A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,561
Currently Running With Scissors:
467 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pride and Prejudice - Or, Why Don't They Like Stuff We MADE?  (Read 7953 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2006 10:12:22 AM »

But I give what I make because I learned a long time ago that I want to give gifts that I look back on with pride. And someday, they will appreciate it....even if it takes an arrival at the pearly gates and God almighty himself to point out how long that poncho took or how perfectly that pillow matches her couch.  I enjoyed the making of it and with a family like that, sometimes you have to be selfish to deal with them and not put arsenic in the gravy.

RFLMAO   you are too  funny!!!   I tell you  tho  your  out look on it is right on teh  nose. I  continue to craft  items for presents and  will continue to do it  till I can't  anymore.......  I find it fits  better in MY budget  and  in  my sanity  so  sorry about their  luck  its  really  their  loss and I pray they  never hae to learn the  harsh lessons that  would  put them in check!  (altho they need to be put in check)....  What  I  find  SO  humorous is  about mmmm  I  think 4 years  ago I  quilted  a  blanket for my step mother  to match her sitting chair, after I folded it I slid 3 gift cards inbetween the folds (outback steakhouse, Target, and her favorite barnes and noble)  she never  took it  out of the  packaging all the way when she  opened it ,,,, I go tthe  response  oh  this  must be  from Julie....  last year at  christmas she gave that  gift to a family friend as a I bought this  for you  don't  you like it.......(still in the  same box I packed it in origanally)  our  friend loved it  pulled it  out  adn  out  flipped the  gift cards..... my SM's  eyes bugged  out  you could  tell she  wanted to jump in the  floor and  scoop up those  cards for  her......   THAT  WAS  PRICELESS!!!!  I was  actually  happy  it  turned  out that  way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
kristieb

Compulsive Crafter

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2006 10:18:45 AM »

Your stories of ungrateful/ unappreciative gift-recievers broke my heart. Handcrafted gifts are the very best kind. It shows that person cares about you enough to spend hours making something they hope you'll like. It takes so much more effort to make a gift than to stop at a music store and get a gift certificate.    

My mom is a fellow crafter. She made me the coolest things when I was a kid and taught me how to appreciate the time and effort someone takes to make you something completly unique. I still have silly crafts she make me as a kid (mop dolls and a wicker basket covered in lace with a teddy bear on top). I love going into her bathroom when I'm at home and seeing the origami high heels and flowers I've made her in with her coolection on perfume bottles. Walking into her computer room, I see the painting I made her when she was having a tough time with work (the best painting I have ever done). My brother has 2 paintings I made him for his 20th birthday hanging in his bedroom.

I made my ex-bf's mom a scarf one year for Christmas and everytime I saw her, she was wearing the scarf. I searched my lys for the perfect yarn for her. Something funky (she's an artist), but wearable.

My current bf is bald and thus is always searching for the perfect toque. On our ski trip this year, I knit him up a grey toque and now it's the only one he wears. He's requested taht I make him one with ear flaps this year and some cookie monster mittens (I don't know why...).

For my best friend's birthday this year, I met her at a coffee shop where she was with some friends (who I didn't know). I gave her a painting and a handknit mohair flower brooch and everyone at the table was saying "you should do an art show!" and "I'd love hand knit stuff."

Last year, my mom knit me the prettiest pale orange scarf. It didn't really match my winter coat, but I wore it all the time because I know that she spent a ton of time looking for that particular yarn for me (she knows I love super soft and fuzzy yarns).

Every year, my Nona gives me something hand knit for Christmas. Some years, it's something that I'd never wear, but I still keep it because I know how much time she spent making it for me. Now I know to ask her for things I'll use (I hope to get mittens or socks this year).

With all of the good stories I have, I find it so hard to believe that someone wouldn't love something handcrafted! Although, I guess you always have to think "does this person appreciate handcrafted items?" Creative and artistic people always love stuff handcrafted.

Good luck in the future!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SparkleHorse
The Green Fairy

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 04, 2006 10:19:34 AM »

OMG ROLFLMAO!!!! Jloveg that is effing hilarious. As my sister says, "Karma's a bitch."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"But why don't you scream now?" Alice asked, holding her hands ready to put over her ears again.

"Why, I've done all the screaming already," said the Queen. "What would be the good of having it all over again?"
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2006 11:09:55 AM »

yep  sweet  justice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
Nymeria
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2006 01:25:07 PM »

omg lol. This is why you ALWAYS take a gift out of the box. Something similar (though not quite as funny) happened with me. I made this great necklace for my MIL with these fabulous tiger's eye beads. I put it in a box with a card that said something like  I hope you enjoy, lots of love, Nymeria". She looked at it and threw it in her basement -- this was 4 years ago. Sure enough this Christmas we're sitting around with one of her friends who is wearing the damn necklace. She said she loved it, I did such a good job, blah blah blah, and then she ends it by saying "And the little card you put in there was so sweet." Considering that I've met this woman, like, twice in my life, you'd think the "lots of love" thing would have tipped her off that it wasn't written for her. Oh well, at least she liked it, right? I hate to have stuff re-gifted, but at least the 2nd recipient was far more appreciative than the initial Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
Anjelle

Spread your wings & fly

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 04, 2006 04:54:25 PM »

I don't have too much problem with people not appreciating the handmade items I gift. Heck, for our office gift exchange, it is required to be something we make ourselves.

The one friend I do have trouble with is a little different. It's not the fact that the item is handmade that she is oblivious to. She simply puts less value on things that don't have a story. Something I made just because I was thinking of her is entirely less appreciated than something she purchased that had a story. I've honestly considered making up stories about the things I make, just to see her reaction. (Don't worry, I won't. It'd be fun, though! Hehe)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Organize, de-clutter, cle-- OH! Shiny!
sandal43
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2006 07:07:22 PM »

I love the story about the gift cards that is too funny.  For my mil's bday
in May I decided not to make anything.  I went to the store and bought
the ugliest ceramic basket I could find.  I filled it with $1 store portpurri.
She loved it.  She put it out where everyone sees it.  I think it is too funny
that I spent about 10 minutes total on a gift she loves.  I spent several
days on her dishcloths and scarf.  Oh, well her loss.  I think I see $1 store
goodies for her for Christmas.  I think my lovely sil will get $1 goodies as
well. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SparkleHorse
The Green Fairy

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2006 06:36:19 AM »

I have seriously considered making tags that look like they came from a chic chic little boutique and maybe not exactly quite crossing out the "price" and see if this fares any better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"But why don't you scream now?" Alice asked, holding her hands ready to put over her ears again.

"Why, I've done all the screaming already," said the Queen. "What would be the good of having it all over again?"
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2006 06:54:58 AM »

I  thought of that too...... my nana mom  said  for me to  start  putting  labels  int eh  purses I sell  cause  some folks  wouldn't  buy them  just  cause there wasn't a  label........  when I start figuring people out someone slap me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dorkariffic
Kind of a hippy.

Hufflepuff Seeker - Dork Extrordinaire

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2006 07:18:57 AM »

I've only gotten that once (probably since I don't do a lot of crafting for other people, aside fdrom swaps), but it really hurt. I made my mother a little throw-pillow thing for Christmas last year. She loves everything about christmas, so I made it from the sleeve of one of the Christmas dresses I had when I was very young, and I added a pretty little heart button and a red ribbon bow. I wanted to add somethnig pine-scented inside to make it a sachet, but I couldn't find anything strong enough that you could smell it outside the fabric, so I just stuffed it.
When she opened it, I think she just said "oh. Thanks." I don't even remember her saying "That's cute," or anything. And she put it back in it's bag on the living room floor, and it's been there ever since.

What I've decided to do about it is to not make her anything. I don't want to put a lot of time, thought, and energy into something, just to have it met with "oh.", so I'll save the homemade gifts for people who appreciate homemade things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LOOKING FOR A PERSONAL SWAP: I'm hoping for dinosaur-themed Xmas crackers, or other dinosaur Xmas items. I can make a Jayne Cobb hat, or many other things!

"Before we begin, I would like to say a few words. And here they are: Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak! Thank you."

Wists & LJ links in pro
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Viviana Guiliani - Artist profile
Artist Painter Viviana Giuliani
Artist Painter Reesa Kadaner Rakita
Denis Douville Profile
Linda Chiumera - Artist Profile
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...