Hi everyone. I've been reading craftster for ages, but never made anything or posted...until now.
I made a Jordy bag yesterday - first bag I've ever made - and I'm happy with the way it came out. I used Jordy's original tute for instructions, and used Sewpixie's tute for the pocket in the interior lining.
There's a label on the inside of the bag "made by.." that I printed onto fabric through my printer! I just ironed the fabric onto freezer paper, made sure it was completely flat, then printed the labels out. Worked perfectly. The fabric was a very fine, very light-weight poly cotton, but I'm sure any closely woven fabric would work.
I ironed heavy-weight non-woven interfacing onto the back of the outer fabric. I've used this brand before and it stands up well, and doesn't go all "orange peely". The fabric is a heavy-weight upholstery chenille-ey type fabric that I got super bargain! I got 3metres for $8, and it's 2m wide! I can make like 25million Jordy bags out of what's left...lol. The interfacing allows the bag to stand up by itself.Tip:
The only thing I'd say after making it is, if you're like me; and not really the most precise sewer in the world - make up the outer part of your bag first, so that you know the "finished" size of your bag, that way when you sew up the lining you can tailor it to the bag size. I made the lining first, and it turned out bigger than the outer fabric, and caused havoc when I went to sew it all together.
The last photo is a funky little retractable measuring tape I jazzed up. I just spray glued the fabric on, handsewed the ribbon, and ironed on those daisys. I had to sew on those teeny tiny buttons.
Hope you like it.