A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,308
Currently Running With Scissors:
431 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Minneapolis Community Ed Classes...  (Read 2077 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sparky
« on: September 27, 2005 02:44:48 PM »

I'm thinking of signing up for a couple of crafty community ed classes (probably crochet and sewing).

http://www.mplscommunityed.com/insight/registry/catalog.asp

Several classes are available at multiple locations, with different instructors.  Does anyone have recommendations about where/with whom to taking sewing or basic crochet?

Thanks.
S

THIS ROCKS   Logged
sealux
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006 10:19:26 PM »

I hope someone replies to this because I was just looking at the course catalogue and was intrigued..

The stained glass class looks so cool.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are very few human beings who receive the truth, complete and staggering, by instant illumination. Most of them acquire it fragment by fragment, on a small scale, by successive developments, cellularly, like a laborious mosaic.
Anas Nin
motleykitten

Fuck nosejobs. Jewish Noses are HOT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006 05:16:47 PM »

I used to work for the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board as a creative director for kids. From what I have heard you can get a great experience at most of the community ed classes. Seward probably has a good mix of people in the class with a good instructor (I am guessing 'cause of the area). Also, South, Southwest and Washburn are excellent. I worked for Whittier Park and we were so jealous of the schools and their facilities.

BTW, just to let everyone know, if you have art supplies or craft supplies you are not using, or are looking for somewhere to volunteer your skills, PLEASE consider Whittier Park. I worked there four years ago and there are tons of kids who go there after school and have nowhere else to go. It is one of the worst-funded parks in the city and our budget for art and craft supplies was a mere $90 a quarter. The kids are so eager to learn and love arts and crafts. So keep that in mind!!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Up yours, young people. You and your rock and roll 8-track tapes!
sparky
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006 01:15:58 PM »

I took a stained glass class from Dragon Art Glass (5345 Lyndale Ave South - (612) 823-7434
...they don't have a website...maybe I'll offer to make one in exchange for some more supplies or classes...).  My husband gave me the class as a Christmas present, so I think it must have started in mid-January of last year.  I'm guessing the class schedule will be similar this year.

I really enjoyed the class - there were only 4 people in it and the instructor was a riot.  I can't remember how much it cost.  But I remember thinking it was a really good value once I realized how small the class was and how much attention we got.  I even dropped into the shop a couple of times on the weekend to use the grinders and ask for help.  My husband and I took the class together, so we were able to share most supplies.

I've also had some friends take community ed stained glass classes.  As far as I know, their experiences were all quite good. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pumpkingirl
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006 02:29:13 PM »

I took the stained glass comm ed class a few years ago and it was fun. We made an owl and a heart! I'm now signed up for tap dance!!!

I haven't taken crochet or sewing though. Sorry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Midwest Craftster!
dia.lee
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006 07:37:19 AM »

http://www.glassendeavors.com/
 I took the community ed class at Glass Endeavors- it was a great class and the people are very helpful and nice.

You can also go to http://www.jringglass.com/ JRing glass for great deals on glass plus classes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeadhiveGirl
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006 08:59:09 AM »

Sparky:

Sadly, Dragon Art Glass is going out of business.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2006 09:00:53 AM by BeadhiveGirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Support your local bead store!
SprocketJones
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006 06:04:15 AM »

You know I haven't thought about the Comm Ed classes forever.  When I first moved to the cities I took Italian through comm. ed.
The teaching was solid...and the space was nice.

I've never really thought of taking a craft class.... but the wheel pottery sure sounds fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The strangest secret in the world is that you become what you think about.  Earl Nightingale

sprocketjones.etsy.com
bumfuzzlerumdum
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006 09:33:36 AM »

BTW, just to let everyone know, if you have art supplies or craft supplies you are not using, or are looking for somewhere to volunteer your skills, PLEASE consider Whittier Park. I worked there four years ago and there are tons of kids who go there after school and have nowhere else to go. It is one of the worst-funded parks in the city and our budget for art and craft supplies was a mere $90 a quarter. The kids are so eager to learn and love arts and crafts. So keep that in mind!!! Smiley
Wow that sounds like very rewarding work. I live blocks away from Whittier Park and have always wanted to teach art to young kids. How would I go about volunteering my time in teaching a class. Do you need a degree in teaching?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hollydaze

Best things I ever made.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006 08:47:40 AM »

Comm Ed in my school district is always looking for people to teach classes, and no, you don't need to be licensed to teach them.  Here's what they have in the latest catalog: 

We are looking for teachers willing to add a little class to the night life in our district. You don't have to be a licensed teacher. Enthusiasm combined with knowledge of a subject or skill in a special interest area will be enough to get you started.  Those of us in Community Education Services are here to provide assistance on class content, handout production and more. We'll let you know what we expect, how we will promote your classes and do all we can to help you succeed. You'll receive an instructor's guidebook with all the practical details you need to know, feedback from class participants and appreciation for your efforts.  But it's not just about Community Ed, it's about you contributing to your community to make it a better place to be and your own personal growth.  Past class participants have indicated areas of interest. Along with those ideas are some of our own. Won't you take a look and give us a call? It's easy to get started!

Then they have a "class planning form" you can fill out and go from there.  Just call your comm ed and ask if the need instructors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We're not totally at the mercy of the wind, or of life.  Wind is essentially a chaotic phenomenon, but you can still sail in it.
BambiKhantastic
Craftster's Resident Tattoo Artist

Taloola Rocks my World!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006 12:18:33 PM »

oooo....I want to take Spanish and Chinese...

Oh, and bellydancing is always fun...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fabulous Hair Accessories to Look Your Best This Spring
3 Gorgeous Hairstyles for Girls with Curly Hair
Hair With Hollie: Faux Fringe
How To Get Perfect Beach Waves
Messy Braid
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!
April 29, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...