A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,698
Currently Running With Scissors:
552 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Pyramid studs n' plaid bag for fall -very img heavy!!  (Read 228352 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thingwraith
Awaiting zombification

Horse Montage!

View Profile WWW
« on: September 26, 2005 09:58:31 PM »

I saw a picture of a cute bag in Lucky mag, and decided I could make my own version for a lot less than 285$!
Here's the original bag:

http://zomboid.com/images/model.jpg

Pardon the crappy pic, but I couldn't be bothered to get the scanner out. ^^;

Here's my version, somewhat "punked" up:

http://zomboid.com/images/plaid1.jpg

http://zomboid.com/images/plaid2.jpg

http://zomboid.com/images/plaid3.jpg

I really like the way it looks but it's not as stiff as I would have liked (I was out of heavyweight interface and used a lighter weight type...big mistake Tongue).  Also I learned some lessons the hard way...like next time (if there is one), I'll apply the studs *after* the bag is all topstitched and finished.  I'd rather the prongs on the studs show on the inside of the bag than deal with trying to sew with those studs in the way!!  Also next time I will draw my pattern a bit deeper because this bag just fits all my stuff in it.  Sad
Oh well!

***TUTORIAL****
Well, this is my first tutorial and I hope it will make sense.  Here goes!!

The first thing you need to do is make a pattern.  I drew mine as a rectangle and curved the corners and top portion with a 4" ring, but you could do this however you want.

Next you need to get all your parts together.  You'll  need an outer fabric (recommend something sturdy with some weight to it), a liner fabric, some interfacing (I used fusible heavy weight for this project), a contrasting fabric for the trim (I used felt for this purse, and I strongly recommend felt or any other fabric that won't fray), and some sort of embellishments.

Here are all of the parts I used.  To make the trim pieces for the corners, I just drew a sort of football shape, using the corner of my pattern as a guide to get the size and shape right.  For the top trim pieces, I traced the top of my pattern onto the felt, and then eyeballed about an inch down and freehanded the same shape again to get the long curved line.  

For the flap closure, I used this pattern off my quilting cutting mat, but you can do any shape you like. Smiley
You need a piece from the liner and a piece from the outer fabric, of course.

Now that you have all your pieces cut out, go ahead and put your flap together.  Line up the outer and liner pieces with their good sides facing, and stittch all the way around, leaving the bottom part open so you can turn it out.  Then turn it right side out, press, and top stitch around it.  

Next you can sew the darts into your outer pieces (I hate this part Tongue).  

I tried to show in the picture what I did.  Basically you just pinch the dart area together and sew along the line.  
You'll need to do this to both sides of the outer fabric and the liner as well for a total of 8 times, so go ahead and do that now. Smiley

Now that you're done with that part, you can attach your trim.
I'd like to add at this point that I did not use coordinating thread for this project!  Not only did I not have any, but I wanted the stitching to show in the images as well.  But I really recommend using  matching thread, it just looks better that way.

Line up your top trim piece with the top of your outer fabric, pin in place, and sew.  It may be helpful to use a little fabric glue stick to keep it still.  Do this on the other piece of outer fabric as well.

Attaching the corner trim pieces is a little tricky, and there's no real science to it.  Hopefully my photos will help explain it, but you can also do this in any way you find that works for you.

Basically what I did was try to center the corner trim onto the corner of the fabric, using the dart seam as a sort of guide.  Then I pin the top and bottom to keep it centered (first pic).  Next I pleated the sides a little bit to gather up the excess felt, and pinned those in place (pics 2 and 3).  Then you carefully stitch around the whole thing, and pic 4 is what is should look like when it's done. Do this on all four corners of your outer fabric.

Now is the fun part...embellishing your bag!  I used rick-rack on this bag to try to hide my non-matching thread (lol), but you can embellish your bag in whatever way seems best to you.
This is what mine looked like after I attached the rick-rack:

If you're going to use studs like I did in the original bag, you might want to attach them when you are all finished with the bag.  I attached them first, and it was really hard to sew the bag together with the studs in the way. >_<

Now it's time to make the strap.
You can do this any way you want.  The plaid bag is much larger than this green one, and the straps are long enough to carry it over your shoulder.  This bag is smaller, so what I did was cut one piece (4"x24") and then just cut it in half.  That made two straps that are the perfect size for carrying in your hand or over your wrist.

Anyway, you fold your strap's edges in to meet each other, press it, then fold that in half, press it again, and stitch down each side of the strap.  I cut it in half lengthwise to make the 2 straps *after* I sewed it, but you could do it before, too.

Now that you've done all of this, take your outer fabric, match up the top and sides, pin it together, and sew all the way around the 3 outer sides.  Do the same with your liner fabric, but leave a space big enough to turn the bag through on either the side or bottom of the liner.

That's my liner all pinned together.  I left my hole on the side of the bag.

Now you're ready to assemble the bag!  
Turn your bag inside out if it isn't already, and pin the flap inside, good sides facing.
Pin the straps in on the edge of the curved part.

Lay your liner in on top of all that, good side facing the good side of the outer fabric, match up the edges, and pin.

Now stitch all the way around the top of the bag, making sure everything is lined up as you go.  It helps to go slowly since this bag has an odd shape at the top.  
Once you've done that, you can turn the bag right side out, press the top of the bag down and top stitch it so it lays nice and flat.  Then sew up the hole in your lining, attach a snap to the flap and front of the purse, and admire your handiwork, because you're finished! ^_^

Hope everyone enjoyed this tutorial and that it's not too hard to follow.
Let me know if you have any questions!!
 Grin
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011 04:43:14 PM by kaz814 - Reason: broken images - kaz814 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://zomboid.com
My website, newly redesigned as of 9-2010! ^_^

http://facebook.com/heycookie
Yes, I have one of those, too. ^^;
sherrylee69
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005 10:08:51 PM »

You have got to post a tutorial of that!

Oh, and I love the jean purse. I know what you mean about the uglyness.....but that's what makes them so DUK...you know? Damned Ugly Kewl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought.
iheartalex

Makeshift Apparel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005 10:09:36 PM »

I love the first one! Did you use a pattern or just make it up??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thingwraith
Awaiting zombification

Horse Montage!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005 10:17:44 PM »

sherrylee69:
Thank you!!  ^_^
LOL about the jeans purse...my friend loves them, too.  She keeps trying to make me make a bunch and sell them on ebay  Cheesy I think I'm just going to give it to her, hehe.  I hated making it because I was determined that it have a liner, but my machine couldn't sew with the button and stuff so I had to hand sew it in...ick! Angry
I've never done a tutorial...I could try I suppose but I didn't think to take pics of the process.  Undecided

iheartalex:
Thanks!  I just sort of winged it with the first one.  I hand drew a pattern that I thought looked like the purse in the mag and just went with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

junquette

Oh come on ya can never own enough shoes or purses

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005 10:29:12 PM »

I line all of my jean bags. I cut the waistband at the bottom of it all the way around. When you get  to the button and the hole just cut below them as you did all the way around. The I sew on a little patch to cover the hole up. I've been doing this for years and line them. I didn't like the fraying show inside the purse either. I always caught my fingernails in it. But lining isn't hard to do at all. The only thing I ran up against wiht it was not leaving the hole in the lining big enough to turn and pull it all through right side out. But once I adjusted the hole length it was no problem. But I really do like your little bum bag as I call them. Those pockets are so cute. You could try beading the stitching lines for a neat effect too. Or even fabric paint and trace the stitching. Or do a bunch of little dots along the same stitching. Or take a narrow ribbon and embroider along the stitching. Or even sew pretty buttons on it to dress it up some. Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thingwraith
Awaiting zombification

Horse Montage!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2005 10:40:58 PM »

Thanks, junquette.  That is a good idea.  If I ever make a jeans bag again I will definitely try it.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sherrylee69
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005 11:21:19 PM »

I love the jeans purse as is....... I went to a festival a couple of weeks ago and they were selling them without linings.....

Like I said, I think it's perfect....

But the first one.....OMG! It's fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought.
westcoastchica
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005 11:50:59 PM »

That plaid bag is the BOMB.  The fabric, the shape, the studs, I LOVE it...

(I would be *so* excited to see a tutorial for that bag...  Grin)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thingwraith
Awaiting zombification

Horse Montage!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2005 11:57:02 PM »

sherrylee69:
Actually, it does have a liner.  You can just see it peeking out in the first pic.  Smiley
I'm curious...were people  buying the ones you saw at the festival?  My friend is just convinced they would sell like hot cakes but I'm not sure because they're just so easy for anyone to make, why would they buy one, you know?
I'm glad you like the plaid bag...I like it too!  I just wish the fabric was stiffer and I had made it a little deeper.  Live and learn I guess! ^_^;

westcoastchica:
Thank you!  Maybe I will try to come up with a tutorial for this tomorrow.  I wish I had thought to take pictures while I made it, hehe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

archer*of*loaf
Lip them

Audiowhore, sucking on sound

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2005 07:08:36 AM »

I'm with everybody else...I LOVE the plaid bag.  Great job, and I'd love a tutorial too!  You know, as if I don't have enough to do with my time already.  Ha ha ha.  Very nice!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And hoping for an early death you swam so far you lost your breath, and struggling in the ebb and flow I took your hand, but you let go...
And now the ocean fills your lungs, and now you've got what you had come for, resting peaceful as you sink to drown under a sea of strangers.

-E. Bachmann
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Korean BBQ Beef Taco Recipe
Put A Delicious Asian Twist On Chicken Wings!
Stir-Fry 101
How to Make Miso Glazed Rockfish
Easy Beef Noodle Stir Fry Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...