A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 300,947
Currently Running With Scissors:
428 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yummy Felted Crochet Handbags!  (Read 28410 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

scandibird
« on: May 02, 2004 04:41:22 AM »

I've seen all the nice knitted and felted handbags and being absoluteley useless at knitting I decided to crochet some instead!!

I got a big hook (no 10 I think) and some really cheap wool from a discount shop (5 NOK. Roughly 0.40, 0,50 EURO, $0,70 etc etc...) and started crocheting (with double thread) 'til there was no more yarn left!

I totally winged it, so there's no pattern. I'ts basically just DC, but instead of doing one long piece and sewing up the sides afterwards to make the bagshape I didn't stop and turn when I reached the end of the initial chain. I kept going 'around' and picked up the 'opposite' loops to the ones I'd just done. If that makes sense... I imagine it's a lot like knitting in the round, 'coz instead of stopping and turning all the time you can just keep going and going and going and going... veeery relaxing and you might find you'll have to unravel again occasionally.... Smiley

The handles I made on one of those round things you can hold with 4 prongs at the top that you wrap the yarn around and, magically, a long 'worm' comes out the bottom... Sorry, have no idea what it's called.  Roll Eyes
Then I just stuck it through the stitches and made a big knot. (This has  obviously got to be done before washing it as the felting will tighten the wool and secure the handles. If it's not secure enough, tie another knot.)

I added some beads to the pink one and they look really nice and sparkly in real life, but don't really show in the pic. I also thought it would be nice to add some felted crochet flowers and leaves to some of them but I had ran out of wool... Sad

For a bit of security I added some velcro at the top for fastening.

Lastly, mine shrunk about 2/3 so if you want a biiig bag you need to make it about the size of a plastic bag before shrinking. Small ones are nice & cute though!

Phew!! I'll shut up and show you the pics now!  Wink

« Last Edit: May 02, 2004 04:42:37 AM by scandibird » THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeppyCat
I've never licked a spark plug.

www.beppycat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004 04:50:49 AM »

I'm coveting those!  They're seriously soooo pretty looking.  I love that you crocheted them too, because I'm just not much of a knitter, but love the felting thing.  

I'm so glad you reminded me of the around and around technique.  I made a bag for Barbie (for my niece) like that with crochet cotton once, but it's so small that I never thought to apply it to a big one, lol.

One question:  Did you make any increases to have the bag larger at the top than the bottom (like the one in the first picture)?  Or did that happen naturally?  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And I don't look good in leggings.

http://beppycat.blogspot.com/
Lurkers and commentors welcome.
Lots of crocheting and sewing and knitting!  Pretty much my life for your consumption.
pickledkitty
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2004 07:31:39 AM »

Be-Eeee-AA- Utiful! I like muchos Grin
Love the colors and all that nonsense
Especially the pinks;p
How did you felt yours? Ex. how many times washed exceterea?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mojo
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004 08:49:21 AM »

Fabulous bags!!  I must make!!  Can someone clarify this "around and around" crochet technique?  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

scandibird
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2004 09:58:52 AM »

Glad you like them!

Q: One question:  Did you make any increases to have the bag larger at the top than the bottom (like the one in the first picture)?  Or did that happen naturally?  

To be quite honest I'm still figuring out what to to at the end of each round so the shapes are a bit odd and different from eachother...
On the top one it happened automatically because I was kinda randomly picking up stitches at the end. I've mostly done slip stitches at the end of round, then 2 chains and then a DC to start the round again, but haven't decided on what's best yet. If anyone has any good ideas/solutions, let me know!!!

Q: How did you felt yours? Ex. how many times washed exceterea?

Some people measure gauge, do a test felting and figure out percentages and stuff but I'm very 'accidental' when I felt... I like the surprise when you open the machine and see how things turn out!! So I just throw it in the machine, wash on a full cycle, 40 degrees and if it hasn't shrunk enough I wash it again.
If it still isn't to my liking I wash it on 60. It will make it really nice and thick, but also very small...

Q: Can someone clarify this "around and around" crochet technique? 

I'm not good at explaining things, but here it goes. Make a row of chains, DC in 3rd chain from hook keep going until you reach the end. Don't turn and go back on yourself but pick up the loop opposite the loop you just made a DC in. Same chain, other side of it. Continue picking up the 'back' loop of every chain until you get back to the start of your DC's. Hope that makes it a bit clearer..
 Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
coolbeans

This hot chocolate is so frothy.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2004 08:38:30 PM »

I love the handbags.  I've seen the cutest knitted handbags and was sad because I have no idea how to knit.  I'm excited to try it out now.

I was just wondering how big did you have to make the handbag before you felted it?  Oh, and how did you start?

Those are wicked cute handbags.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carlins_mom

"Keep Smiling, they'll wonder what you're hiding"

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2004 07:53:11 PM »

Those are reallllllllllly beautiful pieces.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dahlea
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2004 09:09:30 PM »

What is the difference between knitting and crocheting? Is it just the difference between having a hook and not? I've been teaching myself knitting and I don't see the difference between yours and knitting. Your handbags are BEAUTIFUL. Awesome job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scandibird
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2004 01:28:22 PM »

Thanks!  Smiley

What is the difference between knitting and crocheting? Is it just the difference between having a hook and not?

Here's a crochet page you can check out if you want:

http://crochet.about.com/library/blbeginners.htm

Hmm, both methods let you produce a piece of 'solid material' from a string so generally speaking it's kinda the same... Grin

Coolbeans, check out above thread for starting instructions. For a smallish bag I'd probably start with about 40-45 chains. Any more than that and it tends to get a bit tedious working on it after a while... feels like you're neeever going to finish or you run out of yarn.. very upsetting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snowtigress
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2004 05:09:22 PM »

I have looked all over for how to felt things...does anyone have a link for a page with instructions?  Thanks very much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Prepare Barbecued Marinated Chicken
How to Cook a Chicken Ramen
How to Prepare Chicken Livers and Cauliflower Puree
How to Cook Grilled Tuna with Green Olive Relish
How to Prepare Bagels With Three Fillings
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...