A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,911
Currently Running With Scissors:
411 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Brit visits US shock - anyone from Minneapolis here?  (Read 1542 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bryonyramsden
« on: September 27, 2005 01:11:34 PM »

Hoorah!  DB is attending a conference in Minneapolis at the beginning of November, and I am going with him.  There will be 3 or 4 days out of 7 where I may be on my own, and as I have only been abroad once (to Prague), I intend to take advantage of my free time, and do all the things he would never want to do (look round art galleries and museums, shop etc).  I also plan to invest in all the US yarns I've been lusting after for forever Cheesy

Does anyone who knows the city have any tips for my yarn shopping, or on anything else for that matter?  I know that we are staying at the Hilton, so I don't know if that makes a difference for me getting anywhere in the city easily, or even how big the city is!

And the subject?  That is because it will be only the second time I have flown anywhere, the second time I've been any further than Ireland to travel across water, and anywhere further than the UK basically (and I'm 28, so apparently I haven't lived all that much!  We never had holidays abroad when I was a kid, and then I never had the money once I moved out, or the time because I've always been studying when the cash has been around).  I am very very VERY excited about it all Grin

Yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am so boring I think people should be interested in me. 
www.bryonyramsden.co.uk/wp - Library Girl Knits
nongshim
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005 03:01:36 PM »

I'm originally from Minneapolis (in DC now) and I didn't get into knitting until I moved. On a recent trip back I did visit a couple yarn stores and The Yarnery in St. Paul is really expensive. Like, really expensive for yarns you can get anywhere. They did have Malabrigo yarn, which I haven't been able to find in store anywhere else. There was another shop I went to on the West Bank, which is kind of a funky little area, but now I can't remember the name. I'm sorry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the littlest ninja

Feed that mustache, son.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005 03:06:28 PM »

The west bank one is Depth of Field.  I live just across the river from it  Smiley  I can point you to a million other cool places around here, but I need more specific things, like what you want to do, what kind of food, etc.  I may even be able to show you around for a day or two, but I won't know that until closer to November.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Take that you stupid corn!
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005 03:52:23 PM »

When I visited Minneapolis I really liked the Science Museum of Minnesota, which is over in St. Paul.  But then, I'm a geek, so I would.  Unfortunately, that's all I really know about Minneapolis, having only been there the one time for an orchestra competition in high school.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
GraceOblivious
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005 04:03:56 PM »

Well good for you! sounds like a wonderful adenture.  I'm 6 hours north of Minneapolis, so not much help.  Except to suggest you check out this site for ideas and possible tour  while you are in town- http://www.textilecentermn.org/

Enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy http://www.feltsewcrafty.etsy.com
Zibbet http://www.zibbet.com/aTranquilNook
Blog http://aTranquilNook.blogspot.com/
Oh how I love to Sew and Make felt
stickeravenger

you are the trilobyte in my circus of love.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005 09:17:36 PM »

I'm in Minneapolis--a great yarn store is near the University, called Depth of Field.  Depending on when exactly you'll be here, I'd be happy to show you around!!

My email is ohbara at gmail dot com, or you can PM me, of course.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
earlmars
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005 10:22:07 PM »

I love to see people excited to travel!  Smiley  I live just south of Minneapolis. I'm a knitter/crocheter but I'm cheap and I only finish about half the projects I start so I buy most of my yarn from craft stores. therefore, I'm probably not much help directing you to yarn stores.  But I have done a lot of travelling so I've got a few things that might be helpful!

Often "Minneapolis" doesn't refer to just the city of Minneapolis. Really we've got two decent sized cities right next to each other: Minneapolis and St. Paul. Sometimes Minneapolis is used to describe both cities, or even both cities and all of the suburbs. Most people that live here will call a city by it's actual name but most people from outside of Minnesota or the USA will just call everything Minneapolis. Sometimes Minneapolis and St. Paul are called the Twin Cities or just the Cities. It can be confusing if someone tells you something is in Minneapolis and then you get here and everyone tells you it's not in Minneapolis.

You mentioned shopping - what kind of shops are you looking for? There's always the Mall of America, which is huge but is mostly chain mall stores you could find anywhere here. The MOA is really easy to get to from downtown, though! There's Uptown in Minneapolis that has some one-of-a-kind funky shops, tattoo places and stuff. There's also Grand Avenue in St. Paul, which has some boutiques and cute stores. (I think both Uptown and Grand Ave. have been getting more and more chains stores in the past few years. Still could be fun, though.)

If you haven't booked your airfare yet you may want to consider booking a flight that comes directly from the UK/Europe into the MSP airport. You will have to go through customs at the first airport you arrive at in the US even if you are only transferring planes. I absolutely hate doing this - sometimes you only have a short period of time between flights to get your luggage, go through customs, check your luggage back in and board your next flight. I've never had to do that in the EU, even when flying from one country to another. I know that British Ariways (Northwest in the US) has flights directly in to MSP. I think Iceland Air does as well.

The official Minneapolis tourism website

The official Minnesota tourism website They have lots of good ideas for things to do and I think they'll even send their brochure overseas for free. Lots of links to art museums and galleries if you click on the Activities button.

List of yarn stores in Minnesota 6 in Minneapolis, 3 in St. Paul. Some have links to websites.

Virtual Tourist site for Minneapolis

Metro Transit website Metro Transit is the bus/train service in the Minneapolis area. Handy if you want to get an idea of what public transport we have available. Check out the How To Ride and Popular Destinations links on the left side of the page.

And of course the weather!

This turned out really long. I'm kind of an anal vacation planner if you couldn't tell. I love to travel but it makes me so nervous... lol  If you have any questions, just ask! (Sometimes I think the planning is almost more fun than the actual travel  Cheesy )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hey! I'm the macho outdoorsy type - so quit calling me snugglebutt!
kahlan
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005 10:54:53 PM »

The Walker Art Center just opened a huge new expansion (if you're feeling thrifty, Thursday nights are free from 5pm-9pm -- walkerart.org) which is just a mile or two from the Hilton Towers (downtown). The Minneapolis Intitute of Art (mia.org) is always free, and also close to downtown (take a cab).

Minneapolis has the most theaters per capita of any US city other than New York, so there are always shows to see!

I'm not a knitter, so I'm not much help with yarn shopping, though. Just know that not much is open other than bars and restaurants downtown outside of normal M-F 9-5 hours.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://littlebluehen.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/notahipster/

Better to fail at something you love than succeed at something you hate. - George Burns
mols

The Holy Grail - of sorts . . . .

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005 02:19:06 AM »

when we went to minneapolis/st. paul on vacation a few years ago we liked:

http://www.minneapolisparks.org/default.asp?PageID=4&parkid=270

and we went to the mall of america.  an interesting experience.

and we walked and window shopped on grand avenue.

http://www.grandave.com/

the bus system was really easy.  we were only there thursday thru sunday, so we just bought individual ride tickets, but i think we decided that if we had been there longer, that it would be cheaper to buy a week long pass.

http://www.metrotransit.org/

and i seem to recall that the route planner on the above web site worked really well.  so if you're planning your itinerary in advance, you can figure out how to get from a to b.

sorry - no yarn specific info though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

An eye for and eye leaves the whole world blind.
bryonyramsden
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005 11:30:09 AM »

You are all very lovely indeed Smiley  Thank you!  I don't think we'd want to do too much on an evening after the conference.  DB doesn't like shopping, although he wants to do some DVD stores (he particularly fancies the full monty python collection...).  I've been told that I must visit Bead Monkey if only to buy things for said person Grin  I may purchase goodies myself tho too!  To be honest I'm not sure what we would want to do on an evening, except drink nice beer and maybe see a film or theatre show (DB isn't a club kind of guy at all).  The sculpture park looks very cool, as does the free night at the gallery, so I might be able to persuade him to visit those Cheesy  He's an awkward bugger, although he likes simple pleasures, like food and drink and a nice comfy chair.  We are both veggies, and have been reading through the list of eateries the conference holders have prepared, but it isn't much help, apart from helping us laugh at the way the Brit pub sounds Grin   I don't know any pub here with the royals on the walls Cheesy  Although I know plenty with Scotch Eggs on the menu...

The textile centre also sounds fab - I love the pics on the site for the shop Wink  Do you think I might spend a few quid?  Basically, the US is miles cheaper for lots of things than over here, cos of our massive taxes  Undecided  So this is a good opp to get anything that I couldn't justify in the UK, hence the desire to shop that is distinctly clear in this post Cheesy

Just looked at the Science Museum site, and it looks rather tops too Cheesy  Yay!  I'm getting very giddy Cheesy

I'm not sure whether to take you guys up on the tour guide thing yet or not Smiley - it depends on when plans to attend conference, and how long the flight is, but if I take you up, I'll let you know well in advance when we'll be arriving and when we might need you!  The flight, sadly, is booked by the admin team at work, so we don't have much say in how we get there.  They will pick the cheapest option most likely, which will mean flying via Amsterdam (not too bad), but we have no idea whether we'd have a stop over in the US  Undecided  Nevertheless - yay!

I'm far too excited when I have over a month to wait... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am so boring I think people should be interested in me. 
www.bryonyramsden.co.uk/wp - Library Girl Knits
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
17 DAY DIET: How to Be Bikini-Ready For Summer
The Man Who Changed the American Food Culture
Learn How to Draw Neil Flambé
Meet Author Scott Westerfeld
John Keane Talks About Life and Death of Democracy
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...