A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,506
Currently Running With Scissors:
460 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ribbon acting as a "clasp"  (Read 1109 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Strawberry85
« on: July 09, 2005 03:07:51 PM »

How would you go about making a necklace like this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001O1WIE/002-1720908-9924028?v=glance

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ubercraftygal

and i swear, in that moment, we were infinite.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2005 03:13:46 PM »

i think that if you threaded ribbon through a small metal clasp, and then you attached the clasp to one end of the beaded jewelry, and if you do this to both ends, you will end up with two ends of ribbon that you can tie together to determine how tight the necklace will be... sorry if that didn't make any sense... i just looked at the pictures on that site and that's what it seemed to be.

lauren
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CatyX
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2005 03:21:17 PM »

Is it definately actually the ribbon that ties up because my friend has a necklace very similar and it just has a normal metal clasp at the back and there is just a ribbon in there with absolutely no point other than to look good.

Hope this is of some help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mizuiro
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005 09:02:43 PM »

If you take the loop part of a toggle clasp, and use one loop at each end of the necklace, you can thread the ribbon through both loops and tie a bow to keep them all together.

You can use fairly inexpensive toggles too, since they won't show too much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Got Blog?  So do I:  http://yeahiknit.blogspot.com/
Ayn
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2005 06:54:42 AM »

Hi Strawberry8 -- The pic no longer comes up so (or at least it isn't coming up for me) so I don't really know what the closure looks like ...

but if you do want "no clasp at all", just ribbons at each end -- mizuiro's idea above is great, especially since the round parts of toggle clasps are oftenquite decorative. However, if you only use those two parts then of course you have the two 'bar' parts of the toggle clasps left-over.

To avoid that, another idea is simply to use large jumprings at each end of the necklace -- I'd say preferably the soldered-closed rings, since tying/untying the necklace might cause unsoldered rings to open & the ribbons could slip off.

Fairly large rings should be available in craft stores or in bead shops; also, online places such as FMG (firemountaingems.com) almost always have at least 8mm diameter & sometimes up to 10 or 12mm diameter.  And not all of them are plain like ordinary jumprings -- some do have at least a little decorative touch such as a twisted or rope effect.

Of course if you want to use very-wide ribbon, then 8-12mm or so may not be large enough; but a 12mm ring should accommodate up to about 1/2" wide ribbon, an 8mm ring up to about 1/4" wide ribbon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Strawberry85
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005 04:44:10 PM »

Thanks for all the advice, suggestions, and tips Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss Hannigan
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2005 10:13:52 AM »

what also might be a good idea, since the ribbon used is quite wide, would be to sew the ends of the ribbon in place. I mean pull each end through a big jumpring and sew the short end of the ribbon to the backside of the long end. Ribbon that wide is hard to tie into an invisble knot. Hope this made some sense.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HardCandy63

Short Attention Span Crafts Since Age Four.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2005 02:16:43 PM »

just attach strong jump rings on the end & tie pretty ribbon to that, you might want to do a couple of stitches over the knot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ezrainiel
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2005 05:35:01 PM »

I'm thinking you might want to use a magnetic clasp for something like that, as attaching a regular one behind the bow could get tricky.  That's just moi, though.  Pretty idea ..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Triple-Whammy Updo
Beauty Tips For Traveling
Is Easy-to-Remove Glitter Makeup a Real Thing?
Alexa Chung Talks About It, Bedhead and Korean Strip Clubs
Beauty Test Lab: Demi Lovato For the New Black Nail Kit in Shattered
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...