A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 299,190
Currently Running With Scissors:
583 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pride and Prejudice - Or, Why Don't They Like Stuff We MADE?  (Read 8198 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LRS
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2005 06:05:18 AM »

Re: handmade gifts for kids

I like to create for kids, but I get them involved.  When I was going to make fleece scarves for a couple of kids (very easy, quick project), I took them shopping to pick out the fabric.  We tried out scarves I had to decide how long.  They decided if they wanted yarn fringe or self fringe.  And I had them "help" at various stages, like measuring.  When kids are involved, they do get it. 

For little crocheted purses, my niece selected the color, she did a few stitches (which I pulled out after she left), she chose a button. 

When kids are involved and "help", they love their handmade gifts and they're on the path to creating their own things.  You can even let them shop your stash of leftover fabric or yarn.

LRS
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bags & purses:  Elaress.etsy.com
fabric bowls & boxes: ElaressAtHome.etsy.com
radio show/webcast:  www.FrugalYankee.com
ultraviolet
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2005 08:46:45 AM »

When I was in college (before I learned to knit) a really good friend knit me a sweater vest thingy. It was kind of ugly and way too big, but she worked hard on it! I wore it like once, but I wouldn't throw it away. It's in storage at my mom's house. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://blog.threegoodrats.com

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
Eveel

www.sinfulknitter.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2006 09:19:41 AM »

I spent a month making a scarf for my husbands 8 year old nephew.  It was an illusion scarf with skull and crossbones
 http://www.ysolda.me.uk/wordpress/index.php/skull-illusion-knit-scarf/

It was incredibly boring and done on size 7 needles I estimated 6324 stitches. He took one look at it and tossed it over his shoulder.  I nearly cacked.  I am hoping its one of those things that he will like in a few years if they don't throw it out.  I am still tempted to ask for it back.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has justified my packrat behaviour
Eveel

www.sinfulknitter.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2006 09:21:59 AM »

now i only knit for other knitters.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has justified my packrat behaviour
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2006 09:37:20 AM »

This is a  concept that I  just  recently  encountered.
I  spent MONTHS!!!!  makinga  purse that was for my friend (she even picked the pattern) I  told her it would take me a long time since I had never  done  one before.  she  also  picked the material (which I told her she should aim for something more versitile so it would go with more outfits). I told her I would  make it adn I did work on it  steady for  2 months  ATTEMPTING  to get teh  pattern  just so.
I  finally threw the pattern out and made the  bag  from teh  picture....... same result  many less steps. 
I  gave her they  bag  with the  I am sorry it took so long  but that pattern and I weren't getting along well.
She  said "well, dang, now   this doesn't even match any of my stuff anymore  never mind I will just sell it".
THEN  sold it to our other mutual friend for $40. I  fell over!  I  know for a  fact she had less than 15 in supplies. and I DID THE WORK. and she neve once told her it was one I made.   now  that  was  harsh!!!
I  have  come to realize some  folks  just  don't  have  any clue on the time and love and care we put into things.  and  since many folks are now self indulgent adn spoiled they don't care about the *it's the thought that counts*.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
SparkleHorse
The Green Fairy

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2006 09:40:34 AM »

Wow jloveg... That's rough. 

Eveel, I love your scarf even if the 8-year-old didn't.  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"But why don't you scream now?" Alice asked, holding her hands ready to put over her ears again.

"Why, I've done all the screaming already," said the Queen. "What would be the good of having it all over again?"
Nymeria
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2006 09:50:47 AM »

Over the years I have learned what I have dubbed the "Golden Craftster Rule": Only make gifts for people you KNOW will appreciate them. That sounds harsh, but it's something I have embraced after years of disappointment. For instance I will never make anything for my dad or his wife again simply because they don't understand the work or effort that goes into these things. They look at them and just see something that I made and think "Oh. Isn't that quaint." -_-

Part of the problem is that they aren't crafters, so not only do they not understand the work, time and effort behind a homemade gift, they also don't understand that act of love that a homemade gift can be. My dad thinks I was just being cheap and didn't want to buy something -- when I think all crafters know that 7 times out 10 it would be cheaper to BUY a gift than to make it!

So I offer HUGE amounts of empathy to folks who have gotten burned giving homemade gifts to people. But all I can say is evaluate the recipient before you give it. Some signs of disappointment -- from my experience -- are things like if a friend asks you "Can you make this real quick?" or if they act surprised when you say "It might take me awhile..." and I have never had good luck with someone seeing something at Nordstroms or some other chic-chic department store and asking if I can try to "copy" it. These people usually don't realize that I can make something very similar, but not an exact copy.

My response now when asked to make things is usually "I'm not sure, but I could probably show you how to", or I have them buy the supplies. As we're approaching the "OMG can you make me a Harry Potter scarf?!?" season, I'm all ready to give people a list of mats. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2006 09:52:00 AM »

another thing that  gets  me  is this......
I am froma  LARGE! family.  32 now at christmas gathering and thats  jsut  us kids and our  kids.

anyway  I  have been for years  now  getting my kids (8 and 6)  to make the  gifts they  want to give to  people  since it  comes  from teh heart that  way  and  I figure MOST  family  likes to get  gifts from kids that they  make.  YEAH  RIGHT!  my  Daughter  took  her  birthday money to buy a latch hook rug to make for my step mom. from July to october she  worked on it. adn  did a  great  job. it  had  really pretty  flower designs.  anyway  my step mom looked at it adn my little girl who said I MADE this special for  you! and  she  said oh thats cute and laid it  down....no thanks  no hug  no  nothing........  but when she opened teh guitar picks (another family member went on vacation)  from dolly world she  jsut  showed them off and  all......  like  she  even  plays  quitar  either.......  it  was  someones  old  suviener  they  didn't  want  anymore nad  she  raved  over it.  My baby cried  and  swore she would never  get her  another  gift  EVER!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
sandal43
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2006 07:15:33 AM »

I spent several weeks last year sewing and knitting for family for Christmas.
I made several dishcloths for mil and sil.  I made 3 pairs of wristwarmers for
sil per her request.  I made bil and fil hats and neckwarmers that were knit
or sewn from fleece.  A beautiful chunky knit hat for niece that wears hats.
A beautiful neckwarmer for other niece in her favorite color.  I got a oh that's nice from sil.  Mil told me later she decided to throw away dishcloths
and buy some at store.  Sil held up beautiful neckwarmer in front of her
daughter and asked What is this supposed to be?  I explained she then threw it back in the box and said well she'll never wear it.  Both nieces also
got Sha Sha bags made in there favorite colors.  I was told later by mil that they didn't like any of the gifts.  I decided in the future to only knit or
sew for hubby and sons.  Family will get store items bought on clearance in
future.  It was a harsh lesson to learn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2006 07:58:33 AM »

sandal that  was  way  harsh!!!  man alive  how  rude that  family  was! you can knit me a  neck warmer  I would  lvoe it!  LOL 
You know  its  funny I have  blankets  people gave me when my kids were born that someone knitted/ sewed/crotched  for  there children and their kids  out grew them I have them here STILL in use and can't  bare to throw them away for I know  someone out there  somewhere  lovingly made it for someone else.....     is that as  over the top as it  sounds!  Hubby  harps on me all the time when I am at yard sales and I grab up those  ugly orange and brown or green adn pink hideous been in the  basement smelling  blankets nad  jsut  fall all over that they aren't  cared for  better.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Southern Heritage BBQ Restaurant
The Relish Cooking Show Dublin Georgia
The Relish Cooking Show Kinston Highlights
A Visit to Chef and the Farmer Restaurant
The North Carolina Relish Expo
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...