyday objects makes them so much more interesting.  Dorks unite!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now accepting orders for custom handmade books.. treat yourself to a new handbound journal or sketchbook! 
PM me for details.

etsy shop coming soon!
LRS
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005 08:57:38 AM »

Pinking shears are a very practical, useful tool.  When you're sewing, you can pink the edges of a seam and it will help prevent fraying.  It's excellent for loosely woven fabric that tends to fall apart.  Any half way serious sewist whho doesn't have a serger really needs pinking shears.  

So now you have an excuse for buying them.

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy. com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.co m
sammyb

Mmm... Bowie...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005 08:59:33 AM »

Pinking shears are a very practical, useful tool.  When you're sewing, you can pink the edges of a seam and it will help prevent fraying.  It's excellent for loosely woven fabric that tends to fall apart.  Any half way serious sewist whho doesn't have a serger really needs pinking shears.  

So now you have an excuse for buying them.

LRS

That's all I needed... and now I have something to print out and show hubby so he can't get mad.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every time Olive Oyl flails her noodle-like arms in the air and cries for Popeye's help, a feminist angel gets her wings ripped off her back.  (courtesy of mental_floss.)
kellebelle

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005 09:19:49 AM »

Yay! 

Oh, and I haven't actually used them for decorative purposes.  I've been using them to trim my seam allowances.  It's funny, I've been sewing badly for 25 years.  But something about that zig-zag edge makes me sit up little straighter, take more care when measuring and just try a little harder.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlueJeanBaby

Hello, lover!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005 03:22:20 PM »

I know that as a sewer, I should love using pinking shears.

I HATE them! I don't know why...I don't know if it's b/c it's harder to make a straight cut with them or if it's the zig-zag that it cuts. I don't know, I just hate using them.  Huh
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005 03:25:57 PM by BlueJeanBaby » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kellebelle

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005 04:10:24 PM »

BlueJeanBaby, that is so funny!  Isn't it weird how everyone can have such a different take on something?  Oh well, I guess everyone can't share my new found passion for pinking.  That's what makes the world go round!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Michael Ian Black and Michael Showalter Talk About Chicken Cheeks
Susanna Clark Talks About A House in Fez
Jimmy Gownley Talks About Amelia Rules
Andrew Griffiths Talks About Me Myth
Carin Rubenstein Reveals Her Biggest Pet Peeve
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...