A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 299,154
Currently Running With Scissors:
582 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Captain Hook Help - Simplicity# 4923 *finished pics*  (Read 3226 times)
Tags for this thread: coat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Pedeka

I love being a girl.

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2005 06:32:01 AM »

I need moral support and technical help please. My husband decided to be Captain Hook for Halloween. I told him No Problem. I've worked Renn faires and did the SCA and Sci Fi con thing for awhile. I'm good at costumes. I'm NOT good at patterns.  This one scares me to death. It doesn't seem to be a "costumey" pattern. The pattern was priced at $15.95 (thank God for half off ). The jacket alone is going to take 7 yards of expensive fabric, and this is going to need extensive alterations because of my husbands huge shoulders and long arms.I've never done set in sleeves before - that's why I like Renn costyuming, when in doubt tie it on. A mistake will cost big$$.
Has anyone ever used this and can tell me that everything will be fine? I'm just about afraid to start. I'm doing a muslin first. EEk!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005 07:39:18 AM by Pedeka » THIS ROCKS   Logged
squirrellypoo

Sew sew sew scandalous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005 07:20:10 AM »

Ahh, I'm going to make that pattern for my boyfriend, but not until next summer (we're buying a huge barge to live in so our housewarming is going to be "pirates and wenches" themed, so we've got to be the best dressed there!).

The jacket looks a bit complicated, but the rest should be easy to wing, and if you mess up, just rip a hole in it and add some fake blood and say he's been in a battle. Wink

PS: Anyone else reading Neal Stephenson's "The Baroque Cycle" and smile at the mention of Captain van Hoek? heehee
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fehr Trade - custom clothing
LRS
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005 07:36:27 AM »

Pedeka,

Here are a few hints:

1. Check the pattern against clothes that fit him well.  Adjust if you need to.

2. Make a muslin first.  Use any old piece of fabric - an old sheet would do, or buy the cheapest stuff you can find.  Don't bother with the details, just make the alterations you think you need in the main pieces, cut it out and sew it together to check the fit.  You might even cut the pieces with an extra 1/2" in the side and back seams.  Use tracing paper to mark where the seams belong (5/8" in from the original pattern lines) so you'll know where to sew.  The extra gives you more room to let it out if you have to.  If you alter the muslin, mark your new lines with a pen and use that as your pattern.

3.  Use your muslin to practice setting in sleeves too. 

4. When you make the real thing, machine baste the seams and try it on again. 

5.  Remember it's a costume - it doesn't have to be perfect. 

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy.com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.com
Pedeka

I love being a girl.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005 11:23:36 AM »

Thanks guys, I just needed someone to tell me I can do this. If that makes any sense. I'm just going to have to teach myself to do alterations on the muslin. I have to take this pattern from ( according to the measurements on the package and what I took from the pieces) being too small as an extra large in the shoulders and arms, to an extra large chest, a large waist and medium hips. I just am thankful this pattern only has interfacing around the opening and doesn't ask for a complete lining and that the buttons are only decorations and I don't need 36( I think) buttonholes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marypoppins

Duct Tape Rules!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2005 03:18:55 PM »

We are going to be using this same pattern for our Captain Hook.  Our school is doing Peter Pan for the musical this year.  It really will be easier than you think, but do make a muslin before you start cutting into the expensive material.  It will save you a lot of headaches!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Don't call it trash...I can make something with it!!!
soteralu
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005 06:33:59 PM »

If you need to add width to the back, do it by splitting the pattern thru the middle and adding the necessary space int he middle.  It's the same concept as a shorten or lengthen line in the center of a pattern piece for skirts or pants.  asure you also allow for any changes you make in the main body of the piece in the accessorizing (lapels, peplums, etc).  And, when making costumes, repeat after me:  Fabric glue and gold braid are my BEST FRIENDS.  A multitude of ills can be covered with strategically placed braid.

Good luck!  This sounds super fun.  Don't forget pics when it's done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pedeka

I love being a girl.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005 11:28:34 AM »

An update: I am working on a muslin right now for fitting purposes.  I advise anyone using this pattern to be very sure about where the waistline on the jacket will hit. The skirt of the jacket has 3 large godets for fullness and if they start at the waist and not at the hip, the jacket becomes a dress. A very silly dress. ( I need to get pictures of darling husband in the muslin*snicker*)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pedeka

I love being a girl.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005 01:51:06 PM »

Another question if anyone is looking at this thread again - does anyone have any ideas about where to obtain the vast numbers of 1" buttons needed  for this jacket and vest without having to sell my car and dog to pay for them?  Brass would look best, but I am thinking that I may have to stoop to plastic and a can of krylon antique gold. I have a feeling that I need to do a good job on this because my husband just informed me that he bought $150 boots to go with this jacket. *wonders if this really is just a "costume"* Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pedeka

I love being a girl.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005 07:50:16 PM »

An update for those who are making this pattern.These are some pictures of how the "muslin" is going.  The fullness in the skirt  in back is with only one of the 3 godets added in...... so this thing is gonna swing!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
squirrellypoo

Sew sew sew scandalous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005 02:36:35 AM »

teehee, I know it's just a muslin, but the fabric makes it look like he's wearing a mumu! Wink

But wow, that IS very swingy! That explains why it requires so much fabric...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fehr Trade - custom clothing
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nikon J1 Video Sample
GE PJ1 DLP Projector Camera Demo at Photokina 2010
Nikon 1 System Hands-on
FujiFilm X10 Hands-on
NEX-C3 Hands-on
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...