A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
544 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Attaching my finished embroidery to other things?  (Read 708 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

artgeek
« on: September 26, 2005 01:55:07 AM »

It's just like me to start a project without a full idea of how to complete it, but I'm hoping craftsters will come to my rescue!

I'm doing two projects:
- a WonderWoman embroidery
- a series of five embroidery pieces inspired by Ani Difranco lyrics

Each of these is being done on plain white cotton, but when they're completed I'd like to attach them to my apron and a set of woven kitchen towels respectively (I didn't embroider directly on the towels because they're a variety of solid colors, some quite dark).

I'm thinking something like this project or this one.

How, exactly, do I go about doing this? What's the best way to finish the edges of the fabric I'm already doing the embroidery on? Any other pointers for me? I've embroidered a few things in the past, but always stitched directly on the skirt, towel, pillowcase, whathaveyou.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and ideas!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Recently completed:  a set of Ani Difranco kitchen towels  |   Currently taking up my craft desk:  massive reorganization of my stuff
BlankGirl

im a ghost gone mad, an angel in the dopesmoke

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005 07:43:59 AM »

ani defranco.....drool. ......anyway, i think that you could just do a simple back stich around the border to secure it, you can also use this sticky stuff that you iron on but i dont know much about that so youll have to ask someone about that. have you ever thought of making handbags and then sewinf your embroidery on that?(i make alot of handbags by doing that)
It's just like me to start a project without a full idea of how to complete it, but I'm hoping craftsters will come to my rescue!

I'm doing two projects:

Each of these is being done on plain white cotton, but when they're completed I'd like to attach them to my apron and a set of woven kitchen towels respectively (I didn't embroider directly on the towels because they're a variety of solid colors, some quite dark).

How, exactly, do I go about doing this? What's the best way to finish the edges of the fabric I'm already doing the embroidery on? Any other pointers for me? I've embroidered a few things in the past, but always stitched directly on the skirt, towel, pillowcase, whathaveyou.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I paint these little pictures with a temporary poison. each one just like the other. i wonder why i even bother.
BlankGirl

im a ghost gone mad, an angel in the dopesmoke

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005 07:44:37 AM »

ani defranco.....drool. ......anyway, i think that you could just do a simple back stich around the border to secure it, you can also use this sticky stuff that you iron on but i dont know much about that so youll have to ask someone about that. have you ever thought of making handbags and then sewing your embroidery on that?(i make alot of handbags by doing that)

I'm doing two projects:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I paint these little pictures with a temporary poison. each one just like the other. i wonder why i even bother.
Chrislea
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005 01:08:08 AM »

I can contribute that hot glue and aida do NOT like each other.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hayling
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006 09:56:54 AM »

I had the same problem when trying to make a pillow out of a Subversive pattern I did.  The fuseable webbing works really well.  You can get it in big pieces and strips.  I ironed the ribbon along the edges so I didn't have to hem the aida, then put the little buttons on so I ddin't have to deal with the ribbon edges (sneaky I know!).  If you're super-lazy like me, instead of sewing the buttons on, cut the backs off and glue them on!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...