A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,698
Currently Running With Scissors:
545 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vogue dress pattern V2880  (Read 15997 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

caradee
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006 10:46:57 PM »

whats a muslim?

Muslims are practitioners of the Islamic religion, if I'm not mistaken.

that made my day!! lol.

anyhow, I agree, patience and dilligence.  things like pinning, marking and pressing make all the difference in the world when it comes to garments!!! good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewing. felting. dyeing. hot glue bandit.
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006 10:25:36 AM »

I wanted to tack on that yes, you totally can make this dress if you're a beginner.

For shits and giggles I made one myself, and I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to.

Just make sure that you copy down ALL of the markings on the pattern onto your dress. You'd hate yourself bigtime if you didn't.

Other than that, I didn't find anything extrodinarily difficult, just incredibly time consuming. If you want to make this dress, make sure you give yourself at least 6 weeks to do it..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The earth, stained with the blood of a thousand dying soldiers, weeps as she welcomes them home.

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/3wl9/1
spaz2phreek
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2006 12:24:17 PM »

oh so happy. I love love love this pattern and am totally considering but it looked a little daunting. I think i'll pick it up, though. May not sew it for some time but I will eventually......... .......
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft till it hurts.
ChicaQueDiceRawr
Woman of Letters

Je t'aime mon poisson rouge.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006 08:23:22 AM »

I didn't start this thread...but you ladies really really helped me.

A couple weeks ago, I saw this dress pattern on the Vogue website and just about died. It's perfect....like the thread's author said "I'm obsessed!"

I'm going to be making the long pattern in white (since it's going to be my wedding dress! *does a happy dance*) so I immediately hopped on this forum to see if anyone had encountered this pattern and if I'd be shooting myself in the foot if I tried it. Thankfully most of you say this dress isn't impossible. Good news for me: I'm a beginner at garment sewing...so I was a little daunted by the task. Thankfully I talked to my fiance's mother (who is crafty beyond all reason and an excellent seamstress...just a cool lady all around *smile*) and she said she'd be more than glad to help out!

Well, the wedding won't be for a while (next spring at the earliest...we're still working on a good date)...but if anyone wants to see the finished product for the long pattern (and doesn't mind waiting *laughs*), I'll post some shots of the process and the dress being worked on...plus pictures of it in all its glory on the wedding day!

Thanks so much for all the pointers ladies.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. -- Dr. Seuss
ohdanigirl
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010 10:34:34 PM »

I was going to make this my wedding dress for my beach wedding & chickened out. Ended up finding the $1200 beaded corset ballgown that I fell in love with on Craigslist for $245, but that's another story. Feeling no guilt for trashing that dress on the beach: priceless.
Anyways.
I am 1,000 miles away from my mother and the Singer machine I know well. I just got the Kenmore that I inherited from my grandmother tuned up - it has been sitting unused for over a decade. I am going to get to know this machine as I make aprons as Christmas gifts: matching sets of adult, child & doll size - then get down to bidness and order a silk sample swatch set to see what suits my fancy.
I agree with making a muslin - I'm 5'3" and a 38DD; obviously some pattern adjustments are in order. Many times I end up cutting out 2 different pattern sizes and Frankensteining them together. No easy task on this pattern considering the asymmetric bodice & hemline. And I will likely have to shorten the hemline for my short ass.
I've read through the instructions more than a few times, and there is no demand for a surger, just a heck of a lot of patience. Making ruffles will be my hobby for a while.
The shoulder straps call for boning, which I  love the thought of: off the shoulder sexy that STAYS IN PLACE! HALLELUJAH! I just might sew boning into a few other things hanging around my closet.
This dress just begs for slinky fabrics. I'm using 100% silk: shantung for the shell & lining, chiffon for the skirting and ruffles.
Here's the deal with slinky fabrics: use  ball point needles. Otherwise you just perforate the fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Silver_McAdams
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010 01:15:33 PM »

I can't tell you if it is tough to make or not, but I love it too. I have been looking for a casual wedding dress pattern, and stumbled across this a couple of weeks ago. A friend has offered to make my wedding dress for me, and I may have her make this one. It is in my top three.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Misse
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010 12:54:52 AM »

I was so happy to find this conversation! I am also going to make this for my wedding dress. I have been sewing (off-and-on) since I was a little girl..so about 22 years now. I use to look into pattern shops every now and then for some inspiration, but I almost never buy any of these patterns. Instead I try to "understand" how this garment is put together and why there are certain parts that need to be in it. Then I simply just sketch my own version of it and figure out by myself what kind of fabric to use and what pieces to cut...and then I just put it together.

Even though I have been sewing for a long time I seem to never really succeed with these patterns. For me it feels just like too much work to try to get into how someone else would put this dress together. Let's face it: patterns are just suggestions of how you could do a garment - it is not like the absolute truth.

My advise is to be creative and make this dress your own, by drawing your own pattern (which gives you the opportunity to make it fit perfect) and then put it all together as you wish.

I will post some pics when I get into doing this dress. Sewing should not be a struggle, it should be a wonderful flowing feeling of love and inspiration.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ohdanigirl
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011 06:23:13 PM »

Got the muslin to this pattern made - and it fits!.
Mostly. I shortened the shoulder straps and I'll shorten the torso pieces by about 3" just so the gathers don't add bulk around my middle. Pattern piece #7 is supposed to be gathered, but I think I will make it match the un gathered foundation pieces underneath to, again, eliminate bulk.
But, overall I (and my husband!) like the fit.
I'm using 100% silk for the chiffon overlay, China silk foundation, and maybe raw silk lining.
I didn't make the skirt or all those ruffled edges in muslin.
I've been checking out YouTube for advice on sewing with silk & how to do rolled hems.

Boldly going forward!

D.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How Hands On Experience Shapes Design Career Path - Ross Floate
Ross Floate on Designing Great Products One Use Case at a Time
Designer Nate Berkus On Losing His Partner And Coping With Grief
The Things That Matter - Designer Nate Berkus Gets Personal
How to Turn an Old T-Shirt Into a Sexy Top
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...