A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,063
Currently Running With Scissors:
819 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A bunch of Blizzard and no ideas!  (Read 1132 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

octagonfudge
« on: September 27, 2005 09:01:22 AM »

So I bought a crapload (about 7 skeins, I think) of Reynolds Blizzard (super-bulky alpaca/acrylic blend) in a color that looked good in the store (sort of a dusky rose color) in order to knit that lace leaves sweater from Loop D Loop.  Slight problem- it's too bulky for the pattern.  I made it, and it was a million times too big.  This made me sad, as I love that freaking sweater and looked like a gorilla or a five year old in it.  The armholes nearly reached down to my waist.  I need a good pattern for bulky-weight or super-bulky weight yarn, but there's a problem- I'm a small girl, and I need something fitted, or shaped nicely that won't make me look like I'm drowning in alpaca.  Any ideas?  Free patterns are preferred, but not necessary.  Oh yeah, and I'd like to make a sweater, or a jacket, or something to wear.  I'm sick to death of hats and scarves, and want something I can actually wear.

If I can't find a good pattern, who wants to trade me?  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jumped on the bandwagon- www.octagonfudge.blogspot.com
Maryam Ovaci

I love you, Interlibrary Loan.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005 10:42:38 AM »

What about that one pullover in loop-d-loop, the one with the caston/bindoff fringe thingies at the top? You'd just have to adjust the number of stitches to fit your gague, and then it's like 98% stockingette, right? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You bring Athena home five minutes after her curfew and not only does Zeus smite you with a lightning bolt, he transforms into a goose and seduces your mom." - Questionable Content

My own tiny knitblog, soon to include spinning!
http://pandabonzai.blogspot.com/
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005 10:48:52 AM »

http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall05/PATTjosephine.html
That's my sweater and you might be able to get gauge with that yarn.  Just try out different needle sizes (the yarn you have is supposed to be 10 sts/4" on US 15s which is pretty close to my 10.5 sts/4" so try it on maybe US 13 needles and you might get the right gauge.

It's more of a sweater/jacket so you wear it over other stuff so the bulk isn't a problem.  (At least for me, I'm not teeny tiny, but I'm fairly small.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wints
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005 11:05:57 AM »

http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall05/PATTjosephine.html
That's my sweater and you might be able to get gauge with that yarn.

melidomi, this is off-topic, I know, but I LOVE that pattern you made for Josephine! I adored that sweater that Josephine wore in Big Fish (I think I actually posted on here about it, in the 'knitting in movies' thread) and I was so thrilled to see that you'd been inspired to make a pattern from it. Beautiful work!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
octagonfudge
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005 11:42:24 AM »

ohhh, I love that sweater!  I saw it in the issue this month and I didn't even realize it was heavy yarn!  I'll have to learn how to do cables, but I think this should be enough to get off my butt and do it.  Even if I don't use the blizzard, I want to make this!
I hope I can get gauge!  I'll see tonight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Alyssa615
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005 04:35:38 PM »

Cables are super(!) easy, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
octagonfudge
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005 01:42:00 PM »

Wah!  I can't get gauge with the yarn.  Well, I can, but it's super, um, sturdy.  I don't think it'll drape as nice as I want it to.  But let the ten skeins of Two Two I bought to do the jacket be on your head, missy!  Smiley

So still stuck up a river with no pattern.  Sadness. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

killerdaisy
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005 02:18:19 PM »

if you crochet, there's a pattern called "blizzard" in the fabulous book "scarf style" - its a large wrap. it calls for more sks, but maybe you could shorten it? i dont crochet, so i'm not sure of the logistics, but i'm someone on the crochet boards could help you out

i think a giant hole-y knit wrap would be nice in blizzard - or maybe ever a lace pattern - since it's such a jumbo yarn you could do only 1 repeat of a 9 or 18 row pattern & have a full sized shawl!

i like how some lace looks in big yarn, but thats a personal thing...

good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
heart_bats

my favorite sport? knitting!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005 08:17:44 PM »

I - another small knitter - made this sweater/jacket from Rowan.  If this is a similar gauge, I think it's a versatile piece and flattering if you're short.  Mine (in brown) looks a bit trendier than this one in the picture, if I do say so myself!
http://www.yarnmarket.com/project.cfm?action=show_project&project_id=60&first_cat_id=-1
THIS ROCKS   Logged
octagonfudge
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005 09:16:04 AM »

Oh!  That's way cute.  And Blizzard has a similar gauge to Big Wool, I THINK.  I really like that!  I might have to break down and get that pattern.  And I sure am short, so I like flattering things for short people!  Yay!
I guess I'm picky....  It's hard to find stuff for me that doesn't make me look frumpy or like I'm playing dress-up in my mom's clothes.  ESPECIALLY with bulky yarn.  So why did I have the urge to buy it?  I'm silly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Backup Paracord Bracelet
How to Tie a Military Bugle Braid
How to Make Earrings - Advanced Earrings
How to Make Earrings - Basic Earrings
How to Make Earrings
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...