A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,752
Currently Running With Scissors:
595 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: More than a cuppa joe  (Read 3487 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

patriautism
« on: September 28, 2005 05:13:07 PM »

I need coffee to function. I drink it all day everyday and I like to spice it up now and then. Today I threw a splash of vanilla in the water and a dash of cinnamon in the grounds and it came out great. What do you all do to soup up your coffee?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Sundance Kid
85 yr old granny in a tasty college girl body

This girl is crafty like ice is cold!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005 07:43:06 PM »

My freshman year I have many a meal comprised of coffee mixed with ice cream. MANY a meal. I don't know how I gained 14 lbs. . . Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://spaces.msn.com/members/meanlittlebird/
--My msn space. blog. bitchfest. thing.
johnuxb5
knitpunki

Head of John the Baptist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005 07:55:43 PM »

hey there -
One of the nicest things I've tried... slice a bit of lemon peel directly over the cup and let the bit of rind drop in... the lemon oil will rest on the top and give it a great fragrance and taste too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

John's Knitting Blog: www.knitpunki.com
Painting: www.johnbiebel.com
Music: www.ichigatsu.com
forknspoon
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005 08:41:31 PM »

I add a splash of soymilk, a little honey (or maple syrup) and a pinch of cinnamon and ginger. Yum!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://whammyindustries.com
Custom buttons and magnets, crafty and cooking zines, and other awesome stuff galore!
patriautism
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005 10:40:14 PM »

I never thought of some of those. Especially the lemon. Interesting. I also do the ice cream thing, that's mostly breakfast though. Some breakfast! I usually don't eat until 3 or 4 pm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005 06:40:17 AM »

I useally drink mine black, but sometimes I like to add flavored Coffee Mate.  My favs are Chocolate Cream and French Vanilla.
Why are you shooting us with your hair dryer? Grin
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005 06:41:51 AM by GloryB » THIS ROCKS   Logged
killer_threader
lord polly waffle

and unto them he said "borange"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005 06:55:27 AM »

the best thing ever is affogato (one scoop vanilla ice cream 1 shot esspresso) yes pretty much just the fancy term for icecream and coffee. when I have chocolate I like to sit a peice of it on my spoon and put it in the coffee till it melts then eat it off the spoon mmm.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

and he said unto the people of the hills and valleys " and all ye who eat brunch shall be damned to hell" and unto the people of the plains and seas "ditto"
Bastelmutti
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005 07:06:05 AM »

I have put dried orange peel and cinnamon in the grounds, and then mixed a little chocolate syrup in the milk. Orange-cinnamon mocha - Yum!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
colie
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005 07:43:52 AM »

my favorite would be pumpking spice and vanilla soy milk, plus a little extra cinnamon. it's especially good if you are starting with hazelnut flavored coffee.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
classycrafter
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005 07:49:42 AM »

This is a great thread!! I love coffee. Ive become addicted to St. Louis Bread Company (Panera Bread Co.) and have been going there every morning. I fell in love with their House Latte. Its steamed milk and expresso with a mix of spices. They dont tell you want the spices are but I suspect its vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and honey. Yum!!

Just a suggestion. Im sure its really easy to make at home if you have an expresso machine. Enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/classycrafter

classycrafter.etsy. com
Bobolots
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2005 07:50:17 AM »

I LOVE LOVE LOVE DaVinci Egg Nog flavored syrup in mine... no need to wait for the holidays!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loves2experiment
Swap Moderator
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator

Irreverent. Indomitable. Incorrigible.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2005 07:54:26 AM »

I tend to spike mine with Bailey's Irish Cream during the weekends.  On weekdays, I use soy milk in my coffee.  Sometimes, I'll add a drop of peppermint and some chocolate syrup to make my own version of peppermint mocha Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...loves to experiment...not a monogamous crafter...

STS Spring Market 2014
sassyfrass
"get in the cool club"

mom said rock it till tha break of dawn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2005 08:02:32 AM »

i dig pumpkin spice in my coffee in the fall.eggnog at christmastime works like magic. i used to work at an ice cream parlour,and i'd mix like 4 tbls. of REAL caramel in my coffee...soooooo good..not to mention all the different ice creams i've mixed into it....butterfinger ice cream is good for that...right now,i am into hazelnut coffee with raw sugar,and a shit ton of regular coffeemate!! i am dieting though,so this is the best i can get without adding calories!! it is good though. cinnammon is good just sprinkled on the grounds...and of course baileys,and the like to spice it up.coffee is sooooo good...and my 2 year old loves his decaf iced!!!! (no lie)!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
awtrlilee
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2005 11:39:02 AM »

anything coffee w/ a twist of anything liquor or liqueur (sp?) to give it an irish flair is nice, especially the new starbucks liquer (sp?-should prolly check dictionary.com for that) in some strong coffee...very comforting now that the weather is cooling down a bit-also, homeade latte- hot milk, instant coffee, (not a drop o' water) and some hershey's chocolate syrup-another yummy cold weather comfort beverage...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
patriautism
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2005 12:21:49 PM »

I useally drink mine black, but sometimes I like to add flavored Coffee Mate.  My favs are Chocolate Cream and French Vanilla.

Those are actually bananas! My friend was going to Germany to study and wanted a few pics of everybody and I hate boring pics so I started grabbing whatever was near me and posing with it. Apparently she keeps this one on her bathroom mirror. It would creep me out if someone was pointing bananas at me while I was sleepily brushing my teeth, but she's a weird girl Smiley

These are all great ideas, I'm gonna have to try them all!

And be really wired Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sillydickens
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2005 12:37:02 PM »

I just like mine with some simple skim milk--but everyone's ideas sound so great perhaps I had better rethink my strategy...on the ice cream thing, when I was younger my friend and I used to eat coffee ice cream and then we would put the rest of the ice cream (you know the kinda ice cream soup you get after you've finished eating) into coffee cups and would microwave them and drink it while trying to read the paper and talk about current events in the world...man were we cool...anyway, i really like the idea of cinammon or pumkin spice in coffee...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The priviledge of a lifetime is being who you are."--Joseph Campbell
johnuxb5
knitpunki

Head of John the Baptist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2005 03:24:25 PM »

ya, there ought to be a coffee forum... I was thinking that the best coffee I ever had was in Spain.  There, it's strictly cafe con leche, and I didn't see anything particularly special in the preparation... I've found that I can't really get a well made cafe con leche here in the US.  Basically it's just STRONG coffee added to boiled milk, no froth or anything, but you do get a lovely 'milk skin' on the top.  It may be that the milk there was very good, or the coffee particularly good, I dunno.  But ah... wish I could taste that again...

Well you all know - sometimes it's the time and place that makes a cup of coffee really good.  When I go home to see my brother and his wife, and he and I have a cup in the kitchen laughin' and talkin', that cup always tastes fantastic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

John's Knitting Blog: www.knitpunki.com
Painting: www.johnbiebel.com
Music: www.ichigatsu.com
patriautism
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2005 06:01:00 PM »

Yeah, I used to do the cafe con leche thing. I wonder why I stopped. That would be really good with half a packet of instant cocoa! That's so cool you got t o go to Spain! My husband says he still has dreams about this ice cream he had in Costa Rica. The closest thing we've found to it is ice cream of off this truck that circled the neighborhood around 10pm and had this strange ominous bell (BONGGGGGG.......... ..............BONGG GGGGGGGGG). We thought they were selling drugs at first, it's the only reason we bought any ice cream---to see if they did indeed sell it Smiley

Another thing I like to do is dump a bunch of whipping cream in it and add a Hershey's kiss.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

patriautism
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2005 04:09:38 AM »

Tub o whip cream + a few tablespoons of instant coffee = Coffee whip cream!

Very wonderful on chocolate cake that's been soaked in rum extract.

Okay, not really coffee, but still. It's awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loves2experiment
Swap Moderator

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2005 04:46:22 AM »

Okay...I've not even had my morning coffee fix yet and now I need coffee whip cream on rum chocolate cake?!?  That's just wrong!   Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

STS Spring Market 2014
patriautism
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2005 04:48:45 AM »

But it's so awesome. And if I ever bothered to put custard in it it would be like chocolate tiramisu!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loves2experiment
Swap Moderator

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2005 04:51:20 AM »

Totally doable.  Make a quick version of tiramisu: rum soaked sponge cakes (use twinkies if you're desperate?!?), vanilla pudding and chocolate whipped cream.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

STS Spring Market 2014
patriautism
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2005 04:54:31 AM »

Ladyfingers are pretty cheap, like a dollar a pack. I'll have to fool around with that. With the addition of the coffee whip cream Smiley I wonder if you can make coffee cannolis?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loves2experiment
Swap Moderator

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2005 05:04:47 AM »

Yeah, but all I have in my pantry is twinkies and vanilla pudding.  I believe I have a can of Redi-Whip in my fridge too Wink  Aren't ladyfingers pretty dry?  How would you pipe the whip cream into the middle?  When there's a will, there's a way, I suppose...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

STS Spring Market 2014
marimbachick
High Priestess of the Temple of Sexiness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2005 05:44:11 AM »

Continuing the coffee and whipped cream direction we're headed, a couple shots of espresso poured into a cup with a bit of whipped cream in the bottom is HEAVEN.  Like someone concentrated a cup of regular coffee with cream and sugar.  Mmm.

Then again, I work at a coffee shop, so I make it a point to try something new every day until I've tried the whole menu! 

Have you tried making coffee in a French Press?  It releases a lot more of the essential oils in the coffee beans, so that any kind of coffee is more aromatic and, in my opinion, easier to drink.  It's the only time I can drink coffee black!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We need the Falkland Islands...for strategic sheep purposes."
LivinEasy

Eat Cheese. Be Happy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2005 06:33:46 AM »

Speaking of French presses, my uncle (who lives an obsessively healthy lifestyle...eats perfectly, bikes 15 miles a day to work, yada,yada) just found out his cholestorol was sky high. Dr. couldn't figure it out until he mentioned he drank a cup of French press coffee every morning and had been doing so for the past 20 years. Seems the same essential oils that make it so damn tasty can also lead to high cholesterol. Just a word of caution. I love the stuff myself.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smelsmin
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2005 06:43:28 AM »

Those are actually bananas! My friend was going to Germany to study and wanted a few pics of everybody and I hate boring pics so I started grabbing whatever was near me and posing with it. Apparently she keeps this one on her bathroom mirror. It would creep me out if someone was pointing bananas at me while I was sleepily brushing my teeth, but she's a weird girl Smiley

These are all great ideas, I'm gonna have to try them all!

And be really wired Smiley

Oh bannanas! I always thought they were glue guns..

Kahlua mudslide in coffee...mmm..sugar y goopy goodness...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
medea
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2005 06:48:41 AM »

I'm a faithful believer in coffee chocolate and mint.

Heat some milk, throw in a bag of mint tea in it, let it seep.
Make coffee, add chocolate, then the minty milk.

I could live off that beverage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loves2experiment
Swap Moderator

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2005 07:12:42 AM »

I'm a faithful believer in coffee chocolate and mint.

Heat some milk, throw in a bag of mint tea in it, let it seep.
Make coffee, add chocolate, then the minty milk.

I could live off that beverage.

I like mint in my coffee too!  I usually add peppermint extract but I'll have to try it with mint tea!  Thanks for the suggestion Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

STS Spring Market 2014
patriautism
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2005 04:15:48 PM »

Wow, mint tea! I always just use the syrup. I think I had some french pressed coffee a couple of times. I can't really remember what it was like, I was sort of uncomfortable socially, but I was told it was the bestest thing for coffee. I'll have to try the esspreso/whip cream thing, I bet my coffeeshop will make it for me, I've become such a regular the just give me coffee. This is really ghetto but you could use a ziplock freezer bag to pipe whip cream. Just cut a small part of the corner off. Then you don't have to buy those expensive cake decorating bags and tips!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loves2experiment
Swap Moderator

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2005 04:51:02 PM »

This is really ghetto but you could use a ziplock freezer bag to pipe whip cream. Just cut a small part of the corner off. Then you don't have to buy those expensive cake decorating bags and tips!

I don't think that's ghetto!  Anything that cuts down on time spent doing dishes works for me!  I have a nice set of piping tips and I use them with ziploc bags  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

STS Spring Market 2014
poppysmum

Mei has arrived! Pic ASAP...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2005 04:58:53 PM »

I think they're glue guns...hehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poppysmum

Mei has arrived! Pic ASAP...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2005 05:01:54 PM »

OOOOPS! Just read through. That'll teach me to butt in! Sorry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
patriautism
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2005 05:07:10 PM »

It's okay, it is kind of a small pic, but I like it. There's not too many good pics of me out there Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smelsmin
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2005 12:17:35 AM »

OOOOPS! Just read through. That'll teach me to butt in! Sorry.

Yes, I always thought they were glue guns as well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shiftychica
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2005 03:41:30 AM »

Try a splash of chai tea concentrate in your coffee.  Or toss a few cloves and a bit of orange peel in with the coffee grounds.

Just don't put hot chocolate mix in with the grounds.   Grin  That doesn't work very well.

I had cafe con leche at some Cuban restaurant in the Orlando airport that I think is a chain... but I don't remember the name of it!  I've never had "authentic" cafe con leche in Spain but I thought that this place's was pretty good (add their guava & cheese pastry... mmm...).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain.
colie
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2005 09:27:46 AM »

Just don't put hot chocolate mix in with the grounds.   Grin  That doesn't work very well.
But making hot cocoa and coffee seperately, then mixing them together is delicious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pfirsch

Una vida de miedo es una media vida

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2006 07:44:49 AM »

One of my favorites is to add cinnamon and a few crushed cardamom pod to the grounds, let it sit for a few days, and then brew like normal.  It doesn't have that weird aftertaste like flavored coffee can tend to have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lodestar_j
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2006 12:18:10 PM »

I've only seen and had this one once in my life. in a lovely cafe in Wellington, New Zealand. It had a whole STAR ANISE in it and it gave the coffee a nice subtle anise flavour. i remember watching intently how they made it but i can't remember now if they put the star anise in the milk while they were foaming it, or into the cup as they extracted the espresso into it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LeesaLove
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2006 12:30:33 PM »

I LOVE ices coffe, rathr coffee-milk. About equal amounts fo coffee & milk.
I like vanilla soy milk with lots of cinnamon in trhe cfee grounds.

Chocolate soy milk with dried orange peel in the grounds.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
samann1121

samann1121.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2006 07:26:36 PM »

Ooo.. I'm gonna have to try that splash of vanilla in the water thing.  That sounds awesome! 

I usually go with pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, or cloves in the grounds if I want special coffee.  Although some nutmeg... If you don't put too much, it doesn't really taste like nutmeg, it just makes the coffee AWESOME (a tip I learned from Gilmore Girls.)   Smiley

Oh, and it's true -- putting hot cocoa mix in the grounds doesn't work at all.  But putting cocoa powder in the grounds makes for one beautifully chocolaty cup of coffee.

Oh yeah, and cream from the top of non-pasturized, non-homogenized milk in coffee...  ::dies of exposure to extreme coffee excellence::
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chocolate Sandwich Cookies Filled With Vanilla Cream
Baked Pineapple Ice Cream Floats Recipe
Raw Donut Recipe
Rice Krispies Treats Recipe
Double Cinnamon Sugar Cookies Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...