A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,685
Currently Running With Scissors:
564 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Pyramid studs n' plaid bag for fall -very img heavy!!  (Read 228336 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

archer*of*loaf
Lip them

Audiowhore, sucking on sound

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2005 03:35:33 PM »

Okay, so I followed your whole tute and wasn't crazy about my fabric choices in the end.  I hacked the entire thing apart and remodeled the bag.  I think the main problem with the original bag was that I used some of this really cool textured vinyl and it just didn't want to cooperate on the trim and corner areas.  So, I chopped the top trim off and removed the corners, took the fabric handles off and used plastic instead.

Front (with natural light):

Front (with lamp...my walls and the fabric aren't that vibrant...more of an eggplant shade):

Inside:

Lining detail:

Exterior detail:

So, be honest.  What do you think?  I made the bag bigger than the other bags posted here because I thought it would be a nice bag to take with me to the farmers market.  Perfect size.

I think next time I use a bit more detail along the top and I'll add the corners on.  This was more of a trial and error kind of thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And hoping for an early death you swam so far you lost your breath, and struggling in the ebb and flow I took your hand, but you let go...
And now the ocean fills your lungs, and now you've got what you had come for, resting peaceful as you sink to drown under a sea of strangers.

-E. Bachmann
archer*of*loaf
Lip them

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2005 03:36:09 PM »

Hmm, why are my pictures resized?  Anyone know?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And hoping for an early death you swam so far you lost your breath, and struggling in the ebb and flow I took your hand, but you let go...
And now the ocean fills your lungs, and now you've got what you had come for, resting peaceful as you sink to drown under a sea of strangers.

-E. Bachmann
thingwraith
Awaiting zombification

Horse Montage!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2005 05:12:39 PM »

That's awesome!  I love the purple material!!  You always have the best stuff, hehe.
I have no idea why your pics got smaller, though. O_o
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://zomboid.com
My website, newly redesigned as of 9-2010! ^_^

http://facebook.com/heycookie
Yes, I have one of those, too. ^^;
archer*of*loaf
Lip them

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2005 05:49:37 PM »

Thanks a lot.  Now that I look at it I realize that it's really not all that close to your tute at all, but I'm just really happy because this was the first time EVER that I had the chance to sew darts.  I always feared them but they were nowhere near as bad as I thought they'd be.  Cool.

Anyway, thanks for the compliments.  I get most of my material from this little place in my home town.  My home town used to be well known for its textile mills many, many years ago.  You'd never know it except for the old skeletons of factories left behind.  Sad, really.  This place is the only spot left that has material.  Three little old people run it and they've got bolts of fabric still there from before I was born.  When you shop there you have to be willing to devote lots of time to digging through piles and piles of fabric.  Not all of it is good, but they take seconds from well known manufacturers and I can get stuff that would normally cost $45/yd for around $2/yard.  They know me pretty well now so I get a lot of under the counter "buy one, get one free" deals.  Cool.  I just have to keep my ever-growing stash hidden from my husband.  Heh heh.

Thanks again!  Your tutorial was fantastic!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-E. Bachmann
thingwraith
Awaiting zombification

Horse Montage!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2005 01:08:20 AM »

That's awesome, I'm so jealous of your fabric finds!  We do have a little shop sorta like that here, though.  It's an oft-overlooked upholstery shop, right next to a viaduct on the south side of town (not much to look at and the hours are VERY odd).  The lady there has all kinds of discontinued stock and old fabrics that she sells much cheaper than what you'd normally pay.  I have bought a few nice fabrics from her.
Even though your purse is different I still think it's great.  I always love to see variations on things. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

archer*of*loaf
Lip them

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2005 05:49:36 AM »

Thanks!  I had a lot of fun with this bag, despite all of the problems with the vinyl material.  Thanks for sharing it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-E. Bachmann
thingwraith
Awaiting zombification

Horse Montage!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2005 09:49:05 AM »

Hey, no problem.
Thanks for sharing *your* creation! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Catniplemon
All your base are belong to us!

I like rusty spoons. - Salad Fingers

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2005 11:40:14 AM »

So I said I would make this bag, and I'm sure glad I did!  I FINALLY got around to it two days ago. Well - started it at least. Total time to complete this bag for me was about 5 hours. Granted, this is the first bag/purse I have made using a tutorial on this site. Your tutorial for me was very very easy to understand.  I almost goofed up by forgetting the interfacing!  I was so glad to be almost finished that I got carried away. Fortunately I was only a few inches into the stiching when I realised something was missing.  Roll Eyes

The front of the bag. I did what you did, and just eyeballed a pattern to a size I thought would work for me. (sigh) but it's too small. I'm doing this again but in something a little larger. Finished size ends up being about 10"x6".  Great size though for just needing something to carry a few items in. (to me, a few items is my wallet, keys, coin purse, phone, pen, paper, tissues, and Carmex)

Hmm, resized mine too. (??) Anyway, the inside of it. I discovered I REALLY need to do some more fabric shopping. I'm very very limited on lining sorts of fabric. ( get most of my fabrics from the Goodwill Outlet Grin )

I love love love the style of this bag, and am happy with the results. Now, if only I can learn to line things up better. Ends up I did not line up the corner pieces too well. I call this my practice purse. I learned alot from doing it and am glad it was such a quick sew. Thank you for taking the time to create your tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Euch, you taste like soot and poo Hubert Cumberdale! - Salad Fingers
thingwraith
Awaiting zombification

Horse Montage!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2005 11:49:18 AM »

Catniplemon:
Aww, it's so cute!  Yours looks all warm and cozy!  Is that outer fabric like a woolly material?  It reminds me of a skirt I had when I was little. Smiley
I get a lot of fabric from Goodwill too!  I've scored a lot of great stuff there.  What is goodwill outlet?  I don't think I've ever heard of it.  I'm always scouring thrift stores for good fabric on the cheap, hehe.
Anyway, I really like your bag, I think it came out great!  And I'm glad my tutorial wasn't too hard to follow, hehe. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Catniplemon
All your base are belong to us!

I like rusty spoons. - Salad Fingers

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2005 12:18:51 PM »

Thank you, thingwraith.  Smiley

The Goodwill Outlet is where they sell clothing by the lb!  (best kept secret for craftsters Lips sealed )
When I find that they're low on the stuff or find nothing at all, I start looking at the clothing in the bins for something that might work. Even just for appliques.

The shell is a wool type of material. I'm going to assume for all intents and purposes that it IS wool. It was from one of my finds at the afore mentioned place. It is all cozy like, but nothing I'd want up against my bare skin. (scratchy) but perfect for fall coloured purses!! HA!  I'd like to add that the intrfacing i used was of regular weight, and it seems to be perfect for this size of purse.

That lining is horrid, but it was the best matching stuff I had on hand. (I'm heading out to the Goodwill after I post some more pics of my pin cushions) It's a cotton fabric but it's more like flour sack sort of stuff.  OH! I was going to go buy me some of those snaps you said you used on your first one, but luck be a lady if I didn't find some (4 packets!!!) in one of those bags of goodies at Goodwill ! I was sooooooo (seems I get easily excited by the smallest of things Undecided ) happy! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Euch, you taste like soot and poo Hubert Cumberdale! - Salad Fingers
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Smoked Egg Salad Recipe
The Success of Chef David Chang
Pork Estofado with Plantains and Pearl Onions Recipe
How to Make Curry Chicken Salad
Chicken Broccoli Stir Fry Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...