A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,809
Currently Running With Scissors:
408 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jordy Bag - made with couch upholstery fabric! (Images)  (Read 2056 times)
Tags for this thread: jordy_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: September 25, 2005 08:01:47 PM »

Hi everyone.  I've been reading craftster for ages, but never made anything or posted...until now.

I made a Jordy bag yesterday - first bag I've ever made - and I'm happy with the way it came out.  I used Jordy's original tute for instructions, and used Sewpixie's tute for the pocket in the interior lining. 

There's a label on the inside of the bag "made by.." that I printed onto fabric through my printer!  I just ironed the fabric onto freezer paper, made sure it was completely flat, then printed the labels out. Worked perfectly.  The fabric was a very fine, very light-weight poly cotton, but I'm sure any closely woven fabric would work.

I ironed heavy-weight non-woven interfacing onto the back of the outer fabric.  I've used this brand before and it stands up well, and doesn't go all "orange peely".  The fabric is a heavy-weight upholstery chenille-ey type fabric that I got super bargain! I got 3metres for $8, and it's 2m wide! I can make like 25million Jordy bags out of what's left...lol.  The interfacing allows the bag to stand up by itself.

Tip: The only thing I'd say after making it is, if you're like me; and not really the most precise sewer in the world - make up the outer part of your bag first, so that you know the "finished" size of your bag, that way when you sew up the lining you can tailor it to the bag size.  I made the lining first, and it turned out bigger than the outer fabric, and caused havoc when I went to sew it all together.

The last photo is a funky little retractable measuring tape I jazzed up.  I just spray glued the fabric on, handsewed the ribbon, and ironed on those daisys.  I had to sew on those teeny tiny buttons.

Hope you like it.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005 08:09:10 PM by blytheswideshut » THIS ROCKS   Logged
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2005 08:09:03 PM »

Adorable bag!! I love the fabrics you used. Where did you find the lining fabric of the bag?
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2005 08:15:22 PM »

I ordered it online.  I'm not sure if I can post the name/link to the store here.  But the fabric was very cheap - compared to other retail / online stores. You can email me if you want the link.  It's a Michael Miller fabric, called "China Girls".
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2005 09:23:11 PM »

Very nice. Very nice indeed.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world." - Margaret Mead

I play with art.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005 08:28:21 PM »

I love that bag! I mean I absolutely LOVE that bag!

Are you really sure that a floor can't also be a ceiling?
-M. C. Escher
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2005 09:11:48 AM »

That is so cute!  I like the lining a lot.  The exterior fabric will go with so many things - you could make all kinds of bags. Nice job!

and we'd be like oooh we're in a movie.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005 09:47:20 AM »

very cool

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005 09:55:09 AM »

Ridiculously beautifuL! I love it! Upholstery fabric is great for purses.
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005 07:13:20 AM »

What a lot of good ideas all rolled into one bag. Great photo's too. I love the bag and it's lining.

Thanks for the info on the tag. Great work!

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005 08:05:50 PM »

I don't know if you guys know this but furniture stores throw out there couch fabric samplers... you know the big folders of fabric samples for getting your couch covered...

I am sure if you asked for them they would put them aside for you next clear out...

We got some once but we were collecting for a church craft group... but think of the possabilities..!!

My Website is
& now www.craftgossip.com

Free & Funky Craft Projects
Step by Step instructions
Soap & Beauty Recipes
Knitting & Sewing Projects
and 1000's more projects
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Cracker Jack Ice Cream
How to Make an Elevated Waffle Taco With a Gourmet Twist
Kurt Warner’s Turkey Burger Sliders
5 Ways To Put A Twist On a PB&J
How to Thaw a Frozen Turkey
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Felt Basket
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...