A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,111
Currently Running With Scissors:
525 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Just arrived in Germany...need material  (Read 1572 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ashtonrose
« on: September 27, 2005 06:10:37 AM »

I just arrived in Germany (Aug. 10th).  I know very little German and I can't find a store to purchase material.  Does anyone know of one?  I live in Wiesbaden.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyZary
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2005 11:13:44 AM »

Welcome to Germany!  Cheesy
What kind of material is what you are looking for? general craft supplies or something more specific?
Unfortunately there are not many large craft supplies stores here but there are some shops Online where you can find some supplies.  If you are looking for general crafts you can have a look at
http://www.vbs-versand.de/
their prices are ok, somethings are even cheaper than when you buy them directly at a store and they have a big catalog (free) that you can order online and check all their products from home.
For specific crafts there are other shops, but I don't know if you look for something specific or general.

I don't live in Wiesbaden so I can not help you with 'real' adresses of shops there, but if it is about Online I know some more shops. And of course ebay is as well a good source for supplies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

syntheticmeat
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2005 11:37:13 AM »

There's a pretty big craft store called "Listmann" in the city's center.
It's in the "Luisenstrae 35", right across from a large bus station (at the Luisenplatz) and a church.
Look at this photo: http://www.tompgalvin.com/places/de/hessen/photos/wiesbaden_02.jpg -- you can't see the store on it, but it's right behind the horse Wink. The church you see there is next to the store on the right.
The Listmann website is only available in german, but maybe it helps anyway: http://www.listmann-kreativ.de/html/home_frameset.htm
Clicking on "Wiesbaden" also shows you the buses you can take to get there (Bushaltestelle = bus stop) and where to park your car (Parken = parking).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ashtonrose
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2005 11:40:51 AM »

Thank you guys so much.  I do lots of crafts, but mostly sewing.  I love to sew.  The only place to purchase material on base costs almost $9 for a yard of cotton.  I almost flipped out.  I'm sure it's not much cheaper on the economy, but something has to be better than that.

Thanks for the info.  I'm going to check into everything tomorrow.   Gotta get my kid to bed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
syntheticmeat
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005 10:42:53 AM »

Hm, if you need stuff for sewing... I'm not sure Listmann has too much of that. It's been a while since I was shopping in Wiesbaden, so I don't know if it still exists, but I used to buy fabric and yarn at "Karstadt", a department store with a reasonably big fabric section. It's not too far away from Listmann, in the pedestrian area. But I can't promise you that fabric is dramatically cheaper there than on base. I find most of it pretty expensive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ashtonrose
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2005 12:57:21 AM »

Thanks.  I just met a lady at the arts and craft center here on base and she said to order online.  She said even with the shipping I'll be paying less.  So, off I am to find online shops.

Ya'll have been great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyZary
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005 07:02:50 AM »

Yes! for fabric the best choice is Online, fabric is pretty expensive here. 8-9 Euros per meter are the standard prices for the most 'normal' simple fabrics (and about 6 Euros when they are on Sale) but I usually pay at the stores around 12-18 Euros per meter for nice fabric, so the best choice is Online, I buy a lot of fabric Online.

A tip: If you are looking for fabric a bit more thicker like for decoration, curtains, bags or something else, you can find really really cheap fabric in IKEA, but I don't know if you have an IKEA there.  They have usually some fabric for as little as 3-5 Euros per meter and the quality is good, but as I said, they are a little thicker, not for clothing. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Simple Animation - 3ds Max
Basic Adobe After Effects CS4 Tutorial
How to UVW Map and Texture - 3ds Max Part 1/2
Basic Camtasia Studio Tutorial
How to Play Video In Reverse - Sony Vegas
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...