A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 305,736
Currently Running With Scissors:
638 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ribbon Skirt NOW WITH TUTORIAL!!! (img heavy)  (Read 39356 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kiwimonkey
« on: September 26, 2005 11:00:41 PM »

I love ribbon! 
I've always loved ribbon!
I always will love ribbon!

That being said, I can't believe I never thought of making clothes from ribbons before.  But now thanks to my new addiction to craftsters and all the cool people and designs on here, I present to you:
RIBBONS!

twirl shot

Front

back

TUTORIAL

**okay so my first step(which I forgot to make pictures of) was to make a simple square skirt out of some excess white fabric I had lying around.
You know the kind I mean..... two square(or rectangles) sewn together on two sides, hemmed.

**set the under-skirt aside. You won't need it again for a while.

**You've already determined the length you want your skirt, so now it's time to cut your ribbons.
I found it simplest to tape my tape measure to the table, and then stretch the ribbon across the table, kind of like the do fabric at fabric stores.

I decided I wanted a 20in skirt, so I cut all my ribbons to approximately 20 inches. 

**after cutting the ribbon I used fray-check on each end to prevent raveling (sp?)

**Once ALL the ribbons were cut, I then starting pinning them onto my "waistband"   I Decided that instead of making a waistband, I'd use blanket binding (which, if you don't know, is like seam tape, only wider and mad of satin). I unfolded it (it's actually just a long piece of wide satin "ribbon" folded in half, and pressed to stay that way.) and pinned my ribbons the to inside, so that if I refolded the binding, I'd have a white strip of satin with ribbons stinking out.

Here's where the trick comes in.  You want to LAYER the ribbons.  Pining them side by side will NOT create the effect you're going for.  You need to AT LEAST overlap the edges of the ribbons.  The more ribbons, and more layering and overlapping you do, the fuller and flowy-er, the skirt will be.

And remember, which ever ribbon you want on the outside of the skirt has to be the on pinned closest to the waistband. For example if I have a 1/4 inch pink ribbon, 1/2 inch purple and 1 inch turquoise ribbon, I'd pin the pink one down first, then the purple, then the blue, so that when attached to the skirt I'd see pink on purple on blue.

**Now it's time to sew the ribbons the the blanket binding.

Words of warning: GO SLOW!  Straighten out the ribbons before you get the them.  If they're lying funny(twisted, not straight etc.) when you sew them down, that's how they'll be on the finished skirt.  I found it easiest to sew 6 inches or so, then straighten the next ribbons out onto my sewing machine cabinet, sew those down and continue in that fashion.

**Once the ribbons are sewn onto the waistband, it's then time to pull out your underskirt again.
Pin the waistband (blanket-binding) to the underskirt.

The top (unfinished edge) of the skirt goes between the fold of the blanket binding, with the ribbons streaming down the "outside".

**Sew the waistband to the skirt.

**Where the two edges of the blanket binding meet, I didn't sew shut, yet.  I first inserted elastic (cut to be just smaller than my waist, so it would fit snugly).

THEN I sew along the line where the two edges meet.

**VOILA!

The hardest part of this skirt is knowing how much ribbon to buy. My opinion is the more, the better. 
I bought 
*6yard spools of
     lavender grosgrain ($1.50)
     yellow grosgrain ($1.50)
     red grosgrain ($1.50)
     narrow orange satin ($.50 on sale)
*3yard spools of
     white with polkadots satin ($2.00)
     pink stripe grosgrain ($2.00)
     shimmery shear blue ($2.00)
*5 yards cut
     green satin($0.74/yard)
     purple satin($0.74/yard)
     narrow pink satin ($0.34/yard)
     wide turquoise satin ($0.74/yard)

Plus I had:
  1 and 1/2 yards of purple satin
  3 yards yellow satin
  3 yards green satin
in my stash

I spent about 20 dollars on the ribbon, but I would've bought it anyway.  I always buy ribbon, even when I don't have a specific project in mind for it.
I'm sure you could spend less, if you shop the "remnants" bins at the fabric stores.  Most of the remnants are less than a yard, so they bundle them and sell them as a group.  I know Joann's (i think) used to have "grab bags" of ribbon remnants for like a dollar or something.  Most of the pieces in there would be about the right length for this skirt, as long as you weren't going to make it TOO long.
It's also MUCH cheaper to buy the spools of ribbon.  However, if you're going to certain colors they may or maynot be available on spools. If you don't have your mind made up of the EXACT colors you want before you go buy, and you're a lot more likely to get cheaper ribbon.

Hope that was all clear and understandable.  If not, just ask me and I'll try my best to clear it up for you.
As always, comments are wonderful! And if anyone decided to make one, I'd LOVE to see it!

« Last Edit: April 22, 2009 03:59:06 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue. - don't mind me! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I ♥ swaps!
hiD
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005 11:07:51 PM »

my my my...that is one nifty treat.....

thank you so much for sharing that bad boy

....definitely interested in a tut - a - loot
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carmenita

Yes I would, if I only could, I surely would.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005 07:20:14 PM »

That is pretty darn awesome. Please post a tutorial. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ibimus
Soup Nazi

I'm crackers about cheese, Grommit!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005 07:38:17 PM »

If we want a tutorial? Of course! :p Please post...(after you've had some much-deserved rest)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.

www.livejournal.com/users/ibimus
www.myspace.com/ibimus
ambassadr
:)

uh-oh i have flowers growing out of my head..again

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005 09:41:49 PM »

tutututuutututuutututuututtutututut please!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

what do u call cheese that's not yours?

nacho cheese!
SourGirl
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005 09:52:22 PM »

Thats too cool, tutorial pretty please?  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IAte86Crayons
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005 10:07:54 PM »

how preeetty
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kellygreen9
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005 06:38:06 AM »

That is the most adorable thing in the WORLD.  In the good sort of way.  Not the "aww!  puppy!" way.

Of course we want a tutorial; it's CRAFTSTER!  Silly goose.  But wasn't all that ribbon awful expensive?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005 06:42:54 AM »

LOVE! that would be an amazing dancing skirt...HYELLO! look out! I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
Kiwimonkey
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005 08:17:43 AM »

Your wish is my command! : Grin  I'll start writing that tutorial right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I ♥ swaps!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Easy Logos
How to Create 3D Logo Text in Photoshop
How to Create Poster text in Photoshop
How to Create a Zoom Camera Effect in Photoshop
How to Add a tearing Effect to Your Image in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...